Author Topic: rotation of rear axle  (Read 1465 times)

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
rotation of rear axle
« on: Oct 04, 2006, 05:35:05 AM »
I'm still building my rig and I'm at the point of axles. I have seen lots of trucks that have rotated their rear axle so the pinion is pointed directly at the transfer case. I have a rear axle from a 94 truck that will have a e-locker in it with 4.88 gears. I went with the 4.88's because I'm going to shoehorn a ford 5.0 under the hood. My question is will my rear live with the pinion pointing at the transfer case ? keep in mind I'm building a daily driver. I still have to get the chromoly axles for both ends, I have a set of the empi heavy duty birfields. Also I was thinking about using the axle gusset from the front on the rear actually 4 of them top and bottom on both sides, or is that just overkill ? I plan on beating on the truck hard so I wanted everything to be as strong as possable. As for the rest of the drivetrain I have a 94 w56 trans and a top shift t/case that will have 4.70's and a marlin twin stick, e-lockers on both ends running 35's on 10" wheels, except for the boggers 35x16x15's will be on 12" wheels. I will have 3 sets of tires street, mud and rocks, bfg a/t, boggers and m/t Baja claw. I figure that way the off road tires will last longer, As always all comments or suggestions welcome

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: rotation of rear axle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:06:24 AM »
With a 5.0 you're gonna want more than the empi birfs, you'll shatter those the first time you flog it.  Go 30 spline longs.  I'd only go with 2 top gussets for the rear, but if you're that worried about it I'd source a ford 9" just to be sure.  If you do go longs let me know if you wanna sell the empis, I'm going very mild with my truck and I was gonna buy those later.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Male Posts: 59
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:12:44 AM »
i'm with kneedown...if you are gonna be hard on it with a 5.0, go with a different axle.  I'm not sure if your w56 is gonna live up to it either.  Just my .02.
RynsToy
SAS'd and Caged 94 PU on it's 4th set of tires in 6 months and hasn't moved an inch, currently, stock '65 GMC wheels.

RIP: Corporal Victor M. Langarica - 20 Jan 2007

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2006, 09:32:15 PM »
I was going to get the chromo bir's and the longs are what 35.00 more but wait where can you get a 30 spline replacement, no i think chromo bir's and empi spares, sounds better to me, besides someone else on the trail may need a bir cause it's gonna break,

I was thinking the gusset's for rigidity, and if the gears will live with the pinion pointing at the t/case or is that for off road or comp trucks, or is their a benefit. I was going to get longer spring perches to reduce twist
I have s13wb calipers and l/c rotors for all four corners.

got the rear axle bearing set and the solid pinion spacers on the way, gotta get the wheel spacers

I have a Dana 60 rear , a RH divorced NP205 need a Dana 60f RH 69" wms. and a NV4500

haven't been able to find an R trans yet, I'm working on getting up some recent pic's.