Author Topic: Gearing  (Read 8849 times)

JoeShmo65

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
Re: Gearing
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
thnx forty i like ur advice, my rig isent a DD but i do plan on driving it once in a while from school and back but other than that itll be mainly trail rig but like i said i wanna be able to drive it to the trails not trailer it so what i will most likely do is get the axles with the gears from a friend for like $650 and sell my old axles and make a lil money than hope maybe i get the adapter for xmas lol i already have a tcase set up from a friend for $100 so im set for the other tcase im hoping that will work
"what was that daddy?"..."Don't worry honey, just a jeep i used for traction, now go back to sleep."
ROFL

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »
o and by the way im getting the money for those axles from these old tires im selling (the ones in my pic <---) so if u know anyone who wants to buy the tires im selling them for a damn reasonable price

Specs on the tires:
33x12.50.15 BFGoodrich A/T with black daytona wheels, the tires have between 85-90% tread on them so i think $650 is a reasonable price for them
"what was that daddy?"..."Don't worry honey, just a jeep i used for traction, now go back to sleep."
ROFL

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:56:34 AM »
A little something I wrote in a similar thread not too long ago. Just to add... :beerchug:

opinions are great and they're all based on facts.  Let's see if some of this will help you decide.

Pros to gears:  1)  better street power and added off road power

2)  Less stress on your clutch and drivetrain

3)  should see an improvement in fuel mileage, if you care about that 

4)  Racing on the street is a little funner...

5)  the benefits of gears will be used every time you drive your rig. 

cons to gears:  1)  more torsional stress on axle shafts but you're headed there anyway so this won't
                            matter!   

2)  no more excuses as to why you can't keep up or make it over that rock....(this can be a pro as
                             well  )

3)  still pricey and somewhat involved for install but not as much as duals (pro or con?)

pros to duals:   1)  way cooler to have than just gears. 

2)  you can say you have a MC adapter in it now. how cool is that?! 

3)  needless to say, the offroad advantages you'll gain. (multi gear slections as stated by someone
                             here and other advantages)

4)  seeing all those shifters with Marlin knobs...

cons to duals:   1)  pricey for the install (but worth it!)

2)  more involved to the install than just the adaptor (drivelines, crossmember, floor mods.... ) But
                             still worth it!

3)  the benefits to duals are only usable when you do go wheeling. Not an everyday satisfaction for that
                             matter...   

4)  This may be arguable or even negligible but nonetheless a fact and probably the only real downside
                             if at all.  The added gears and fluid do cause additional parasitic load to the engine and will rob a
                             little more power. how much?   but considering this might be a good reason to do gears
                             first.  That's your choice....

Now that this is all as clear as mud   let us know what you think. 

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »
Well done fordh8er... that brought a tear to my eye

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
Well done fordh8er...
Thanks!  :beerchug:

that brought a tear to my eye
From what? lyao?  :rofl:  :gap:

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
Just some FYI: TG uses cheaper (specificaly, Chinese) materials, hence the lower price. If you want quality, American-made parts, Marlin Crawler has you covered. The same can't be said for other companies such as TG.

As for gears VS dual cases, it all depends on how much you drive your truck. I lifted my 85, ran 35s (with 4.0 case gears) and 5.29s for the last year. I couldnt have been happier. I already had a pretty low low range but I still got good gas mileage and I had good power on the street. I just went dual cases and it is fantastic. Looking back, I am glad I went with case gears and axle gears BEFORE dual cases, because the dual cases dont do anything for you on the street. If you have big rubber and dual cases you are still going to be hurting on the street. On-pavement performance was important to me because I DD my 4runner, so i went axle gears before dual cases. If its more trail rig than street rig and power and gas mileage arent a concern, duals is a great addition. Just remember the front driveshaft needs to be lengthened (a square shaft is a cheap fix) and the rear needs to be shortened (not so cheap if you want it done right).

As for what gears are right for you.....

Up to 35s - go with 4.88s

35s and Up - go with 5.29s.

I went 5.29s and they are great with my 35s. Going 37s soon and IMO, 5.29s are perfect for a 35 and larger tire. I wouldnt get 5.29s if 35 was the MAX tire size i wanted to run.

not to hate at all but just an opinion, ive know at least 10+ people right now that are running the trail-creepers R&P's right now and have broke birfs and shafts over there gears all the time. im not saying that there the best or the worst or that marlin is better or worst but its mostly on how you drive that reflects on if your gears are going to last but from what ive seen is that trail-gears's trail-creeper's have lasted.

-Thomas
79 Hilux Bobbed *In Progress*

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:22:36 AM »
not to hate at all but just an opinion, ive know at least 10+ people right now that are running the trail-creepers R&P's right now and have broke birfs and shafts over there gears all the time. im not saying that there the best or the worst or that marlin is better or worst but its mostly on how you drive that reflects on if your gears are going to last but from what ive seen is that trail-gears's trail-creeper's have lasted.

-Thomas
All true and, not to mention, like the three most important things in real estate only relative to gears is....SET UP, SET UP, SET UP.... :yupyup:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »

-Thomas

I agree, I have many friends that run TG products, just my two cents, I prefer to buy American made products. These days I do not want anything to do with Chinese crap. Like fordh8r said, SET UP is key. Also, nice post before that fordh8r that pretty much sets it in stone :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:45:24 PM »
ya fordh8r i like wat u said i think i will go with the gearing for know than when i have to extra time and money ill get the dual tcases, thnx for the advice guys lotsa help to me learning what im doin XP

o and by the way fordh8r i like fords!!! lol!!! but i am all for yotas also
ROFL

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »
ya fordh8r i like wat u said i think i will go with the gearing for know than when i have to extra time and money ill get the dual tcases, thnx for the advice guys lotsa help to me learning what im doin XP

:biggthumpup:

o and by the way fordh8r i like fords!!! lol!!! but i am all for yotas also
Me too... :yumyum:  :rofl2: :gap:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:25:01 AM »
  :smack: Forgot to mention, Not only is set up important but break-in is every bit as important as well.  Be sure to follow the gear manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure and fluid change interval after break-in.  :yesnod:   :biggthumpup:

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2007, 07:05:11 AM »
ok ill make sure to do that but if i do get these axles with the gearing already in them i wont have to worry bout it bc these axles already been out wheeling on a different yota :P
ROFL

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:57:54 AM »
ok ill make sure to do that but if i do get these axles with the gearing already in them i wont have to worry bout it bc these axles already been out wheeling on a different yota :P
   As long as they were set up properly to begin with that should be no problem.  :thumbs:  If they have any real time on them with plenty of wheeling trips I would say you're safe without the worries of a new set of gears.  :yesnod:  Hope it all works out for ya!  :biggthumpup: 
   Do you have pics of your rig posted yet? Would like to see what you got.  :yupyup:

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:17:35 AM »
  :smack: Forgot to mention, Not only is set up important but break-in is every bit as important as well.  Be sure to follow the gear manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure and fluid change interval after break-in.  :yesnod:   :biggthumpup:

yea ive seen gears go bad pretty fast because people get anxious and go out and beat on them for a day and come home and the next day they go out they have teeth coming out there drain plug.

-Thomas

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
this is a very good topic..... i had to make this decision a month ago. i went with 529 yukon gears also got the set-up kit. the reason i went with 529's and not 488 is because im not going to be able to afford dual cases till next year (tax return) ive read on pirate that if you run dual cases you want to go with 488's why i forgot i looked for the tread but was unable to find it. i drive my truck daily gas mileage is great power is very good on the street and my drive-train is under less stress. not to mention i still have stock t-case and tranny also i plan on runnin 37 after i do dual t-cases. like a few people already said BREAK IN THE GEARS or you will have problems.... good luck with the gearing :thumbs:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:45:35 AM »
ya the guy im getting the axles from does yotas only so he knows what hes doing i trust he broke the gears in the right way and ya i started a post a while ago about my fixing up my right but i havent updated in like 3 months lol ill see wat i can do this weekend than ill post the link on here
ROFL

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:57:53 AM »
Alright heres the deal my yota right now with running 35's with stock yota axle gears, i was planning on buying 5:29 gear and pinion but my friend said i shouldnt go with 5:29 wat do u think so i go with 5:29 or a lil lower??
o and i want to do crawling and off roading but i wanna drive to the trails instead of trailering the truck there and back

I have a n 89 4Runner with 35's and 4.88 gears.  I would really like 5.29s for running on the street, the 4.88s work much better with 33's.  Having said that, the 4.88s work well enough that I can't justify the cash to make a change.

Dual cases is nice, I'm currently running a dual ultimate, but I believe that a single Marlin 4.70 unit is the way to go to start out.  It eliminates the need for changing driveshafts which can create vibrations.  I'm currently chasing a drivetrain vibration from the shorter rear driveshaft in combination with my lift.

I have always adivsed getting a single 4.70 case and running stock gears with up to 32 inch tires (I couldn't handle 33's with stock gears), then getting ring & pinion and larger tires followed by duals if you still want/need them.  The single 4.70 is a simple bolt in application that will make a huge difference.

:twocents:

There will be minimal difference between 4.10 gears and 5.29 gears off road with stock t-case gears.  It's only about a 25% reduction so 3 mph instead of 4 mph at crawl speeds, 4.88s would be less of a difference.  If you compared stock to a single 4.70 case the difference is about a 48% reduction so closer to 2 mph instead of 4 mph.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »
i think if u want a crawler that extra 25% of gear reduction from 5.29's is way worth it. 5.29's and dual cases with 4.7's in the rear is the way to go for anything. i wouldnt pick just gears or just duals like everyone is stating just wait till you have the money for both so u can get the most reduction possible.

-Thomas

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
well in the late future my yota will become a crawler but for know its just a mainly offroad with a lil bit of on road driving plus i dont have the money for both the only way im getting one of these is bc i have a lil bit of extra cash from some tires im selling other than that im trying to save up for a DD car somthing with good gas milage so ill start with the gears than move onto to dual tcases
ROFL

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »
thats y building up a crawler is a long process unless u have a :pokinit: load of cash.

-Thomas

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
i think if u want a crawler that extra 25% of gear reduction from 5.29's is way worth it. 5.29's and dual cases with 4.7's in the rear is the way to go for anything. i wouldnt pick just gears or just duals like everyone is stating just wait till you have the money for both so u can get the most reduction possible.

-Thomas

The point is to do the one that makes the most difference first and then progress mods from there.  Why save money to do everything at once when you can enjoy the benefits of one or more of the options along the way.

I did the 4.7 t-case, followed by ring & pinion when I did a taller lift and larger tires and then when the parts got transferred to the 4Runner I upgraded to the dual ultimate.  Some people prefer a different build order.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »
The point is to do the one that makes the most difference first and then progress mods from there.  Why save money to do everything at once when you can enjoy the benefits of one or more of the options along the way.

I did the 4.7 t-case, followed by ring & pinion when I did a taller lift and larger tires and then when the parts got transferred to the 4Runner I upgraded to the dual ultimate.  Some people prefer a different build order.

my excuse is that im greedy  :mad:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:09:51 PM »

my excuse is that im greedy  :mad:

Zero to built would be fun, but it's also nice to learn to drive the rig at various levels of capability.  I had to work much harder with open diffs and 32s that I do now with locker, gears and larger tires.  Most of the time the rig doesn't even need me.  When a rig is built so well your wife can drive it, it's probably overbuilt, mine is for most of what I do.

Please note that I am making reference to the wives that are not at all interested in the sport and would have no reason, or interest, to know how to drive off road.

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:51:55 PM »
Blazer if u wanna u no give me the money ill get all the components and build it all at once hahaha but ya this is gunna be a slow fix up but in the end itll be a sick crawler

o and black i need a women who likes driving my off-road truck XD
ROFL

Blazer707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Rubicon Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
hey i need a g/f that likes to drive off road too, if i start to go up any sort of incline in my truck my g/f will freak the flopp out.

-Thomas

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »
lmao!! atleast u got a gf who will get in the truck with u i had a gf who wouldnt even get in my truck hahahaha
ROFL

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #56 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:49:58 PM »
Yep!!!!! Any D-shaft shop should be able to shorten the rear and make the front longer. One other thing you should get a long slip joint for the front, if not when you flex it out on the PS it will come apart.

square front drive line.  cheap, strong, and lots of slip.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #57 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »
if your running 35's, i would go with the gears first.  5.29's will set you at a better rpm than 4.88's will.  you'll have to have your foot hard on the skinny pedal when your on the freeway if you want to use over drive with 4.88's.  5.29's will be easier to drive on the freeway with, and also if you ever break a set of 5.29's on the trail, i would say a majority of people run the 5.29 and you'll have a better chance of being able to find a set from someone.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

JoeShmo65 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
thnx dude i def plan on goin with the gears first and cant wait to get those shocks from ya :D
ROFL