Author Topic: Marlin's IFS box VS. Junk yard  (Read 6812 times)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
Marlin's IFS box VS. Junk yard
« on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:33:43 AM »
I'm looking to get an IFS power steering box for my crossover steering, what do you guys think would be the better rout?  Marlins box that's $300 / been pressure tested rebuilt  :blah: or go chance it with a junk yard for a third the price?

I'm not sure how reliable these power steering boxes are but would guess their just like any other part that's on our toy's and would pretty much last forever???

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin's IFS box VS. Junk yard
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
Go with the junk yard box.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »
get one from a member on here, i would trust a member here saying it worked well, than a crapshoot at what i would find @ the junkyard....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »

Go with the junk yard box.

glad my thread could help you get posts noob  :thumbsup: :shake:

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:21:17 AM »
If you don't want opinions why bother wasting site bandwidth in the first place?? Let me get you a tissue. :rivers:

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »
oh looks like we got a pirate on here huh with the same lame ass let me get you a tissue comment?  Maybe give some tech about your opinion and not just "go with the junk yard".  Like anyone on here is going to use that opinion from a noob.  Now if you would have put a link to your thread on pirate, i would have read through and seen that your straight axeling your 2nd gen and that maybe you know what your talking about.  But thanks for the tissue I'll be using it the same as your oppinion to wipe my  :moon:.  Hope you can edit your profile now that you have 6 posts.   :therethere:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »
dirtchicken, go the the new member forum and introduce yourself

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »
Just because I have a few posts on here doesn't mean that I'm a newbie when it comes to wheelin. Have fun with your $300 box. My $30 box works just fine on my rig.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
I built my rig before we began offering the rebuilt boxes, and I ran a late model ifs box that has the vent breather on top.

Within a month it began leaking.

About a year later I finally had enough of refilling the reservoir, and I put in a known good unit from TURBO. Now he needs it back and I am going to have to come up with another box, and this has just been a huge hassle thus far. I keep trying to ignore it, but I will eventually need to replace it again.

Well, $300 for a box that you can get at a wrecking yard seems too steep for even me. Especially since you may be able to buy 2 or 3 wrecking yard boxes for our one rebuilt box. At that rate, you've got three chances to find a good useable box.

If you want it done right the first time and never have to ever worry about it again, get the rebuilt box.

If you don't mind learning how to work on your rig when things go wrong, get a wrecking yard box. (I fit into this category.)

:twocents:

Just because I have a few posts on here doesn't mean that I'm a newbie when it comes to wheelin.
I'll be the judge of that :therethere:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:38:24 PM »
I had a truck in the Top Truck Challenge back in 2002 so I do know a thing or two about wheeling. Keep telling yourself that your smarter than everyone else here with your huge post count. :wave: I'm out!

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
I had a truck in the Top Truck Challenge back in 2002 so I do know a thing or two about wheeling. Keep telling yourself that your smarter than everyone else here with your huge post count. :wave: I'm out!

:stopit:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:51:03 PM »
are you talking crap about bigmike? he has the power to ban people from this site......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:57:57 PM »
Not that that's going to matter half his post have been  :pokinit: talkin anyways

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
Not that that's going to matter half his post have been  :pokinit: talking anyways

yeah but there is a difference is shirt talking about other members and shirt talking about the admin of the site

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:07:52 PM »
:yupyup: oh i know this cats really scoring points today isn't he.  Mike seems pretty understanding though, maybe if he buys a.... :think:.... IFS power steering box,  Mike wont ban him  :dunno: :yikes: JK :talkingn:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:42:58 PM »
I'm currently looking for ifs box number 2. I shure hope I can find a good one before spending $300. Where can a noob find a rebuild kit for these old toy ifs boxes.

P.S. Don't ya think yall are a little harsh. A newb finally comes here wanting to participate with a technical opinion, and you flame him???? Take that crap to pirate and leave it. Big Mike I'm ashamed! :shakehead:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:52:18 PM »
I'm currently looking for ifs box number 2. I shure hope I can find a good one before spending $300. Where can a noob find a rebuild kit for these old toy ifs boxes.

P.S. Don't ya think yall are a little harsh. A newb finally comes here wanting to participate with a technical opinion, and you flame him???? Take that crap to pirate and leave it. Big Mike I'm ashamed! :shakehead:

if you read over the post you should understand where i'm commin from the dude brought it on himself and really big mike didn't say anything offensive.  But your right flamming should be left to pirate.  But i'm not sorry for anything iv'e put here.

Toyota_Dave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »
I actually used a junk yard box and did a rebuild on it. I haven't got to really use it yet, but I don't see that as a bad way to go. Of course, I certainly wouldn't count out buying one from Marlin.....I've already got  quite a few Marlin products on my rig.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007, 08:09:03 PM by Toyota_Dave »

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:09:20 PM »
ok you two, take the smack talking to pms if your going to do it

Toyota_Dave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:14:42 PM »
I was a little ticked when I first read that reply, but changed my mind and edited my response. I don't see anything wrong with buying a product that you know is ready to be put on the trail.

By the way, this is really the only board I like posting on.....even though I read a lot on Pirate, I'm just not real impressed with their attitude. I mean come on, aren't we supposed to be promoting the sport that all of us love so much.

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
I actually used a junk yard box and did a rebuild on it. I haven't got to really use it yet, but I don't see that as a bad way to go. Of course, I certainly wouldn't count out buying one from Marlin.....I've already got  quite a few Marlin products on my rig.

who did you get your rebuild kit from?

Toyota_Dave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:53:23 AM »
Actually, I got my rebuild kit directly from Toyota. I've got a buddy that's a parts manager for a local Toyota dealer and he was able to get it for me. There used to be a guy from Texas that you could order these rebuild kits from. Here's the link... http://web.archive.org/web/20050322011020/http://128.83.80.200/taco/box.html
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2007, 08:01:11 AM by Toyota_Dave »

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:12:31 AM »
I got my junkyard one for $150 from a 91? 2 years ago, so far no problems   :crossed:
Time to go wheelin!

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Actually, I got my rebuild kit directly from Toyota. I've got a buddy that's a parts manager for a local Toyota dealer and he was able to get it for me. There used to be a guy from Texas that you could order these rebuild kits from. Here's the link... http://web.archive.org/web/20050322011020/http://128.83.80.200/taco/box.html

Cool, that's the rout I would definitely go if the price was decent, I've just had to many problems with alot of the local auto parts stores and there rebuild kits.

Westy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
If anyone needs the part # for the rebuild kit PM me, otherwise Toyota can always look it up for you as well. I spent ~ $105 just for the rebuild/seal kit.

$299 for a quality built box, tested and all isnt that bad.
'86 Pickup flatbed...

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »
I was going to get a rebuilt MC box but then I came across one for a few  :twocents: and some Corona from a member on here and so I went with that. It has been great so far, i think i only spent like 60 bucks. doesnt even leak. if i had more money at the time i probably would have gone with the MC one. I would say its probably going to be kind of a PITA to find a decent one in a junkyard. I always look for stuff like that even if i dont need it and i rarely see them anyway. find one on here from a MC member or just buy an MC if you can spare the extra bills.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2007, 05:23:23 AM »

Not flaming anyone but It just seems pretty cut and dry doesnt it?  Rebuilt = works  Junkyard = unknown  Its a car part.

But I do understand what your askin...  but its entirely subjective. Yeah Toyota parts kick ass, but you might grab that one used unit that had the septor shaft repaced twice in the field, or suberged in a lake for about two weeks....

And easy on the newbs, you really never know who you are talking to.  Respect

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2007, 09:18:02 AM »
I have bought a few junk yard boxes without issues. I always know it is something I will deal with if there is a problem. NBFD

Now if you have the money and you want a premium product, I would buy the Marlin unit. I bought one for my histeer set up with hydro assist. I wanted no issues and had the money at the time.

If you need to be frugal, than go with that.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
I thought the main reason to buy something that's a little more expensive and completly rebuilt is that you get a warranty with it too.  I know Allpro gives a 5 year and assume that MC does the same (mike there is no warranty  info).
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
i just ordered my crossover steering last week and should receive it in a couple days.  i'm going with a box off an '88 i just parted out b/c i know it works.  if it goes out i will probably go with a rebuilt one.  as for flaming people for voicing their opinion based on their post count, you are a jackass.

I had a truck in the Top Truck Challenge back in 2002 so I do know a thing or two about wheeling. Keep telling yourself that your smarter than everyone else here with your [sarcasm]huge post count.[/sarcasm] :wave: I'm out!
as far as this comment goes it looks to me like it was aimed at fearofrunner, not bigmike, who actually contibuted good information, and not upped his "huge post count" by flaming NOOBs
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress