Author Topic: 22re tune up mystery  (Read 12569 times)

silence007

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
Re: 22re tune up mystery
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »
Did you check the running fuel pressure?  I could see the pump working harder at incline, as for incline being a normal cause for electrical fault I would go with no.  Seems like a knock sensor just wouldn't adjust timing and your truck would knock.  What did your toyota mechanic say about the knock sensor and incline?
A FRIEND WILL TELL YOU HE WILL BAIL YOU OUT OF JAIL, A TRUE FRIEND WILL BE SITTING NEXT TO LAUGHING WHEN IT DOESN\'T HAPPEN.

STAGE 2 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
Havent checked the fuel pressure.  I did have the fuel filter replaced just prior to the tune up, however the truck drove and idled fine immediately after I had it done.   My mechanic said that while the knock sensor was cracked (he saw it while replacing the fuel filter) it shouldn't effect it, and I havent had a CEL the entire time.  As far as the incline he's thinking it might be something with a part of the harness, but if thats the case I'd likely experience it on hard cornering as well and I havent.  Either way he's convinced its an electrical gremlin because the mechanicals are great.  I'm starting to wonder if my AFM might be going since the previous owner's shop farked with it. 

SpencerS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
how dirty was the old fuel filter? you might have gunked up a line a little so it would be fine when its under throttle. My buddys Samurai had a 1.6(i think) efi and it did the same thing when he replaced the fuel filter. He ran some seafoam through the gas tank and was fine after that.

silence007

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
how dirty was the old fuel filter? you might have gunked up a line a little so it would be fine when its under throttle. My buddys Samurai had a 1.6(i think) efi and it did the same thing when he replaced the fuel filter. He ran some seafoam through the gas tank and was fine after that.
surely possible,

CEL isn't neerly as usefull on an older vehicle.  The MAF does have space to have debrit in it.  Certain when you figure it out it will seem like you should have found it sooner.  I would go with cleaning out fuel lines first, you can check risistance at harness conector of pump by filler neck.
A FRIEND WILL TELL YOU HE WILL BAIL YOU OUT OF JAIL, A TRUE FRIEND WILL BE SITTING NEXT TO LAUGHING WHEN IT DOESN\'T HAPPEN.

STAGE 2 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

I never got a chance to look at it however that sounds possible given that it was replaced a day before I started tearing into it.  Cleaning the lines is the next step. 

IVrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 352
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
any update on this, stage2?
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)
-2010 4runner Trail (wife DD)
-2000 4runner 4WD manual Highlander -SOLD:(
-1986 Toyota pickup SAS on 35s -SOLD
-1985 4runner (first car) -SOLD

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:15:27 AM »
Stage II, Do you have a miss anywhere else in the powerband? If you have figured out your issue, spread the word. I am working with the same problem and a miss around 3k. I have been reading 4crawler's website about troubleshooting the issue. I am getting a lean condition and a rough lopey idle and so far have not fixed it. I thought that an exhaust leak may have been causing a bad o2 sensor reading but no. The o2 sensor would, if anything, cause a rich condition if not working right to protect the engine in limp mode. I ordered the basix like plugs, wires, fuel filter and a diz cap. The old plugs are irydium and may be too hot and causing the miss and the engine, even when warm, takes more than a few cranks to start. Just think like a mechanic and leave the complicated stuff for last. Could a clogged 207k mile fuel filter cause a lean miss and rough idle? What are all of the possibilities? 

I am going to make sure everything is clean and flowing properly before messing with EFI settings any more.I Used starting fluid for vac leak detection because it is very easy to trace a leak and came up with a leak at the PCV that dropped my idle down to normal. I think we may have kind of the same frustrating problem. I'm gonna keep plugging.
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.