Author Topic: 1982 rockcrawler/racecar  (Read 80833 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 build
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
ya hopefully. thats what im hoping for. 

sooooo does anyone know about my smog problem?
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »
82 hilux, the wire comes out of the same harness as the float switch for the brake master cylinder, its the only other wire with it.... i got a pic, hopefully it works, stand by
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »
really? ill have to check. i dont remember it coming from there.  id like to see that picture
thanks man
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »
pictures dont work... ill try again, but this camera im using really sucks, i left my better camera which sucks too, just less at my kids house

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 05:09:33 PM »
:nonono:   WE DONT SAY THAT HERE :nonono:

well ill check that out. thanks
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:30:23 PM by 79coyotefrg »

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
working on new pics, seeing if they work or not

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 05:23:12 PM »
hope this helps.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 05:35:29 PM »
:nonono:   WE DONT SAY THAT HERE :nonono:

well ill check that out. thanks
doesnt the censor pick that up??
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »
i cant see anything in those pictures.

does anyone know what i said? i cant remember....must have been bad for them to take it out

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 08:00:21 PM »
i cant see anything in those pictures.

does anyone know what i said? i cant remember....must have been bad for them to take it out
eff word i thought the censor picked it up dunno
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 09:12:09 PM »
maybe you dont have a CA truck, the smog system is different in them.  my harness has like 50 wires, not just the o2 sensor and brake switch. by the way you put it it sounds like you just have a couple. thanks anyways

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Aug 31, 2007, 12:33:09 AM »
its been a while ya?
my engine is BURLY NOW!!!!!
weber 38, MSD ignition and coil, new head with special valve grind, took all my smog BS off.....its fast now. oh ya, and a long tube header!
just holding down the gas petal in any gear (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, not really 5th though lol) about a half inch or less, the truck will rapidly accelerate until the motor redlines. i dont even have to gas it for it to fly. i explained to my girlfriend how much more powerful it is and showed her how little i am actually pressing on the gas when we are flying down the road. she was impressed  :beerchug:
oh ya, and did i mention i get about 20mpg if i drive easy? driving it like i fukking stole it and a million bucks i get about 15 or 16mpg. i usually just floor it everywhere because its so fun. when i actually sink my foot in it just TAKES OFF. i cant believe how much more powerful it is with stock valve train! next is a new cam. and i can run any cam i want because i dont have to smog!

and for anyone that cares, that gay flatbed is bannished to my backyard. i put my bed back on because i bought a nice toolbox lol.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #42 on: Aug 31, 2007, 12:37:54 AM »
i have a bad oil leak. i heard from a buddy what he thinks it is.

he says that if you dont clean the pool of oil out of the bolt hole on the top of the timing cover when you are re-installing the head or timing cover (anything where you have to remove that damned bolt), the oil in the bottom of the hold will be compressed when you are tightening the bolt and it will be forced through the cast timing cover and make a slight crack right under where that bolt grabs onto the cover.  know what im trying to say? theres only 1 top bolt on the timing cover.  when you take it out, theres oil in the bottom of the bolt hole.  the bolt is being tightened into the hole and it quite literally FORCES the oil through the weakest point in the metal. and then it leaks like a mother*****!!!!!

is this a known problem? i actually investigated by cleaning out the hole and looking in it. i couldnt see anything. duh.
but then i put some water in the hold and pressurized it with some compressed air and watched the water drip out from under that spot, right where i expected it too.

should i just pull the timing cover off and find the crack and repair it? maybe just pick up a new cover.
i have a spare 22re, is the cover the same on that????

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 31, 2007, 01:09:43 AM »
i have a bad oil leak. i heard from a buddy what he thinks it is.

he says that if you dont clean the pool of oil out of the bolt hole on the top of the timing cover when you are re-installing the head or timing cover (anything where you have to remove that damned bolt), the oil in the bottom of the hold will be compressed when you are tightening the bolt and it will be forced through the cast timing cover and make a slight crack right under where that bolt grabs onto the cover.  know what im trying to say? theres only 1 top bolt on the timing cover.  when you take it out, theres oil in the bottom of the bolt hole.  the bolt is being tightened into the hole and it quite literally FORCES the oil through the weakest point in the metal. and then it leaks like a mother*****!!!!!

is this a known problem? i actually investigated by cleaning out the hole and looking in it. i couldnt see anything. duh.
but then i put some water in the hold and pressurized it with some compressed air and watched the water drip out from under that spot, right where i expected it too.

should i just pull the timing cover off and find the crack and repair it? maybe just pick up a new cover.
i have a spare 22re, is the cover the same on that????
  Sounds to me like if you just sealed the threads on that bolt it would stop oil from getting into the hole where it could leak. Maybe some blue loctite or even some pipe thread sealer would do. They are both not affected by oil since they're used to seal many other types of oil leaks in engines and transmissions and many other applications. What could it hurt, right? At least you wouldn't have to take apart the motor to try it or even to find out it didn't work.  :thumbs:
  Good luck!  :crossed:

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 31, 2007, 08:32:42 AM »
Nice build keep up the good work  :thumbs: and ur bed works for u then it is right don't worry about what others say.   Also you can get a cheap welder (mig wire feed) from Harbor frieght for around $100.00 bucks.  here is my bed on lil blue jus for different ideas :beerchug:

85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 31, 2007, 02:07:52 PM »
Looks good man! Like others said, if it works it works. I like your truck man.
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #46 on: Sep 01, 2007, 07:36:32 AM »
ya....I only ever talked to one or two people who actually liked that flatbed!  But I took it off so I can just throw stuff in the back of my truck and use that tool box too.
the best part of my flatbed was the visibility it made. I could look out the back window and see BOTH back tires! and everything else too!  It was only as wide as the frame rails and it stopped before the back of the frame. I even made it out of treated wood so it wouldnt rot with all my mud in the winter.

heres a funny story.....
I had that flatbed for months and months.  THE DAY I put my bed back on, just a few hours afterwards actually, I got pulled over and given a ticket for mud flaps.
go back and look at the flatbed pics...my tires were 100% exposed!

B S !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
Thats just how it goes.  :haha:
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:20:37 PM »
ouch...   that's just a fix-it ticket.. there's no fine immediately for that? having no mudflaps
Jeep

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Sep 16, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »
no not yet.  i have to get that ticket cleared real soon, i have to make some mud flaps.  i dont have the time to do anything though! school and work have me busy every day, so the only attention the truck gets is me tearing around town in it.  oh ya and incase any body has ever wondered, weber 38 carburetors KICK ASS!

i have a bunch of money, im considering gearing and locking both axles

baconator

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Jun '07
  • when you gotta go, you gotta go
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 16, 2007, 05:40:08 AM »
truck looks good.  im thinkin about doing the chevy rear springs too.  what gears and locker are you lookin at?  i run 33s and have 4.88s with ARBs in mine but i think i should have gone with 5.29s.  how much better can you flex with the bed and box put back on?
check out the first project from Born Crazy Customs

Quote from: MrsWillyMammoth
OK so we got the thick bacon... but RK can't find the salami... and Deans wife has the cheese...

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #51 on: Sep 16, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »
It flexes a lot...my chevy springs only have 2 leaves in them.  they used to have 1 overload and 3 main leaves. now theres no overload and the 2 top main leaves.  it works well, rides real nice. sits level with the front.  if i put stuff in my bed that weighs a couple hundred pounds the back sinks down a few inches...its not good for hauling heavy stuff. although my engine happily pulls whatever i load in the truck  :moon:

im thinking of going with arbs front and rear and either 4.88s or 5.26s.  I have 33s now, but next time around they will be 35-37.  my buddy has 35s and 5.26s and he says its geared way too low for his liking.  he says first is almost worthless, and to go 70 on the freeway he cruises at 4000something rpm in 4th gear...or maybe it was 5th he said. i dont remember.  but i dunno which gear set i want to choose yet.  im going to ask him if i can drive his truck, then ill know.  I think its worth saving all the money and spending it on diffs built by :turtle: with ARBs so i can drop them in and kick some serious ass.  plus, it would give me an excuse to buy an onboard air setup with maybe a 5 gallon tank. 

by the way chevy springs are an incredible upgrade for the money.  i spent like 75 dollars for everything and it took a day. they flex like crazy

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
I think you mean 5.29s. From everyone ive ever heard, 5.29s are the way to go. It allows room for bigger tires and gives you a lot of power back. You cant gear to low i dont think.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

halfxspaid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
5.29s are the way to go.
My 85 can go 90 on the freeway if I wanted it to.  Its great!  Plus you wont be limited if you decide to go bigger later.
85 longbed - Caged, locked, dual'd and armored

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »
5.29 is perfect. 5.71 is too low. You will break your pinion alot i've heard.
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »
haha ya i meant 5.29.  i dont even remember typing that message..guess i had one too many  :smoke: i typed 5.26 every time haha. 6 kinda does look like 9 if you think about it...

the money keeps rolling in every week and im working my ass off so it wont be too long. 

5.71 is too low. You will break your pinion alot i've heard.
everyone says this or has heard it.  i believed it until i looked at a 5.71 ring and pinion set...they are BEEFY. way bigger than a stock 4.10 for example.  who knows though, maybe they break. 
so i guess ill go with 5.29s then? 
right now i have 33's and i probably will for another year or more, they are wearing really good. 
dammit, i go out and buy nice tires and then i cant wait for them to ware out!

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
you could always just give them to me...

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »
Thats just through what i've heard. If someone runs em and has never broken any part of the ring gear or pinion more power too ya!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #58 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:03:56 PM »
just ordered one 5.29 4cyl diff with arb and standard compressor from :turtle:

and well, I CANT WAIT TO GET MY STUFF AND INSTALL IT!!!!!!!!!

after I pay the rest of this off I will drop the money on the same exact thing for the front, 5.29 with arb.
after that, dual cases.

im trying to get all this :pokinit: for my truck before i move out of my house in about a year or so.  once i move out ill have to pay for other :pokinit: and i wont have any money for truck parts.

:beer:

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 27, 2007, 06:58:07 PM »
just ordered one 5.29 4cyl diff with arb and standard compressor from :turtle:

and well, I CANT WAIT TO GET MY STUFF AND INSTALL IT!!!!!!!!!

after I pay the rest of this off I will drop the money on the same exact thing for the front, 5.29 with arb.
after that, dual cases.

im trying to get all this :pokinit: for my truck before i move out of my house in about a year or so.  once i move out ill have to pay for other :pokinit: and i wont have any money for truck parts.

:beer:

I like your style. Selectables are awesome!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse