Author Topic: Need a new exhaust on an '88 need recomendations...  (Read 3001 times)

Fatty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Need a new exhaust on an '88 need recomendations...
« on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:15:38 PM »
I'm planning on getting a header for my 22re but need advice on a Y-pipe, and a full exhaust system.  I think my cat is still good, it looks fairly new, but my muffler and pipe are are shot from the cat back.  Anyone have any advice on who makes a decent "cheap" exhaust?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if your cat has been there awhile  it doesnt matter how it looks on the outside its  how gummed up it is on the inside, how many times have you had a fouled spark plug?? but  just run a good 2 1/4 inch pipe from the cat back to a see through  type muffler, like a glass pack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
how cheap are you trying to get? i did my exhuast with a muffler i had and welded it myself
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
if your cat has been there awhile  it doesnt matter how it looks on the outside its  how gummed up it is on the inside, how many times have you had a fouled spark plug?? but  just run a good 2 1/4 inch pipe from the cat back to a see through  type muffler, like a glass pack

Well I've only had my 4runner for 2 weeks or so now.  I just replaced the spark plugs and wiring and did a tune up on the engine and thats when I noticed my header was cracked and 2 little holes in my muffler.  A see through muffler?  Didn't even know they made them :headscratch:

Captain - the cheaper the better, but willing to spend up to $400 tops!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I think Downey makes a nice full exhaust. A little pricey but probably worth it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jeremiah

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 224
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Jul '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
If you are near Fresno there is a place called Western Muffler.  They make the Xtreme Flow sieres of mufflers (like Flowmaster).  They have a lifetime warranty and dont make a yota too loud (they can if you want).  They sell high flow cats as well.  I have had thier mufflers on a stock 22RE and a 3.0 V6 with downey headers and the high flow cat.  I like them and they really made a difference.  Once I have the cash I will have them do a cat and muffler on my 88 V64Runner.  He quoted me about $240 for the high flow cat and muffler installed.

www.xtremeflow.com you can order the stuff online for pretty good prices, call and you may get a better deal.

Jeremiah
Family size: '03 Excursion 6.0 Diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer

Work and Fun: MIA...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
yea i would just goto a muffler shop,  tell them NO STOCK SIZE TUBING   you want 2 1/4 inch tube,  hi flow cat, then just a glasspack or something when you look in one end you can SEE THRU the other end,  hense very little restriction and more power
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
most shops will try to get away with using a bunch of slip fits too. If possible try to get flanges instead. slip fits can leak down the road, or sometimes even after they're just installed like mine did :shake:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i would advise againt the glasspack, every toyota i have heard with them sounds liek a cracked out weedwacker.....

i have a flowmaster 40 on mine and i liek the way it sounds....

the magnaflow i used to have sounded better though

and forget slip fits, or flanges, jsut get it welded
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
slip fit + weld the seam  = no leakie  :headshake:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i would advise againt the glasspack, every toyota i have heard with them sounds liek a cracked out weedwacker.....

[beevisvoice] :haha:  dude said wacker [/beevisvoice]

:screwy:   but those cracked out weed wackers are cool :eyebrow:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I hate the cracked out weed WACKER sound.  I have a turbo-style muffler made by a company called Walker.  It is about as quiet as stock at idle, maybe 5dB louder at open throttle.  I like it, no lawnmower sound.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Fatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Why 2 1/4" and not 2 1/2 Coyote?

jeremiah

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 224
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Jul '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Have to keep some back pressure.  I had 2.5 on my V6 with the downey headers and when i let off of hard throttle or pushed the clutch in above 3k i got the race car sound of exhaust valves that seemed to be flapping out of control.   :confused: did i just say that?  Thats what it did and i dont know if it was good for the engine.

That being said.  On a 22Rx stock 2.25 at most.  I will be putting 2.5 on my V6 with the stock exhaust manifold this time, it puts out a little more than the 22Rx and I know the #3 and #6 valve problems stem from the way it is routed over the tranny, so i am hoping the bigger size will get the gasses out of the Y a little quicker hence less heat at the heads.

Jeremiah
Family size: '03 Excursion 6.0 Diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer

Work and Fun: MIA...

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I hate the cracked out weed WACKER sound.  I have a turbo-style muffler made by a company called Walker.  It is about as quiet as stock at idle, maybe 5dB louder at open throttle.  I like it, no lawnmower sound.

I agree with ya on this!  I had a blown out muffler for two weeks, it sounded cool at first then it got really annoying!  And it ate up more gas too!  If ya get a quite muffler you can hear problems coming from other parts of your rig before they get really bad!  If your muffler is screaming in your ears, how can you hear the howl of front wheel bearings telling you to fix me!  I just get the el cheapo turbo mufflers!  They are cheap and last quite some time!  My last one lasted about 8 years! 

In my town, loud exhaust only attracts cops!  The last thing I want is to be pulled over for excessive noise, and having them trying to find something else to write me up for!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen