Author Topic: My '75 hilux build, wrecked it.....  (Read 55143 times)

pickemup81

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
lets see those 40's :smoke:
86 4runner now with sas and other garbage

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I only ran the IROK's for a couple of days and went back to my bfg 35's for the street. It's much more driver friendly with the small tires. I have the 4wheel parts lifetime free replacement  on the 40's so figure if I only use them off road they should pretty much be good forever.  :ha_ha:  I just put them on when I'm trailering it somewhere to wheel it. Its kind of a pain but I don't see running the soft tires around town and wearing them out just to look cool.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
nice work... i like how u made the bracket on the tie rod. clever
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks Good . I like the steering hook up . I imagine we will see that in their kits soon after they see yours.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
Looks Good . I like the steering hook up . I imagine we will see that in their kits soon after they see yours.

Haha.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
so would ya call that a zero gen toyota?
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

chaseheadrick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Awsome work! I also really like the idea of a removeable exo, but i am curious as to how well it holds up to flops, being bolt on and all? have you had it upside down yet?
85 pickup, 35x13.5 toyos on 15x10 steelies, 2'' BL, 3'' sus. lift,
soon to get:
dual ultimate w/10* clock,
5.29s and Lockrites front and rear

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
not yet, knock on wood  :hammerhead:. It ties in at a lot of places so it should be pretty strong. I'm putting down another bar in the back that ties into the main bar at the level of the side window that should make it stronger too. I'll get it done before the hammers so should have a photo of it then.

chaseheadrick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
well, i think you should flop it for fun. then i will know if i want to make a bolt on exo or not :thumbs:
soon to get:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
well, i think you should flop it for fun. then i will know if i want to make a bolt on exo or not :thumbs:

Haha...what are friends for anyway?
mrkupfer@gmail.com

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thats why you put on a exocage, so you won't roll it. Its like when you take a spart part, you never break that part... :yupyup:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
Thats why you put on a exocage, so you won't roll it. Its like when you take a spart part, you never break that part... :yupyup:

Of course.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Of course.
a fine example of murphys law :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

chaseheadrick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
well, if you get a chance could you pm me pics of all the mounting points? i want to steal your idea.....if it works. J/K
soon to get:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Photos on page one shows all the attachment points. The front square tube going from the rock ski to the frame is also welded along the side of the body mount. You would have to attach the front in a different place than the body mount if you are using the mount. Where the cage attaches to the bed is a slip joint and comes apart when the cage slides forward and the bolt is out of the tube. I just used a piece of solid bar in the tube, welded one side and drilled a hole through the other. I built the cage and bed as one piece and cut it apart there later when I took it off to paint. I put in the piece before putting it back togather. I cant attach photos to PM messages. If you want to see any photos that are not posted you cam PM me with your e-mail address and I can mail them to you.

gonepostal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
that thing kicks mucho tail!  keep it coming :beer:

milla85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
I really like the head lights on you "ride" idk just something about them look neat! Keep up the awsome work.  :thumbs:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Now I just need to sell my 35's. :crossed:
  I really like my ram setup. I forgot how they drive since selling the bronco. It took my a day or so to get used to it again but now I'm glad I finally got off my butt and got it on. Its been lying in the garage for a couple of months.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
do you having any rubbing issues with your new tires?

btw.  Very sweet ram fix.  I also have wondered about the adjustments after the thing is welded on. 

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The tires do rub on the springs at full turn but I don't want to move my stops because when I drive it on the street I run 35's and its nice to be able to make U-turns.
  I love the ram. If you have never driven one it feels really different. The only way I can think of to discribe it is that its like driving a video game. The steering feels less "power" at first but it never changes from that feel. I mean it is no harder to turn if the tires are flat or full, on snow or granite. You also have no feel of the road. You cannot feel the truck pull against you in a turn or when going over uneven pavement. You know how when the streets get really dishedand the truck tries to go up on the ridges? None of that. When you get used to it you would never want a truck with big tires with anything else. I'm sure it would be easy to do the same thing I did by just buying some 1 1/4" ID tubing and tapping some holes in the long piece. I made it but just because I had more time to do it than look for the tube. I just made a new hose because one was not long enough. I just got reusable ends and 5' of hose. Now at least if I ever blow a hose I can fix it.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think the best thing you can do is get a 4x4 frame and put your body on it. The front crossmember in the early frame is at least 6 or 8" higher than the 4x4 frame in relation to the rear part where the springs mount. The early frame also is closer togather than the 4x4 frame so a standard conversion kit won't work. You will have to use body lift pucks to clear the 4x4 crossmember and move the rear body mounts forward about an inch. You will have to fabricate front body mounts to fit but I still think it is better. I tried to use the stock frame but finally gave up.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
nice looking truck by the way..

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: My '75 hilux build, getting a vortec v6 now
« Reply #83 on: Jul 05, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »
OK, my 22r finally bit the dust. It started smelling like antifreeze when it started and then when it didnt start one day and I pulled out the plugs it sprayed antifreeze all over my garage out of #4.  Luckily I had a turbo 350 with a adapter on it in my shed for the last year and had bought a '94 S10 blazer with a vortec cpi v6 and stripped it of the harness and everything else I could think of.
  So it starts again.... :hammerhead:

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jul 05, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
It's in with just a little frame modification and motor mounts. The rear crossmember is in the same place. Not a lot of room behind the motor but almost 4in between the water pump and radiator. Now the hard part, all the wires and hoses

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
Sweet!!  :popcorn:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #86 on: Jul 06, 2009, 04:32:11 AM »
Same motor as mine  :clap:  You will be impressed, if you need help with the wiring PM me.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
Thanks for the offer, I really hate wires...... and I'm not looking forward to this.
 BTW if you need a nice transmission cooler try one off a Ford Superduty with a 7.3. They were in trucks from '99-03 and just need the brackets trimmed. The second pic shows the cooler, the small cooler on the bottom is for my Power steering fluid.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
finally got it going, didn't take a lot of pictures during. I got more than a little discouraged a couple of times but its running now. I notched the frame to clear the exhaust better and got the wiring done and loomed. I took it and got my exhaust done..... I could weld better than that guy when I was 12.  It cleared the transfer case only by about 3/8 inch and the gas tank by no more than 2 inches. NOT HAPPY but I from looking at the welds I knew I didnt want him re-doing it since it would look the same again so I took it to another shop and got the job done right. I still have a few little bugs but I'm working them out.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
here you go, muffler outpost exhaust system