Author Topic: How much tube?  (Read 2175 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
How much tube?
« on: Apr 06, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm working on building a cage, bed, sliders and bumpers for my 85 ex-cab. Anybody have a realistic estimate of how much tubing I'll need? It'll be a full in-cab cage, tube rails for the flat bed, pretty sparse bumpers and typical sliders. I've got 1 5/8 HREW, should I pop for a stick or two of DOM for the main hoops or just be careful how I orient the seam when bending?
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: How much tube?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2006, 03:19:59 PM »
Can't help you with much of that list, but my single rock rails are 60" in length with 2 6" supports and one 12" support x2 = 168" or 14' for just the rails.

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Can't help you with much of that list, but my single rock rails are 60" in length with 2 6" supports and one 12" support x2 = 168" or 14' for just the rails.

Thanks, it's a step in the right direction!
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
ive been told 100 ft is a good starting point
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2006, 05:56:08 PM »
ive been told 100 ft is a good starting point

Well, I have more than enough tube...I can screw up a whole bunch. Any input on the DOM vs. HREW?
Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
well i would use  dom for the main hoop

the hrew  for the rest,  keep the weld seem on the inside of all bends
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
well i would use  dom for the main hoop

the hrew  for the rest,  keep the weld seem on the inside of all bends

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Thanks

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -125
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:55:27 PM »
we have 3 sticks into my buddies cage and it is full in the cab with 2 supports coming out the rear window all the way tied into his rear bumper. realisticaly i would buy 5 sticks for everything you are doing if you have a little left over you will be able to use it down the road. also remember to get some tube 1 size up for sleeving. more then likely you have to cut cage in half then sleeve it to put into cab. especialy if you want welds all the way around
88-4runner 35 boggers,5.29s,locked in rear. finally got a sas!!!! pics at photobucket(crapyota)
checkout www.nw-wheelers.com

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2006, 08:06:31 PM »
we have 3 sticks into my buddies cage and it is full in the cab with 2 supports coming out the rear window all the way tied into his rear bumper. realisticaly i would buy 5 sticks for everything you are doing if you have a little left over you will be able to use it down the road. also remember to get some tube 1 size up for sleeving. more then likely you have to cut cage in half then sleeve it to put into cab. especialy if you want welds all the way around

Man, I am so covered on the tube! I bought some at a shop closing about 2 1/2 years ago...I've got 240 ft!
Maybe I'll do an ino-exo-cage.
Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2006, 08:21:26 PM »
Sliders, interior cage, rock sliders, front bumper, rear bumper, and tie them all together.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »
DOM is overrated.. just look at boogerweldz exo cage.. his DOM rear hoop bent  but the rest of his cage is made from pipe and its perfect.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
agreed, a properly built cage with hrew is fine. heres a good thread about it, and seam orientation is a matter of preference, multi plane bends you cannot help where the seam ends up. as stated in the thread when was the last time you saw a split seam in a peice of tubing?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459632

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2006, 09:42:36 PM »
as stated in the thread when was the last time you saw a split seam in a peice of tubing?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459632

I guess...now that you mention it, never. Maybe that's an urban legend, let's get the myth busters on the case.
Thanks everyone, just saved me some money!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)