Author Topic: 22RE problem...  (Read 970 times)

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
22RE problem...
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got done doing a timing chain and headgasket. got the motor all assembled and go to fire it up, nothing. tried a few more things. still wont crank the motor over, but ECU clicks. i replaced the starter and gave that a try. nothing. so i cut the little wire that plugs into the starter so i could jump it to the main lead on the starter, it now cranks over. when it starts up it barely wants to stay running. distributer is on #1 cylinder at TDC. when i had it running i put the timing light on it and timing was alittle advanced. then i go to turn the dizzy to make it 5* advance and she dies. but i could watch the timing mark move on the lower pully and put it at 5*. checked plugs, wires, vacuum lines, swapped out ECUs, tried mine in another truck and it works fine. still cant figure it out.

Ran the codes and it popped up #10, which is ignition switch, ECU, starter signal. how can i check the switch and signal. im going to soder that starter wire that got snipped, it was short to begin with so it needed some length.

I hope i gave enough info, can anyone help me figure this out.
85 SR5, ARBs, Hi-steer, 35" Krawlers...has most of the right parts

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE problem...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »
when you were checking the timing did you have a jumper wire in the test connector to bring it to base timing ? How or was it running before the repair ? did you replace the fuel filter ?
the no crank problem could be in the clutch switch or possably a relay you didn't give year or model. also look at your electrical connectors check for pins pushed out or bent and moisture. If all that checks out get it running and wiggle the wiring harness everywhere you can, if you get any kind of change check that section throughly you may have an open inside the harness, unless it blows a fuse then it's a short