Author Topic: 86 22re problem  (Read 3667 times)

jeepnee

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
86 22re problem
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:33 PM »
hi guys new to the forums but long time fan, okay heres is my problem, i got an 86 4runner w/ a 22re engine. i just bought it and it was running fine then one day it started to lose power when i put it in gear, it idles fine but when shifted into gear it drops and sounds like its gonna stall. i just changed the injectors and the distributer and its still the same. anybody have an idea please help a navy guy out, thank you..

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Re: 86 22re problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:00:28 PM »
WELCOME!

I think you need to tell us a little more.  It sounds as tho if you are just at a stand still and put the truck in gear (with out moving) the idle dies...  Is that what happens?  Or is the truck just losing power over all when you are driving, but still revs up find in neutral??  How many miles on the truck? Was the engine ever rebuilt?

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

jeepnee [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 01:03:31 AM »
okay, i can drive the truck, it has 170k on this motor never has been rebuilt. it was running perfect until 1 day it started this horrible idle while in gear. i almost sounds like its not firing in the first cylinder, is there anyway i cant check if my fuel injector is working in that cylinder? or do you think its something else? i am getting spark with that wire though. so what am i missing? thanks for all your help guys hopefully i can get this thing running smooth so i can go wheeling soon.

ROLIE POLIE

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »
you could try a compression check on the cylinders

874runner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -77
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:56:09 AM »
Mine did the same thing, but then finally it just wouldn't go into gear. It was because the clutch master cylinder was leaking and wasn't disengaging the clutch all of the way. I just changed it and it works fine now.  You might want to check that out. :twocents:

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
Mine did the same thing, but then finally it just wouldn't go into gear. It was because the clutch master cylinder was leaking and wasn't disengaging the clutch all of the way. I just changed it and it works fine now.  You might want to check that out. :twocents:

That would be my guess to if it happening only at a stand still in gear.  The clutch is simply not disengaging all they way.
PZ

874runner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »
That would be my guess to if it happening only at a stand still in gear.  The clutch is simply not disengaging all they way.
PZ

O it happins when he is moving too?

jeepnee [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
oh by the way its an automatic, im gonna try a compression test so i'll let you guys know thanks for the advice, keep them coming

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 09:00:38 PM »
have you checked the timing?  If the timing isnt correct those engines produce no power
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

874runner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
O its an auto? got me stumped.  :headscratch: Sorry.  Good luck fixin it

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:29:10 PM »
when i first got my 88 truck with 22-re it would idle fine, but would fall flat on its face as soon as you put it into gear ( its a wonder we got it home) . after a couple months of trouble shooting ( didnt have the great marlin crawler board to help us then)  we figured out that the timing was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy off.  We adjusted it and it made a world of difference.  Hope this helps
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 06:55:41 PM »
 Try a known good mass air meter if your compression checks out to be good. If that makes no difference check your fuel pressure. Sounds like its either one or the other,good luck.  Mike
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

jeepnee [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 10:56:22 PM »
i did the compression test today my #1 cylinder had no compression whatsoever the rest did, so what do you guys think is it a valve or is it my piston rings? thanks for your help

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 01:05:36 AM »
i did the compression test today my #1 cylinder had no compression whatsoever the rest did, so what do you guys think is it a valve or is it my piston rings? thanks for your help

I would say a valve.  In my exp, bad pistons rings will still compress even a little
PZ

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 06:15:24 AM »
 either a bad valve or a wiped cam,thats my opinion.  mike
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 12:20:45 PM »
Or a hole in the piston!  One of our chase boats at work has a dead clyinder, and you can look into the plug hole while cranking it over and the piston doesn't even move!  If you suspect a valve I'd pull the valve cover and crank it over, see if it's even moving.  Might just be time to source a good spare engine, take your time going through it to make sure it's good, and keep it on hand just incase.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!