Author Topic: Ridge Route, Empire Strikes Back, Calico... Boy I'm Tired  (Read 4802 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Ridge Route, Empire Strikes Back, Calico... Boy I'm Tired
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
We had a great time, and a large turnout, 9 rigs total. We did the Ridge Route and a portion of Empire Strikes Back. On the Ridge Route Someone found a little side trail and wanted someone to give it a shot, he even mentioned that it "looked easier" than the off-camber up hill climb to the top, yeah it was a flatter route but with steps, rocks more steps and lots more rocks. So of course I gave it a shot just to show up all those mega rigs that were in my company.

I swung into action with my mild trail rig while the BIGG DOGGS sat and watched in awe as I smashed and bashed my way through this little side route. I made it almost all the way through and could have kept trying but figured that we needed to move on so I allowed myself to winched out of this supposedly easy bypass.

All I have to say is nobody else gave it even a thought. So once freed from this pit we moved on up on top of the Ridge, we then dived back down into the valley and had lunch while watching an offroad race that was going on.

After lunch we went to check out Empire Strikes Back and the BIGG DOGGS finally decided that they wanted to play. I felt that with only limited slips climbing up through all the ball bearing rocks would play havoc on my truck so I spotted everyone that tried up to the mine, and nobody wanted to give the drop-off a shot so once on top they turned around and went back down.

On Sunday we decided to go over to Calico, I left my truck and went with an old friend that hasn’t been able to wheel for a while since this was a lite day. We went up Phillips Rd. to the mine and went to have a look, there are several new cave-ins that restricted our movements within the mine but the big open areas are still intact. After we started to the backside of Calico. We went completely behind the radio towers and ended up at this amazing overlook. Someone found an odd piece of material that may have come off of some type of aircraft. It’s this gray-specked fiberglass like material that he says it's part of the shuttle, that's his story and he's stickin' to it.

Here are some pics of me working the easy route: ::)
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
FRED!, this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!!! :talkingn:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Someone found an odd piece of material that may have come off of some type of aircraft. It’s this gray-specked fiberglass like material that he says it's part of the shuttle, that's his story and he's stickin' to it.

:psss: don't tell him I have seen the shuttle (numerous times, they have one at Kennedy Space Center 50 minutes from the house) and they are not made of fiberglass, are not gray or speckled.  :rofl:

The pics are great. Looking forward to more! :thumbs: :psss: this reminds me why I like mud.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
looks like fun 
 U should be carefull tho   i hear sand people like to hid in the hills
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
:psss: don't tell him I have seen the shuttle (numerous times, they have one at Kennedy Space Center 50 minutes from the house) and they are not made of fiberglass, are not gray or speckled.  :rofl:

The pics are great. Looking forward to more! :thumbs: :psss: this reminds me why I like mud.

I know, I used to work with the D.O.D. as a courier, and have also saw a few of them as they were being built in Downey and don't remember anything that even looked close to it. It does look like a piece of a wing though, but you are not going to convince him of anything else.  :laugh:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
EMPIRE :drool:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
One more of Empire and one at Calico.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
I have been to Calico, but where are the trails "Ridge Route" and "Empire Strikes Back" located? The "empire" trail looks nice. :yesnod:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I have been to Calico, but where are the trails "Ridge Route" and "Empire Strikes Back" located? The "empire" trail looks nice. :yesnod:

Empire and the Ridge Route are in Stoddard Valley which is about a half hour away from Calico. We only did a small section of the Empire Strikes Back which is a very gruelling all day affair if you do the whole trail. It is a featured trail during Cal4Wheels event, High Desert Roundup held Memorial Day weekend. Sometimes it is worth paying to go to the events to find the really good trails in an area like Stoddard since nothing is marked due to it being an open area. Plus they have some neat events to test your driving skills.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006, 12:45:17 PM by Rocksurfer »

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
how far from the 15 are those trails?

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
how far from the 15 are those trails?

10-15 min. off Hodge rd. exit. by Stoddard Wells rd. Unfortunately nothing is marked out there so finding them is always a chore. I can drive right up to Empire but telling you how to get there..... :dunno:

Maybe I should learn how to use that gps thingy I have sitting next to my computer at home. :gap:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Maybe I should learn how to use that gps thingy I have sitting next to my computer at home. :gap:
We tried to find Outer Limits in JV a few months ago from GPS coordinates off the net. About three hours later, we found it after asking everyone we ran into for directions. :gap:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Empire and the Ridge Route are in Stoddard Valley which is about a half hour away from Calico. We only did a small section of the Empire Strikes Back which is a very gruelling all day affair if you do the whole trail. It is a featured trail during Cal4Wheels event, High Desert Roundup held Memorial Day weekend. Sometimes it is worth paying to go to the events to find the really good trails in an area like Stoddard since nothing is marked due to it being an open area. Plus they have some neat events to test your driving skills.

So, I can drop my wife off at the outlets for shopping, wheel all day, and then pick her up. Sounds like a win win :yesnod:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club

So, I can drop my wife off at the outlets for shopping, wheel all day, and then pick her up. Sounds like a win win :yesnod:

Absolutely, you can see the Outlet Center on Empire.