Author Topic: Can anyone Identify gears sets by #of drive shaft rotation for 1 tire rotation  (Read 6461 times)

Xman4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -76
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think my 85' 4runner my have different gearing front and rear?  the rear gets 2 full driveshaft rotations for each full tire totation. and the front gets 2 1/2 drive shaft rotations for each full tire rotaion.  Can anyone out there identify gearing by this method. :smack:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think that I have finally figured this problem out myself.

If you have open differentials you have to actually roll the truck with both tires on the ground and compare the drive shaft rotations to one rotation of the tire.  I don't know why, but if you have one or both of the tires off the ground it doesn't work.

If you have a limited slip or lockers, you can simply put it on stands and rotate the tires.

If your gears were as far off  as the info that you are getting your truck would pull itself apart in 4wd.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The math seems flawed unless tires on one side of the truck are held stationary.   With the 2 and 2.5 driveshaft rotations, the rear would be 4:1 (3.90/4.10?)and the the front 5:1(4.88/5.29?) ???
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

Xman4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -76
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yeah man this thing bucks like a bronco in 4wheel drive! Obviously I shut her down when I realized there was a problem. but it would have torn itself apart if I let it.  Someone told me with open diffs you need to rotate tires twice so rear would be 4 driveshaft rotations for every 2tire rotations and front would be 5 drive shaft rotations for every 2 wheel turns. :attention:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
For 4.10 gears the driveshaft should turn 4+ times for 1 rotation of the tire.

I was trying to figure out the gears on my buddies truck and it didn't work with either one or both of the tires off the ground.  We checked my truck that has a limited slip front and locker rear using the same method and it worked great.

If it is really that far off (i.e. 1/2 turn of the drive shaft difference)  I would suspect that it wouldn't even roll very far when pushed without binding up and stopping.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
yes, if it is an open diff, then you either need to hold one tire still (if vented rotors, then put a thick screw driver into a vent and let it bump up against the caliper), or you'll have to multiply the ratios by two.

You should be able to identify if it is near a 4:1 or near a 5:1, but determining if it is a 3.90 or 4.11, or a 4.88 or 5.29 would not be possible I would say.

I guess the best way to do it would be, say you didn't know if it was a 3.9 or a 4.11. Then I would carefully count the numbers of rotations through 10 or 20 rotations. Then, at that number, the two ratios would begin to distance themselves and you should be able to determine the ratio by division.

Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
take a screw driver and make a mark on the third member,  and the drive flange,  and mark the tire and the ground,  then jack one tire up,  in neutral,   have someone turn the tire til the mark makes 2 revolutions,   you will be watching the pinion flange carefully counting its revolutions  in 2 tire revs,  your will get 4 and just a tad more, as in 1/10th of a revolution,  about 3/4 inch past the 4th revolution,  this will be 4.10's

follow the same for the front,  rotoate the tire 2 times exactly, if you get  almost 5 revolutions  then you have 4.88's   if you get   5 revs and about a 1/4 turn then you have 5.29's

its very easy and almost perfect

i have 4.37's   and i get almost 4 1/2 revolutions, if i had just a hair over 4 and a 1/2  i would have 4.56's  :think:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rotate the tire 4 times and divide by 2 may give a more accurate reading.
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
well  as long as he marks everything and pays attention he can get very accurate results with 2 turns
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
 :smack: 1.put the truck on the ground.
            2.push the truck and count revolutions, while noting tire position.
            3.enjoy knowing your gearing.

it is the easiest way to do it, no multiplication or division.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
:smack: 1.put the truck on the ground.
 2.push the truck and count revolutions, while noting tire position.
 3.enjoy knowing your gearing.

it is the easiest way to do it, no multiplication or division.
its not easy to push a truck and count the pinion revolutions at the same time ::)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
as long as your spare isn't under the truck, it's fine.  push from the rear axle.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
as long as your spare isn't under the truck, it's fine. push from the rear axle.

umm ok. Being on flat ground would be a plus too.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
While were here, lets over think this. Figure tire roll out(distance traveled in one revolution)and buy a gps and tach.  Run the truck at a given speed in 4th gear and note RPM.  Doing the math and figure the ratio.    Yes I can be a smartass.

Also,  looking at the build tags will tell you what the truck came with.  Likely this is still in one of the axles.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
yea,  i think its extremely simple,  but oh well