Author Topic: spuare tube driveshaft debate  (Read 4462 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: spuare tube driveshaft debate
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:10:11 PM »
CLANK CLANK CLANK BANG CLANK....last time I saw one I asked the guy what broke on his truck when he pulled up at the campsite....he said, "oh nothing broke....thats just my driveshaft"

:yesnod:

true story
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

88toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
:rofl:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
mine is more like a gentle ticking.  It isn't very loud at all.  Like I said, I did wrap the inner tube in duct tape before I wedged it into the outer sleeve, to eat up space.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
they are only loud and clanky when the duct tape needs to be serviced, which was about once a year when i had one
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
My engine is louder than the clank (which is very intermittent and I dont use duct tape either) which itself I only hear from time to time. For the price Im not complaining :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
when I made mine I run a small bead down two opp. sides of shaft with welder  mine slides good but very quiet
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
CLANK CLANK CLANK BANG CLANK....last time I saw one I asked the guy what broke on his truck when he pulled up at the campsite....he said, "oh nothing broke....thats just my driveshaft"

:yesnod:

true story
Was that me?  :yupyup:

Ya know for the first two years it didn't make a sound. These last two have been verry hard on it though, it must be wore pretty bad, couse it makes lots of noise in 4wd. I need to run a weld bead down each side to tighten it back up.

No matter how loud it seems I wouldn't trade it for one of those high dollar. I just cant see destroying a $600 driveshaft on the rocks, when a $30 driveshaft holds up so well. My square front is gonna beround sood enough , couse I keep using the rocks as a sort of lathe to round the corners.  :screwy:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
The loud square shafts all seem to be made of receiver tubing which is a super loose fit even when new and makes for a tank of a shaft.  All of them that I have built for myself and friends have been 1 1/2x1/4" inner and 2x1/4" outer.  Nice snug fit and only a slight clicking when the hubs are locked and the case is in 2x.  I have driven many miles at near highway speeds with mine as have my buddies going from trail to trail with the hubs locked and none of us have had any issue so far. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
i have a square driveline on my dd no problems on the street the only problem i have is not from the square drive line it from the locker in the front when im in 4-lo on the trail trying to make a tight turn.....
if already put about 10000 miles on my rig since built and alsways had the square in the front....
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
i had my front and rear round DL's done for $100....... no vibs at 75mph  :yesnod:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
The loud square shafts all seem to be made of receiver tubing which is a super loose fit even when new and makes for a tank of a shaft.  All of them that I have built for myself and friends have been 1 1/2x1/4" inner and 2x1/4" outer.  Nice snug fit and only a slight clicking when the hubs are locked and the case is in 2x.  I have driven many miles at near highway speeds with mine as have my buddies going from trail to trail with the hubs locked and none of us have had any issue so far. 
Thats the same tube I use. I would recommend it for a nice tight fit. It will wear just as any other though. I built one using reciever tube, but it has since been used as a reciever tube. The reciever tube definately has more play than the 1/4 wall tube. I had to grind a groove in the inner pice to clearance for the seam of the outer tube.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
I used the reciever tube as well.  Followed the directions that minisimp posted.  Mine isn't tight by any means, but it really isn't that loose. 2-3 wraps of duct tape was all  I needed to get it pretty dang quiet.  :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
Was that me?  :yupyup:

Yea, that was you.... :rofl:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #43 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »
i had my front and rear round DL's done for $100....... no vibs at 75mph  :yesnod:
But can you say this: I made my front and rear shafts square, they are both interchangeable and I can rest the entire weight of my truck on a pointed rock supported by my driveline only, and no vibrations at 70mph. :gap:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
Almost... my rear shaft is .188 DOM... I've abused the hell out of it and it doesnt have any dent as of yet.  SO I have under $200 into both drivelines. :)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
But can you say this: I made my front and rear shafts square, they are both interchangeable and I can rest the entire weight of my truck on a pointed rock supported by my driveline only, and no vibrations at 70mph. :gap:

no i cant but i sure as hell dont want ANY weight on ANY part of my drivelines especially the weight of my whole truck..... pinions and output shafts dont exactly like that much weight on them....... plus things that are round tend to turn smoother than square.......... soooooo i'll just stick with my toyota DL's!!!! BUT I'm glad you can park your vehicle with either DL on a pointed rock without damage, gotta give you two        up there!!!!! :thumpup:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)