Author Topic: My '75 hilux build, wrecked it.....  (Read 55111 times)

75 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My '75 hilux build, wrecked it.....
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:01:50 PM »
Picked up a truck last week. I bought a '75 because I wanted to be pre-smog in california.  Not much to look at and I don't want to think about all that I have to do. Put it in the garage and started dismantling it. I found out I have to take it to dmv to have the id# checked because it was off the books.
  1st photo is when I brought it home, 2nd is in the garage and 3rd is on the trailer ready to go to dmv a week after the 1st photo.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 04:02:55 PM by 75 toy »

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: My '75 hilux build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
This is the front axle, I rebuilt it and armored the front while I was waiting to get the truck. It got all new bearings and an aussie locker. I kept the 4:10s because I still don't know what kind of motor I'm going to use.  I used the rear springs with a couple of leafs out of the rear of an early bronco trimmed to fit. The early trucks had the body mounts enclosed on the bottom so I had to mount the rear spring hanger under the frame. I used a stock rear hanger from the rear spring.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:23:09 AM »
You work fast! Any ideas yet on the motor you are going to use? How about a bed? A dove tailed stock bed would sure be different. If I remember right, those old Hiluxs have "Toyota" stamped into the tailgate. A narrow tailgate with just the stamped "Toy" would be cool. :) At the rate you are going, the build should be done next week. ;)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »
I'm not sure about the motor. I have a 20r that came in the truck that has been sitting for 10 years and a 22r that needs a rebuild and the head is toast. I'm looking at a 4.3 chevy and would like to find a 1.9 VW turbo diesel as another option. The VW only has 90hp or so stock but its easy to tweak turbo diesels to get more hp, and tons more torque. The electronics scare me :yikes:  about the chevy vortec v6 since I really don't have a Toyota harness to speak of. I would have to really have a stand alone harness that just needs hot, start, and run wires. I want decent mpg since I plan to drive this to work.
   I'm planing to chop off the frame and use a 4-link with a flatbed of sorts from round tube extended form a exo cage. Either quarter elliptical or coilovers if the finances allow them. The bed was bent up pretty bad and missing a tailgate when I got it, it went out for curbside cleanup and the scrap guys got it.
  If I run quarter elliptical leafs what are the best springs? I've heard 1ton chevys??  Seems a lot to me. :confused:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »
THIS HEAD IS TOAST..... The black thing by the plug hole in #1 cylinder is a piece of the valve that is missing in #2 cylinder. How it got there is beyond me.  I drove this truck on the trailer like this, it was making a lot of noise... The pistons are chewed up but the cylinder walls look ok, I cant feel any groves or nicks in them.

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »
Wow I love the head shot.  Sure is strange how that valve jumped cylinders.
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.

Chad_Romine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Mar '06
  • RubiCrawler
    • View Profile
    • Local wheelin
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »
Dont see too many 75's on the trail. Sweet find.

LCOwner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Dec '02
  • Have you seen his shop OMG!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Cruiser Build-up page.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »
Run a Toyota 3RZ.  Read Big Mikes thread on his install and do a search for 3RZ on here and the Pirate board.
'71 FJ40, 350 TPI/420, 4.70/mini, 60's/5.38/42's, under construction.
'83 FJ60, SOA underway.  Soon to have a Police 350TBI/700R4/.....
Hill Hoppers Central Valley 4 Wheelers - Founding Member
Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno - #1127

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:23:48 PM »
What is a 3RZ? I'm not familiar with Toyota's enough to know the motors. I saw a supra 6cyl at the junkyard last week but a lot of wires.  I'm looking for something fairly simple but fuel injected. I'll probably go with a Chevy 4.3.
  I'm pulling the body back off the truck and change the rear hangers on the front springs. I used the rear hanger and put it under the frame but it is too low. I'm going to cut the bottom out of the body mounts and put the bushing through the frame like the stock trucks have. I'm going to attach a 2x6 rectangular tube to the body mounts and add a couple of tubes in to the frame to support it. I can use that for a rock ski and attach my exo cage to it for more support. Hope to start on that this weekend.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:47:59 PM »
Working on the exocage now. Still have a lot to do, I'n torn between trying to save weight and overdoing everthing. Borrowed a JD2 bender from a friend, nice bender. I put some 35's on the front to check for clearance. I still need to get some tires.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2006, 10:47:26 PM »
Lookin good man!  Is that the extent of your fender trimming or are you going to do a little more?  The 3rz is the tacoma/t100 4 cylinder, much nicer than the 22r engines, and if you get the right years then there's not a lot of wiring involved per say.  You could do a search in projects (I think?) and find bigmike's project, as well as a few others that have done the 3rz swap for info.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »
I'm going to trim the front from the rock ski around the fender lip outside the opening and straight to the bottom of the grille for now. If it hits I can trim it to the top if I need to. I'm not really worried about metal on this. I looked at the motor swap on Marlin's truck Yikes!! Way too many wires for me. I like simplicity.. I put some gas in the carb of the 20R today and it started right away. Not bad for sitting in a field for 10 years. My plan is to use it for now and keep my engine options open. Since I'm pre-smog I can pretty much put anything in it. I might end up with a modified 22R or a GM V6.  I want to use a GM one wire alternator and only need 3 wires to run my truck, one to the alternator, one to the coil, and one to the starter. If I can find a carb that will run upside down and on its side I'll be happy. On V8 rigs we used to run Quadrajet 4bbl's. I've seen trucks idleing with the rig lying full on its side with them. 

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:00:57 AM »
Cage is almost done, Should I make the rear hoop behind the cab a double tube?? I don't think I need it for strength and it would only add weight and make it hard to take off the cage. I have the cage on mounting plates and plan on using a slip tube between the cab and bed so the bed will stay on and I can take off the cage.  Anyone think I should add anymore to the front bumper??? 

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Re: My '75 hilux build, exocage question.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »
Cage is almost done, Should I make the rear hoop behind the cab a double tube?? I don't think I need it for strength and it would only add weight and make it hard to take off the cage. I have the cage on mounting plates and plan on using a slip tube between the cab and bed so the bed will stay on and I can take off the cage.  Anyone think I should add anymore to the front bumper??? 
No, I wouldn't make the rear hoop a double tube, but I would consider an X brace to strengthen that rear hoop when you flop. The front bumper looks great. I wouldn't add anything. The ONLY thing that I would change is removal of the short stub you have wraping around the corner. I would run the tube as you have it up and over the fender opening. :twocents: Great fab work. :yesnod:  :flamer:  :yesnod:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
thanx, The cage is on square pads that bolt to the rectangular rock skids on the bottom. the only reason I didn't want to make the brace in the back is that the cage slides off over the front of the truck. It makes it really nice to take a few bolts out (22) and the cage comes off to do anything to the truck or to get my fix-it ticket signed off if I get one for the brace in front of the windshield.
  I have it off now, finished welding it up and going to paint the cage and truck before I put it back on. I changed the windshield too while its off. I trimmed the front fenders off even with the front bumper, I left the bumper stub ends figuring I could trim them as needed after I get tires. 
 Worked enough on it today, time to relax   :beer:

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
That thing is SWEET!  If you are looking for easy, combine the 22 block and the 20r head, get some new pistons and such and run propane...no new wiring harness needed, no fancy computers...4cyl gas mileage...runs upside-down... :thumbs:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »
DANG! A 75!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2006, 03:30:32 PM »
That thing is SWEET!  If you are looking for easy, combine the 22 block and the 20r head, get some new pistons and such and run propane...no new wiring harness needed, no fancy computers...4cyl gas mileage...runs upside-down... :thumbs:
The problem with that idea is CA's wonderful smog laws. It's tough to get a propane vehicle on the street. Is it smog exempt because it is now 31 years old?

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »
that is pretty cool. Keep up the good work.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

rocktoy83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 505
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »
That is a sweet 75 that you are putting together,cant Waite to see it all dun.It is looking good :thumbs:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2006, 07:53:57 PM »
'75 is the last year for smog exempt vehicles in California.  That's one reason I built a '75, the other is because its different.  I've heard propane has a lot of power loss at altitude. It's something I was thinking about but it has a few drawbacks, one is carrying extra fuel.  I've been kicking around the VW TDI idea because of fuel prices.  I looked into toyota diesel engines but people want a lot of money for them. I can pretty much do anything since its pre-smog. Right now I want to get the rest of the truck done and just keep my eyes open for something to put in it. Right now it just has the 20R and I kept the 4:10 gears until I decide what motor I use. I put in duel cases so don't need the gears for wheeling.
 I just primered the cage. I had it sitting in the front yard, looks pretty funny. Like I have an invisible truck.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:24:03 PM »
HA! It is an invisible truck!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:46:29 PM »
Invisible exo-caged lowrider truck!
Careful about leaving crap like that around, there are such scum around, they will pick that up, place that on their truck and drive off with it.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:53:13 PM »
Its in the back yard now with my alarm system.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: My '75 hilux build, finally almost done
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2006, 10:08:17 PM »
Got it drivable, just a few more things to do. It still needs rear shocks and some wiring done. I still plan to put in Longfields before I take it out on the trail but its getting there. Aussie lockers front and back, Marlins case, high steer with Toyota gearbox and GM Saginaw pump, Jeep YJ radiator, rear springs in front and rear springs in the back turned backward. 113" wheelbase, think I might go to Chevy rear springs for more flex and shorten the wheelbase some.  I lost my motivation and it sat for a month or so but back working on it again the last couple of weeks.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: My '75 hilux build, exocage
« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2006, 10:46:46 PM »
ah she's a beauty. could use some more pictures though...

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »
More pictures when it goes somewhere besides my neighbors stump in his front yard... Hopefully within a few weeks it will be at Bald Mt for a test run. I want to do a few runs before finishing the bed so I don't have to cut everything off to change any design problem. I plan on trailering it for awhile so its easy to get home if something breaks.

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 26, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »
I love the dual front head lights.  Makes for a real classy ride.  Keep the pics coming please  :D
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.

yotakid88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Sep '05
  • on the rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 26, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »
I love how the exo comes off. thats a realy good Idea.
got low range
95/91 pickup, 3in tuff country lif and a bunch of marlins stuff.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 26, 2006, 08:30:03 PM »
Looks Cool   What size and thickness tube did you use ?