Author Topic: crawl box poping out of gear  (Read 2448 times)

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
crawl box poping out of gear
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »
I am working on an 85 runner for a good freind and I can't get the crawl box to stay in gear. I have shimmed the detent ball twice and made sure ( with a mirror) that I can see the notch the ball is supposed to drop into when looking down the hole the detent spring and ball goes into. what now?

It is a Marlin dual case setup,assambled by the guys at Marlin, never ben run before and works great otherwise. I just can't send it away with a bungee ont he shift lever :gap:

Thanks
Wayne

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
Re: crawl box poping out of gear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »
my guess would be either the shifter boot is causing this, the floor cut out is not big enough, or you need HD detent spring.
You win some, you lose some.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »
I used to have a stock rubber boot over my shifter and it would always pop out of gear on me
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

ZukIzzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:45:12 PM »
Well the floor cut out is stock and the boot too so I don't think that would be it. the stock one did not pop out of gear and the lever placment it the same, same lever even. I shimmed the detent spring abaot 60 thou. it made  a difference but still will work out.  maybe the Hd spring is the ticket.

wayne

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »
had the same problem, really hated it and went with the HD springs.  Worked like a charm.  Go with that and I'm sure it'll work out for ya.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »
We fixed it :_order:  We trimmed about 1/2" from the right side of the console and slightly bent the wire frame of the leather boot. ;)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

ZukIzzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
We fixed it :_order:  We trimmed about 1/2" from the right side of the console and slightly bent the wire frame of the leather boot. ;)

Yep it does not pop out of gear any more. We figured it was pushing out of gear as teh drive train flexed under Accel.

Thanks for the help

Wayne

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
Sweet!! Make sure you still have a good 1/4 clearance between the shifter and the body. Depending on what crossmember you guys are using, that drivetrain can move around more then you might think, especially in some situations that you would rather it not pop out of gear!!

If a stock 2.28 dual case is poping out of gear, 9 out of 10 times it is interference with the shifter. HD springs are never required/needed on this setup.

The install looks pretty good :thumbs: If you want to get the 2nd t/case shifter up higher and reduce its range of movement at the same time, then consider a short throw kit for it. We typically move the control switches there to behind the shifter, and cut a complete square out of that area, and with the short throw, especially if this 4Runner has a rear heater, it fits like a glove, even with with a cab boot :greengrin:

Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:17:22 PM »
Sweet!! Make sure you still have a good 1/4 clearance between the shifter and the body. Depending on what crossmember you guys are using, that drivetrain can move around more then you might think, especially in some situations that you would rather it not pop out of gear!!

If a stock 2.28 dual case is popping out of gear, 9 out of 10 times it is interference with the shifter. HD springs are never required/needed on this setup.

The install looks pretty good :thumbs: If you want to get the 2nd t/case shifter up higher and reduce its range of movement at the same time, then consider a short throw kit for it. We typically move the control switches there to behind the shifter, and cut a complete square out of that area, and with the short throw, especially if this 4Runner has a rear heater, it fits like a glove, even with with a cab boot :greengrin:

Mike

Hey Mike we need your help. :bowdown:
The crawl box is still popping out of gear. I was descending a steep hill in low gear (crawl box in low and rear case in 4wl) when it popped. :yikes:  Here is the info on the setup:
- Marlin built dual ultimate t cases 2.8 front 4.7 rear 21 spline(tell me where to look and I'll tell you the #)
- Marlin dual t-case mount with two brand new mounts for each case

First, I don't think I have quite a 1/4 inch clearance between the range box shifter and the right side of the console (so more trimming tonight)

Second, the duals were originally setup as a forward shift that we converted back to a  top shift.

Maybe a spring problem? For now (headed to the Hammers this weekend) I guess I'll keep my hand on the shifter to keep it in gear. :gap:
Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2006, 04:21:57 PM by Shoyrtt »

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 12:14:39 AM »
Well I ordered the Marlin HD Shift Spring and I can't seem to figure out how to install it.  :dunno:  :help:

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:54:10 PM »
remove the plug on the side of the transfer case, fish the old spring out with a magnet, and replace with the new spring.  Takes like 5 minutes, and should solve your problem

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo