Author Topic: The Rubicon, Bathrooms, and YOU!!  (Read 11624 times)

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
The Rubicon, Bathrooms, and YOU!!
« on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
I've never been on the con', so MCR5 will be the first time. Someone mentioned to me that there are strick requirements on where / how we handle  uhh.... um... you know...... :pokinit:
I heard something along the lines of "pack it in-pack it out"

So my question is:

1st:    Is this true?   :confused:

and if it is true,

2nd:   How does everyone accomplish this daunting task?     :puke3:
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006, 07:31:28 AM by RockSlayer »

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: The Rubicon, Bathrooms, and YOU!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:41:11 PM »
yes, it is true, and you can do it in a number of ways..... 5 gallon bucket is the most primative.....

look into camping toilets, they have them in all sorts of types......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »
My club uses the Wag Bag, not the whole toliet but the chemical bag. Keeps the obvious smell down when you deposit your lunch from the day before in these. I hang a large bag off the rear of my rig, the net type that Cal4Wheel will give you if you want one seal the dooody bag and drop it in.

http://www.thepett.com/
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:59:20 PM »

RockSlayer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »
It didn't pop up when I did a "Rubicon Bathroom" search.

I'll have to look into the pett. Sount the easiest. Thanks for the info.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »
???  no bathrooms ?   i say make like a bear and just poo  i mean come on primative man had no bathroom...
If a ranger gose :nonono: u say im a naturalist and im in nature and if he give U a hard time tell him we the peolpe are tired of your gov butts tell use how to live wear and what 2 do   free country my :moon:  tell him i gess my DL is a privlege thats why U give them away 2 ilegle and i have 2 pay for it.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »
What about just burying it? :dunno:  As long as your far enough away from contaminating a water source, with whatever that bacteria is. 
I like to Drive!

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »
???  no bathrooms ?   i say make like a bear and just poo  i mean come on primative man had no bathroom...
If a ranger gose :nonono: u say im a naturalist and im in nature and if he give U a hard time tell him we the peolpe are tired of your gov butts tell use how to live wear and what 2 do   free country my :moon:  tell him i gess my DL is a privlege thats why U give them away 2 ilegle and i have 2 pay for it.

That will only get you a ticket and an ass whoopin from your friends.

An attitude like  that only makes it worse. How many bears do you see out there from day to day? If there were as many as us humans there would be a mess indeed.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
???  no bathrooms ?   i say make like a bear and just poo  i mean come on primative man had no bathroom...
If a ranger gose :nonono: u say im a naturalist and im in nature and if he give U a hard time tell him we the peolpe are tired of your gov butts tell use how to live wear and what 2 do   free country my :moon:  tell him i gess my DL is a privlege thats why U give them away 2 ilegle and i have 2 pay for it.
What about just burying it? :dunno:  As long as your far enough away from contaminating a water source, with whatever that bacteria is. 

This is not Big Brother or a Nature Nazi issue, even the people that wheel the Rubicon could see what was happening. There was crap all over the place from the dam all the way to the Little Sluice. It got so bad that you could see the toliet paper all over the place. They have closed off Spider Lake area because it had gotten so bad that it was dangerous. They were real close to shuting down the trail. It wasn't so much the actual wheelers but the carnage vultures that just hung out to watch you and me try to flatten our sheetmetal on a rock in the Little Sluice. From that situation pack it in and pack it all out is becoming the norm on every trail. One bear in the woods doesn't compare to all the campers shitting in the woods. For those that strive to keep the Rubicon open like the Pirates of The Rubicon or Friends of the Rubicon, to come upon you taking a crap and you not planning on taking it with you....... you'd wish that it was only a Ranger that had caught you. :maddest: 
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2006, 05:32:49 PM by Rocksurfer »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »
I've never been on the con', so MCR5 will be the first time. Someone mentioned to me that there are strick requirements on where / how we handle  uhh.... um... you know...... :pokinit:
I heard something along the lines of "pack it in-pack it out"

So my question is:

1st:    Is this true?   :confused:

and if it is true,

2nd:   How does everyone accomplish this daunting task?     :puke3:

Hold it!  :hahaha:

Rubicon Springs has pit toilets all over the place, so if you can hold it till you get there, poop while you're there, and hold it til you get out, you'll be fine.  If not, i think the easiest way to do it is buy

(1) 5 gallon bucket
(1) painter's lid for said 5 gallon bucket (this lid has a rim that screws on like a normal bucket lid, but has a center piece that screws off easier.

collect plastic bags from your food purchases. 

Now you screw 4 small picture hanging hooks into the bottom of the painters lid.  Put the painter's lid on the bucket.  when you have to :toilet: you put the handles of the plastic bag onto two of the hooks, and the sides of the bag onto the other two.  Do your business, wipe, and tie the bag shut.  leave the bag in the bottom of the bucket. When you get home, Ideally you will have a bucket of contained poop to dispose of, and you hang onto the bucket, and sometimes it makes a mess.  That is when you get rid of the bucket too.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
Last year heading down I-5 on the way to the roundup my 5 gallon bucket that had the words "El Bano" in big black letters on the side flew out of my truck somewhere near Sac. So there was probably some pretty interesting convo's from people driving by the bucket from then on "Oh my god theres a poo bucket!!"  :puke: I can see HazMat on the scene in full suits to recover the bucket (think Carl Spackler - Caddyshack) , funny thing is tho the bucket was spotless, hadnt had one poo in it yet  :talkingn:
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2006, 10:53:24 PM by KYOTA »

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
This is not Big Brother or a Nature Nazi issue, even the people that wheel the Rubicon could see what was happening. There was crap all over the place from the dam all the way to the Little Sluice. It got so bad that you could see the toliet paper all over the place. They have closed off Spider Lake area because it had gotten so bad that it was dangerous. They were real close to shuting down the trail. It wasn't so much the actual wheelers but the carnage vultures that just hung out to watch you and me try to flatten our sheetmetal on a rock in the Little Sluice. From that situation pack it in and pack it all out is becoming the norm on every trail. One bear in the woods doesn't compare to all the campers shitting in the woods. For those that strive to keep the Rubicon open like the Pirates of The Rubicon or Friends of the Rubicon, to come upon you taking a crap and you not planning on taking it with you....... you'd wish that it was only a Ranger that had caught you. :maddest: 

Thanks.   I never knew,  guess it just boils down to the sheer numbers of people.   Now I can be prepaired and do it properly.  Ah yes the official "poop tech" thread   :D   

Blackdog had a good Idea, but I'll probably try RS suggestion.  I was checking out those bags, seem pretty cool.

Funny story by the way Kyota  "El Bano"  :rofl:   just imagine if it was full..  :joke:

I like to Drive!

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2006, 10:54:50 PM »
yeah I guess it was better to loose it on the way down instead of on the way home  :o

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
My club uses the Wag Bag, not the whole toliet but the chemical bag. Keeps the obvious smell down when you deposit your lunch from the day before in these. I hang a large bag off the rear of my rig, the net type that Cal4Wheel will give you if you want one seal the dooody bag and drop it in.

http://www.thepett.com/

$45 for 12?  not to bad I guess :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
I have a pett toilet we brought with us last year, it's folds up nicely but doesn't hold the bags like a 5 gallon bucket would, but then a 5 gall bucket is not as compact and we have to minimize what we carry.
We just put the bags in the trash bag and disposed of it all later. We also have a pop-up poop tent.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
I like the PETT better than the Bumper Dumper

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2006, 09:50:35 AM »
I like the PETT better than the Bumper Dumper
  :rofl:  UNCLE BOOGER'S BUMPER DUMPER  :rofl2:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2006, 10:14:48 AM »
:rofl2:   That would be a fun ride down the highway indeed..  Migh scare the crap out of me though.  :joke:
I like to Drive!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »
:rofl2:   That would be a fun ride down the highway indeed..  Migh scare the crap out of me though.  :joke:

:rofl2: :laugh:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

RockSlayer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2006, 03:58:44 PM »
Does anybody know where to buy "The Pett" over the counter, or is it just over the internet? I live in fresno and was hoping to pick one up locally.

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 05:49:21 PM by unclejpl4x4 »
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:53:45 PM »
there are portapoties on the trail guys.  there is one on walker hill, one just before Little sluice and i believe some at the Springs.  they have been used several times but they are there.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2006, 12:53:40 PM »
there are portapoties on the trail guys.  there is one on walker hill, one just before Little sluice and i believe some at the Springs.  they have been used several times but they are there.

There are a lot of them at the springs.  :thumbs: 

-Ronald Reagan

BS

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
There are pit outhouses at Ellis creek,at the top of walker rock to the right and a lot at the springs. If you are going from Loon to Rubicon Springs in one day you should be make it.
Let's Ride !