Author Topic: 1982 rockcrawler/racecar  (Read 80833 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 pickup "The Never-ending Project"
« Reply #240 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »
well the lock would be functional. its really easy to hook up. i dont know how often i will use it though. the thing im trying to decide is where to put the handle to open it. either gonna be on the arm rest part or on the inside. not sure yet
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #241 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
hey it will keep the door from opening while your wheeling. lol
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #242 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »
the door is gonna have a handle on the inside...it would only open if somebody opened it
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #243 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
another one

heres my drivers half door almost done sort of

1981_toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
I want todo half doors but i think it'd be cool to use the lock as a handle...

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
those doors came out nice...driveline too.. i need to find another door so i can bust mine out. good job  :thumbs:

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #246 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »
thanks i appreciate the comments. making half doors like that takes soo much time.  that driveline is for my friend, i just thought id put up a picture of it. i think i might advertise on the for sale board on here that if you send me your stock front driveline or 2 u joint yokes and a certain ammount of money to cover materials and overhead ill make a square front shaft to whatever length needed.  theres a lot of people out there that need a square front shaft but dont have the means to make one.  i would offer it also with thin pieces of metal welded to the outside of the male end of the shaft to take up the slack and make the square shaft quiet instead of putting it on your truck with a little slack and hearing it go click click click while you are driving
 :dunno: just an idea

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
nice half doors, I think that would be a great idea for you to make square driveline, I want a square one! I just do not have the supplies to do it, I might be your first customer  :gap:
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
dude ill name a price and you just send me your stock one or 2 u joint yokes and ill buy the materials and make it and send it back to you to your spec length. let me know if you want to do that. im gonna post about this in the for sale section later

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
sounds good to me just let me know price  :greengrin:
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
shipping it back and fourth from colorado might get pricey, the finished driveline will weigh like 40 lbs. i live in california.

for the materials it takes to make one (tubing, cutoff wheels, welding wire, welding gas, cleaning solvent) and my time and labor = $80

if you want extras i can add some stuff like a zerk fitting onto the shaft so you can grease it without taking it off the truck...

i can also add thin pieces of metal to the sides of the male shaft to make it a tight fit for smooth silent operation. i think i already said that a couple posts up. that stuff is extra work and will raise the price a little though

TOY087

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
WHATS UP! LIKE THE TOY  :biggthumpup:WHAT KIND OF LEAFSPRING U USING UP FRONT.
07 TACOMA DAILY DRIVER

87 toy 22r/lc cam/350 holley/lc headers/magnaflow,5" LIFT ,35bogger

MY BUILD:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56212.0

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thanks! i like it too...its a lot of fun to drive. they are the stock toyota rear springs with 6 leaves in them

i think they work pretty good for costing a total of zero $ and zero :twocents:

TOY087

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
GOT A ? FOR U.  DID SOMEONE DID YOUR  FRONT LEAFSRING  OR U COMBINE SOME USED ONES .
07 TACOMA DAILY DRIVER

87 toy 22r/lc cam/350 holley/lc headers/magnaflow,5" LIFT ,35bogger

MY BUILD:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56212.0

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
they are the stock toyota rear springs with 6 leaves in them. what else is there to know? yeah i done did made them myself and yeah they are from 1982 and 1986

Revivalist

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
Any reason not to just go with tube doors?
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Any reason not to just go with tube doors?

Well, his hald door donors were free :thumbs:  Personally, I like the half doors better than tube doors for a couple reasons.  They contain the cab better( anything you might have that rolls around on the floor, or that falls on the floor (water bottle, flashlight, cds, keys falling out of the ignition) is contained in off camber situations.)  Also, I feel they provide more protection than a tube door.  and I just like the look of half doors better. :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i look at tube doors as the easy way out. and i think half doors are way cooler looking. they are hard to make and when they are all done and finished up people should be impressed.  i love the way they look on trucks

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
1982 bobbed hilux "build"
« Reply #258 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
ive lost motivation to work on my truck becuase of funds and not having any wheeling buddies that can keep up with me and also due to the fact that theres so many things wrong with my truck :down:

1981_toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Build cause man its fun i wish i had the garage to work in...

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1982 bobbed hilux "build"
« Reply #260 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
the problem is, i dont have money for a FULL front axle rebuild kit, timing cover, charge lamp relay, arb parts, and 2 new shocks, and some fabrication parts for a couple other things. plus then after that i need gas money to drive the beast. i cant wait to start working again. this economy crippled my job. i originally got laid off for 2 weeks, now its been 3 months.  fabricating custom stuff for wineries is seasonal work though so well see what happens

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #261 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:09:27 AM »
oh yeah, and i am going to have to buy new tires in the next two months, or get a couple of used 33s for the front of my truck until the rear ones wear out. my rear tires have good tread, but my front tires are worn real bad becasue i blew out the truinion bearings on my front axle and my wheel bearings probably too. truck doesnt like to be jumped  ???

1981_toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
Im out a job too but im findin lil things to do

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #263 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
im in the process of swapping out my chevy springs for 4x4 ford 150 springs.  ill take a few pics of what im doing..im curious to see how they will work.  they have 4 leaves right now, if its too stiff ill just pull out a leaf. i like the fact that they are shorter than the chevys and way more arched and the leaves are thinner. the front half of the spring is a lot shorter than the chevys, so i should have a lot less axle wrap. and i wont be using the 2 inch block lift i had under the chevys

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #264 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »
ill take more pics when its all done, ive been going slow due to severely spraining my ankle and not being able to move around very well.
i think these are gonna work a lot better than chevy springs

the hanger is 1/4'' steel. and those are the ford 150 springs sitting next to the new hanger

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #265 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
the passenger side is done, i jsut have to stick the gas tank back up in there. i havent even started the drivers side yet. anybody want to do it for me?

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #266 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »
new hangers look nice!  alot stronger than the stock ones
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #267 on: Mar 23, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
Ive been VERY busy lately working on my truck.   i have a bunch more pics to put up... ill do that tomorrow.

DISCLAIMER: its a complete coinsidence that i added two different FORD products onto my TOYOTA at the same time :_oops:

i recently tore off my stupid chevy springs and replaced them with f150 4x4 springs. i tested them out and they work GREAT. i wish i had put these on instead of the chevy springs like 2 years ago. im going to set up a traction bar soon to eliminate all of my axle wrap on my rear axle.  ill show some pictures of them tomorrow all setup and finished.

i also decided to replace my dash and clean up my wiring harness.  i untaped the ENTIRE trucks wiring harness from headlight to headlight and took out all the dead wires that used to go to smog components and air conditioning and the old alternator. the wiring harness went from 50-60 wires to about 30. there used to be dead wires hanging all over the place under my dash and all over my engine bay. but now the only wires are the ones that need to be there. it looks way more clean now thats theres not dead plugs everywhere.  the inside of the truck should look nice with a GOOD dash thats nots hacked apart! it felt really good to tear into the harness and clean it all up and fix a bunch of connections. ill put up pics of this tomorrow.

a couple weeks ago, i also converted over to a ford 3G alternator.  its 130 amps and only has a couple wires to hook up and cost me 21$ from pick 'n pull and a 12$ belt from kregans.  i have some pics of this i will also post tomorrow.  it has a positive wire that goes to the battery, a ground wire, and a wire for the regulator that you hook up to an ignition wire.  VERY simple, all i had to do was make the brackets for it to mount up! i then proceded to remove ALL of the old alternators components and wires. that is what started me in on cutting the factory harness apart. with the way its setup now, the whole wiring setup is totally clean and everything works perfect! i actually impressed myself with how well i did on this whole wiring project. i used to hate electrical stuff and never attempt it.

SO...
tomorrow im going to tape up the last few connections and install my dash and heater controls and everything else.  after i get that stuff in, i will take some pictures to show how it was and how it is now! and ill take some pics of my alternator setup
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009, 02:17:37 AM by 82 HiLux »

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Are you leaving thos spring hangers single shear? Or did you put a plate on the other side to make them double shear?
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i really want to eliminate all of the dead plugs and wiring in my engine bay! i have plugs all over that i never use and it would look way better without them.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823