Author Topic: Whats the dumbest thing you have done offroad?  (Read 5859 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
:rofl: u gotta explain!
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Let's just say muddy grass and a foolsize dodge cummins don't mix...

toby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
I was 16, borrowed my dads truck. Saw a hill I thought I would try to climb in 2wd. Truck was spinning tires making no more forward progress. Started backing down looked to my right, there was a very large tree almost on the pass side fender. Stopped told my buddy to lock in the hubs, he got out locked them in, I turned the wheels to the left, put it in low range, revved it up and dumped the clutch. Would have worked great my only problem was I forgot to put the truck in first. Lets just say my dad wasn't real happy when I brought his truck home. I tried to make up a story as to how the pass fender was nearly ripped off his truck, never thinking he would go to place I wrecked it and investigate what really happened.
I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile

I went throught a puddle too fast and sucked in some water

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
I almost rolled my jeep down a hill in my nieghborhood... got stuck then a cop saw us..  700 dollar tow bill because she wouldnt let me recover it... then a criminal trespass ticket that was waived but still cost me 50 more..
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
only real "dumb" thing i ever did  was go through a mud pitt that was way to deep for my truck....went in with 4wd-hi with O/D on!! lol
didnt notice till after i got stuck and went to engage 4-low
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

Hawk Thor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
I jumped my ´89 4dr Hilux on some small grasshill that we had been playing with. It went about two feet in the air and the rear suspension dropped down so the shackles swung all the way back and when I landed, I laid frame on the leaves and the truck slammed down hard. I tried to move the shackles back into position with a crowbar but to no avail. So I drove home like this, with no rear suspension, bouncing on every small curb or pothole. I then fixed it with a handwinch and a crowbar a few days later. After this I pretty much stopped jumping my truck.

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
lol, my budy did that with his 96 ram, and his 67 buick...
both bottomed out and stoppped instantly on impact haha

64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
We took a fire road once in a dodge colt... :disturbed:  We went down this section of road that swooped down and then back up through a section of trees (needless to say we couldn't help but goes real fast here) and it ended on this large flat open area like a plateau. We caught a little air coming out onto the plateau and then we parked for a bit.

As soon as we decided to get going the starter wouldn't work.  :smack:  Turns out either while running down the bumpy a$$ road or catching air the small wire had come loose from the starter.  :_oops: We got it going and made our way down the road only to catch air again on a large dirt mogul in the road.  We  :rofl2: like hell because my buddy's GF was asleep on the back seat and she caught air too.  :talkingn:

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
... i almost bought a jeep...  :ack:
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
... i almost bought a jeep...  :ack:
haha nice

64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Doughnuts once flipped my crawler
Doughnuts twice blew up the rearend in my buddies truck while he was out of town
You'll never take me alive

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Over confidence a couple of years ago, deep mud hole and son in law (co-pilot) to pull out winch cable.
Turns out little mud hole was made worse all summer by log skidders then filled up in fall  :nonono:
   DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition

3. Dont listen to a spotter that drives a Jeep

Lol.  Sometimes you can't even listen to your *regular* spotter.   haha. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Drove down into a lakebed one time at my wifes request. Didn't think much of it, cause it was all rocky and not much sand. Didn't bother to air down, or lock in the hubs. Made it quite a ways in, then suddenly the back end just sunk. I stopped before it got too bad, winched myself out, and promptly locked in the hubs.

It had started raining by this point, and I was going to pick up my kids who had wandered down the lake-bed a bit. I turned around, and started back out. Made it about 200' and all 4 just started sinking. Buried it to the frame-rails. Fortunately I had all my recovery gear with me (always do), but still took 6 hours of digging, winching, swearing, freezing and cussing before it finally came free. I actually think the reason I got out OK, was 'cause it started to freeze, and the ground became more solid.

Lesson learned: Treat every off-pavement excursion like it may turn serious, even if it don't look bad.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
i think the time i felt the dumbest off road was when me and a few frends went to Pismo sand dunes, they had yotas i decided to drive my 98 chevy tahoe w/ 6" lift and 33s does really good in the dunes usually(i can hold 80mph on sand highway). My frends(in yotas) decide to turn sudenly up the hill, it was really soft sand, my chevy was too heavy, and i was in 2wd, so i started to get stuck. I stoped, on a slight incline of this super soft sand put it in 4wd then got out to see if i could keep going, i decided to back out of it, so i got in put it in reverse, and i left my door open(so i could see if i was just spinnin tires and making it worse. Then for some reason i pinned it in reverse while i was looking out of the open door. Yep you guessed it i got a face full of sand, my door pannle pocket was full and my window and door lock switches where packed with sand so u couldnt use them, i felt like an idiot, i have almost done the same thing in the mud but i was quick enought to shut my door.

dumbest thing i have done on pavment was a dirt to pavment burn out. i was in a dirt lot doin doghnuts with that 98 tahoe and when i left i hit a gnarly ditch that bounced my rear end about 4 feet in the air, my wheels where spinnin like crazy, when i landed on pavment i not only snaped my axle but i blew the trans as well

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Doughnuts once flipped my crawler
Doughnuts twice blew up the rearend in my buddies truck while he was out of town

sounds like doughnuts should not be allowed  2 drive

Over confidence a couple of years ago, deep mud hole and son in law (co-pilot) to pull out winch cable.
Turns out little mud hole was made worse all summer by log skidders then filled up in fall  :nonono:
   DanS

well you can allways paddle your way out :hahaha:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
dumbest thing i ever did was let Team Ramrod drive my truck 10 feet.

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
dumbest thing i ever did was let Team Ramrod drive my truck 10 feet.
HAHA thats y i usually dont let any one else drive my rig

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Hit a ditch in the Powerstroke with my fourwheeler in the back going a little to fast. Went through the back window and also messed up the roof! That sucked

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
ouch!

newbe94

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
broke a birf going straight  :smack:

i just got longs :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009, 08:31:52 AM by newbe94 »

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
by far the most stupid thing i did was sinking my first wheeler[68 bronco] to mid window in a"mud pit" which was actually a drainage pit in the arizona desert.cost 500 to get it out and to the pavement. moral of the story was look before you leap I've come along way in 20 years
it's not me, it's you

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
i decided to back out of it, so i got in put it in reverse, and i left my door open(so i could see if i was just spinnin tires and making it worse. Then for some reason i pinned it in reverse while i was looking out of the open door.

Did the same thing, 'cept found a row of mailboxes instead, and bent the door almost completley backwards. Pretty dumb stuff.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
ahhhh hahahahaha GERM!!!!!!!!! I did the same thing in my old cj I pulled up to the mailbox to get the mail opened the door grabbed the mail. went to drive forward was stuck in the snow so i put it in four wheel tried to go forward no luck... reverse was spinning but it seemed like i would grab so I gave it a little more gas and by god I flew backwards (door still open) it bent the door clear to the hood (brick mailbox) wasnt too bad though because all that holds the doors from opening that far was a fabric strap..... still coulda been bad in another vehicle and I bet the nieghbors had a good laugh... I got stuck on a huge pile of snow in my cul-de-sac had to have the neighbor lady pull me out in a durango haha never did live that down.
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

mitchell

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -131
  • Male Posts: 138
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
back in my jeep days i had a 94 yj 8" lift 35s lockers winch feelin like a bad ass
my wife and i were leaving walmart and there was a feild behind walmart with a lot of deep rain ruts and i said hey lets go play
and we did and we got high centered in a rut all four wheels were off the ground and not a thing within a 100 yds to hook the winch to  :_oops2:
anyway i felt pretty stupid :imwithstupid:
some guy in a stock Z71 got close enough that i could hook the winch to
i said thanks and  :bolt:
"A smile on the lips and a hole in the head"

Elven

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
Wheeling with old Jeep giving rides through the woods and through a creek bed multiple times and went to far in loose river rock bottom 31" tires no lockers no winch.  Look at the DS front tire My nephew was standing on the tire and notice PS front tire is in the fender kind of a good hole good thing the sway bar was unhooked  :shake:....Air box was just above water thank goodness an hour later a 20" chain and a come-a-long later I was back on dry land with nothing in the dash working till the next day after 2 hours of the defrost being on and drains unplugged. 

newbe94

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Wheeling with old Jeep giving rides through the woods and through a creek bed multiple times and went to far in loose river rock bottom 31" tires no lockers no winch.  Look at the DS front tire My nephew was standing on the tire and notice PS front tire is in the fender kind of a good hole good thing the sway bar was unhooked  :shake:....Air box was just above water thank goodness an hour later a 20" chain and a come-a-long later I was back on dry land with nothing in the dash working till the next day after 2 hours of the defrost being on and drains unplugged. 

its a jeep thing   :therethere:

Elven

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
LOL I guess well just a couple months later it fell in love with a 92' Bonneville at 75 mph on it's part..... ::)   :_oops: