Author Topic: SUPER VIBRATIONS!!! in 4th and 5th gear!!!! HELP  (Read 4036 times)

binojames

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
SUPER VIBRATIONS!!! in 4th and 5th gear!!!! HELP
« on: Jul 01, 2007, 10:07:15 PM »
94 toy pickup  sas'ed,geared & locked and stacked cases  Rear diff is a High Pinion.   When i'm driving about 45-50 4th gear a vibration starts, and when there is no load on the driveline  (right before i have lett off the gass completely and when i have just started pressing the gas) it vibrates so bad i think something is going to blow up seriously it is that load.    What could it be. I was happening before i got the daul cases, then i put the cases in and still does it.   

I was thinking rear pinion angle coming out of the rear end is almost exactly straight so if there was alil bit of slop or of balance it might vibrate  (not much pinion angle was changed when cases installed) 

That or a trany problem

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
pinion angle, trans, rear wheel bearings, d-line out of phase, loose flange...

binojames [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
what do you mean by loose flange?  tighten the flange nut possible?

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
 I had bad vibes and my d-saft bolt were loose. Friend of mine helping me put my tranny back didn't tighten the rear d-shaft bolts to t-case.  :shake: Said he did, can't trust anyone  :beerwhack: And that cause the flage bolt on the t-case to come lose also. Another time I had that was when the d-shaft was to short and the slip joint was barlely together.
Haven't heard much good news about running a HP third in the rear, just my  :twocents:

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
make sure if you took the drive line apart at the slip yoke you want to line the u joint yokes up when you slide it back together having a high pinion in the rear might be part of the problem as well

2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Haven't heard much good news about running a HP third in the rear, just my  :twocents:

x2

I have heard that it is not a good idea.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
X3
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
what kind of DL are you running? just a normal Double Cardan? If so look into getting a CV shaft made up, i had the same vibrations and i had one made and everything is all better. :)
Starting from scratch again...

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
did you break in the 3rd correctly and drain the fluid after 500 miles?  When I bought my truck, I am guessing that the previous owner did not do that.  I don't know exactly what happened to cause it (I had the same problem...not really on the gas or off the gas, but I could feel the vibration all the way to the trans...and everything from the tranny to the gears was tight).  I pulled the 3rd and found that I BADLY needed new gears.  I put new ones in and broke it in really carefully...hasn't made the noise or vibration since.  5.29 gears and it may have been the bearings being fried from not letting it cool off during break in.
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Have you checked for broken motor mounts?

binojames [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
I'll look into what you guys have said i appericate the help. I'm going to swap out my 3rd with my old 3rd that is broken in and if that is the problem i will see if my installed one needs gears or what.   if not i will throw it in the front!   thanks agian

idacurt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
cv joint,drive shaft out of phase?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Co-worker just had a similar problem, it was the driveline itself.  The part of the driveline that slips (splined end) into the larger portion of driveline, had enough slop that was only felt at higher speeds!  It was in a 94/95 4-runner.  Put it in neutral and and climb under and push up on the driveline right at the spline/slip and it would move!  Bought a used one at a u-pullit and solved his problem.

Have you tried different speeds in the same gears?  Does it happen at the same gears no matter what speed your going!  Will it do it in 4 lo in the same gears?  If it does in 4-lo it may be your trans!

Most rear HP diffs fail due to lack of proper oiling!  I'd be checking the oil on that diff on a regular basis!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Hi Pinion in the rear  :aaa:

how much lift on this truck??  how long is the rear shaft??   what is your pinion angle??     regular u joint on each end  or  cv on tcase end ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Hi Pinion in the rear  :aaa:

how much lift on this truck??  how long is the rear shaft??   what is your pinion angle??     regular u joint on each end  or  cv on tcase end ??

That what i asked, cause we all know it just needs a CV DL and all the noise and vibrations will go away. oh dont forget to throw that pinion angle up towards the t-case flange.

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Most rear HP diffs fail due to lack of proper oiling!  I'd be checking the oil on that diff on a regular basis!

Well, that, and the fact that they're approx 30% weaker due to running on the coast side of the gears...
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
That what i asked, cause we all know it just needs a CV DL and all the noise and vibrations will go away. oh dont forget to throw that pinion angle up towards the t-case flange.
whats weird  is  i dont run a cv  in the rear shaft  on my truck  and i have no vibrations at all  up to 75mph  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
whats weird  is  i dont run a cv  in the rear shaft  on my truck  and i have no vibrations at all  up to 75mph  :dunno:

How much/what kind of lift are you running. It's recomended that anyone running 5+" of lift should run one. getting a stock DC drivline to work sucks. Hit up Jesse at High Angle DL if any of you dont believe me. Just saying i had the same probs and i kept denying it untill i got one, put it on, and all my probs were gone.