Author Topic: 22r tune up, need help  (Read 13208 times)

Gary Briggs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Re: 22r tune up, need help
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »
why go with a weber? Alot of people on here run Weber's and are unhappy with them.  The asin carb IMO is a really good carb and you get to keep all you emission stuff on like it's suppose to be for cali.Glen you wanna chime in here??  Look around on here and on pirate for the arguments that people have about wether to go with the weber or asin.  Just my  :twocents: but i was looking into a weber carb at one time but then me and the old man sat down and figured the asin out and i've never had one problem with it since. Why put and american made carb on your truck when your going to all this trouble to keep most of it toyota anyways???

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
I heard that Spitfire (the company) say their plugs are not recemended for imports unless this has changed.
never heard that, all i know is  they produce  noticeable power over  stock NGK's
It was many many moons ago when I heard about this. I believe someone even show me on the box that it said that too. Maybe they have changed this and started making them for imports. I've always wanted to see how they compared to the good ol' trusty NGK's. Guess I'll have to go out and give them a try now.

im at sea level, 8* BTDC seems to be perfect, perhaps i will screw with the carb this weekend, but im not confident with what i read in the turd manual, and ive yet to find a factory manual via the internet! so any tricks i need to know with regards to carb tuning? the carb was rebuilt with the motor so it should be fairly fresh, i will be gettin a weber 32/36 soon so im not going to rebuild it no matter what
0* is what it should be set at, but I also run mine at 8* for a little extra kick to the pavement. Just remember to reset it back to 0* when you take it in to smog. If you plan on replacing the carb anyways then I'd say just get some carb cleaner and spray some into in your carb and call it good.

why go with a weber? Alot of people on here run Weber's and are unhappy with them.  The asin carb IMO is a really good carb and you get to keep all you emission stuff on like it's suppose to be for cali.Glen you wanna chime in here??  Look around on here and on pirate for the arguments that people have about wether to go with the weber or asin.  Just my  :twocents: but i was looking into a weber carb at one time but then me and the old man sat down and figured the asin out and i've never had one problem with it since. Why put and american made carb on your truck when your going to all this trouble to keep most of it toyota anyways???
I have a Weber on my on my 73 and wasn't too impressed with it. On my 85's I've just stuck with the stock carb. Just don't get any ol' stock carb. Make sure it's an original Asin carb.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

Gary Briggs [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
so your saying i wont see much performance gain with a weber? i had webers on my vw's and was very pleased with them! i plan on doing the exhaust(header, new cat and muffler 2.25") and the carb at the same time

Gary Briggs [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
i also wanna say thanks to every1 who has chimed in to help, im new to the 22r and i really do appreciate all the positive advise!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »
i  have nothing but  AWESOME things to say about my 3236 weber,  i love it  ,  i dont have to worry about smog  so  that  might be one reason you should keep the asin carb 

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gary Briggs [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »
i  have nothing but  AWESOME things to say about my 3236 weber,  i love it  ,  i dont have to worry about smog  so  that  might be one reason you should keep the asin carb 

good enuff for me, i will order it right now

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »
good enuff for me, i will order it right now
dont you live in Cali??   make dang sure you get a smog legal version

here the  "saturn"   i spoke of,  if  your motor has this (in green)  then its a  84 -95  "short deck"

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »
I really only buy from napa if it's a brand I know and trust, same goes for vatozone and kragen.  And remember, you can all get a wholesale discount on genuine toyota parts :thumbs:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16415.0
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »
so your saying i wont see much performance gain with a weber? i had webers on my vw's and was very pleased with them! i plan on doing the exhaust(header, new cat and muffler 2.25") and the carb at the same time
No, I've seen people use Weber's before and they work great. It just didn't give me the performance I was hoping for. It runs (ran) great, but I could have got a stock one for for less and got the same out of it. I would have gone with a different Weber, but the one I got was the only one that would work on my 73.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my last post. My bad. :headshake:

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:21:36 PM »
the toyota carbs are actually pretty good from what i have heard, with a few tweaks they are dang good
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gary Briggs [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
and what would those tweaks be?

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »
I don't know all the different things you can do to them but I know you can change to hi-flow needle and seats and have heard of people machining them to accept Holley jets. Not sure if this will still be smog legal though.