Author Topic: How to Pass Smog  (Read 261681 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: How to Pass Smog
« Reply #90 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Not looking forward to smog in another year...ill have to buy a cat!  Heeeeereeeee kitty kitty kitty

Smogging vehicles is just a way to make more money.  I agree its rediculous.  My dad told me if I register my vehicle in Ukiah, CA, I wont have to smog anymore.  I could claim residence there too my stepsister lives there and shes nice.  Right now I have all the smog stuff minus a cat.

HEY i got a question i just thought of after rambling on....
My stock 220K old cat had a "thermo sensor" in it.  Does not having this screw anything up with the smog computer on a 22r?  Its an old 22r.....1982.  Exhaust sure flows nice without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope, it doenst matter..... i have heard you just remove it, so it doesnt look like its supposed to be there.....

i have a thread about it called "what is this"
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »
Certain counties that do not require smog bi-annually will require a smog check to re-register there, unfortunately.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Mar 11, 2007, 12:25:23 PM »
I thought i would share my results from Washington....

I have an 86' 22re Turbo, Lifted, 37" baja claws, 5.29's. 108,000 miles, k&n Intake, straight 2 1/2" exhaust from turbo back with a glass pack. I had about 3/4 tank of gas, poured 1 quart of rubbing alcohol (courtesy of safeway). When waiting in line i was idling my truck up to 210 degrees. Went to take my test and he asked if i could do the driving part. I turned the heater on in the cab to the floor, put it in 3rd gear and only had to do the 25mph test. PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS!!!

Hope this Helps.

Oh and, i ran 87 octane shell, valves not adjusted, (did them last night and they were out) And ran it on older engine oil.
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »

nope, it doenst matter..... i have heard you just remove it, so it doesnt look like its supposed to be there.....

i have a thread about it called "what is this"
just hollow it out... if your lucky like me and live in a county where you only smog it when you change ownership
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #94 on: Mar 28, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
I made a 20 dollar exhaust system after shopping at kregans.  I bought some bendy pipe and clamps and rigged it up.  About 100% better than what I had before.  I used 2 inch pipe i believe, and the tail pipe is 2 1/4 with a magnaflow. it sounds good, but I wish I had a flowmaster 60 with some LCE headers. This is the least of my worries though.  Front suspension needs major work
Smogging is just something you have to work around. Its not really that bad. I bet the smog guys get excited when they get to test a sweet lifted toyota cause they get to sit in it and pretend like they are driving. Theyre like WOO :driving:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jun 05, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Well guys, Wish me luck...
Ive been reading up on this thread for quite some time, cause my trucks marked as a gross polluter (yeah i know... :shake_head:) and Ive been trying to get it to pass out at the Butte College referee (*cough a$$holes cough cough*) :lipsrsealed:
Basically a 3.0 v6 with headers, cams, intake, exhaust etc. and what not does not like to smog  :snare:
I almost passed last time, but i was way high on the Hydro Carbons at idle, which i had way too low (680rpm) so I'm gonna up it this time, change my timing and oil, run some Walgreen's alcohol and hope for the best  :crossed: :crossed:

Thanks for the advice, You guys are pretty helpful.
Ill post my results tomorrow...
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #96 on: Jun 11, 2007, 12:37:03 AM »
just curious...what kind of MPG do you get with the 3.0 with all those upgrades?
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #97 on: Jun 11, 2007, 12:37:44 AM »
oh ya, i put in a change of address from the DMV so I live in ukiah, ca now and DONT HAVE TO SMOG ANYMORE.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Jun 11, 2007, 01:01:08 AM »
Welcome to the dark side  :smokin:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jun 11, 2007, 03:53:39 AM »
Words of advice before you smog any car or truck.

Find a shop that knows what they are doing.  There is way to many greenhorn smog techs these days that have very little real world experience.

Like the dip when I bought my Toyota 8 hours later (thank god he did not bill me that) he finally concludes my converter is hollowed out. So this newbie deluxe spent all that time adjusting the carb and timing basically learning on my truck.

Put a new converter on passed with flying colors.

or the guy who when I smogged my Honda was in such a rush he flunked it visually because of the headers, WTF they had a CARB EO number plate welded to them. To make matters worse he left the car to get  cold and just proceeded to smog it anyways so another ding failed the HC test by 5-7 points. I t was not even worth arguing with these jerks I just took the car some place else and surprise it passed.

Request a pre test if possible that your car or truck might fail.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Do you want

high/low humidity

high/low temperature

high/low altitude  (i.e.  low/high air pressure)

to maximize your chances of passing?

Or some weird combo
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jul 02, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
I just took my 85 Runner EFI in for emissions to see what I will have to fix when my tags are due... being that I stripped all emissions from the motor and left only the cat.. and sure enough, she passed on idle! I got my certificate and left with a smile.. emission controls are over-rated! ;)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #102 on: Jul 02, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
Request a pre test if possible that your car or truck might fail.

This is very good advice. When I first got my MR2 running (bought it with a blown engine), I needed to smog it in order to register it in my name. It was my first vehicle and I had no clue about anything (much like today), so I just drove around and found a shop to smog it.

20 mins later, the guy walks out and he says "Welp, looks like you are gonna have to take it to a test only center because it is a gross polluter.......... that'll be $40 bucks"

What?!! It turned out that the cat was super old and was wasted (I had no idea about it, I just rebuilt the engine and started driving), which is nice, I am all for clean emissions from the tail pipe as I enjoy fresh & clean air, but he could have just told me to replace it, but instead he ran it through the computer system and now my MR2 is branded as a "gross polluter / test only" for the rest of its life!!! Or so that is what he told me. I think I heard that there was a way of removing the "test only" status from a vehicle, but I never looked into it.

It is definitely worth doing a pre-test if you either have never smogged your vehicle before, or have not smogged it for a long time (like it was NON OP for a while).

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #103 on: Jul 09, 2007, 12:01:46 AM »
today i installed my weber 38 and header.  NO MORE vacuum tubes or smog components!  it should be running tomorrow

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Jul 09, 2007, 12:42:19 AM »
I hope you left vaccuum advance and brake booster :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Jul 09, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
today i installed my weber 38 and header.  NO MORE vacuum tubes or smog components!  it should be running tomorrow
How does it pass smog like that?    :dunno:   

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Jul 26, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »
just curious...what kind of MPG do you get with the 3.0 with all those upgrades?

Haha, Very Crappy Milage..
Prolly 17 highway, 14-15 around town...
But man She'll get up and go  :disturbed:

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
'94 4Runner

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Aug 14, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »
I live just outside Albuquerque, New Mexico.  All vehicles from 1975-1985 have to pass smog every year.  After I had my motor rebuilt in my '82 I tuned the carb and it passed with nothing coming out the tailpipe.  :moon: failed me because ABQ has a new law that says your gas cap has to undergo a "pressure test".  Come to find out that almost no locking caps pass that test.   :hammerhead: Stupid huh?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #108 on: Aug 15, 2007, 09:44:41 AM »
:moon: failed me because ABQ has a new law that says your gas cap has to undergo a "pressure test".

Man, that sucks. This nearly happened to me at a very critical moment. When I did my engine conversion, I scheduled a Referee appointment (agency that inspects all engine conversions to make sure they are safe and legal for on road use) and took my truck in. There were about 6 guys crawling all around my rig, in the interior, under the truck on creepers, and after about an hour the guy came out and told me that everything looks great (visual check) and that they are going to run the final test, the emissions test.

So I am getting nervous because its an old CAT and if I fail then I have to reschedule and go through the whole 1 hour process all over again, I was thinking I should have replaced the CAT or the o2 sensors............. and then the guy came out and said, "well, it sailed right through the smog process, however your gas cap does not fit our pressure checker"

WHAT?!?!

Man, I just bought that cap the day before because I wanted a cap with a lock on it, and now it is going to fail me. The guy told me that if I can get another cap put on that fits his machine that it would be the last thing to check off and I would get the whole engine conversion approved. So I called up TURBO and the guy was so cool that he drove all the way across town for me and he was almost there when the guy came back out and told me that they were able to hold the cap onto the machine by hand and it held pressure and passed.

SWEET.

So yup, I nearly failed an entire engine conversion referee test all because my brand-new gas cap would not fit their machine. Retarded.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Aug 15, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
I had something very similar happen when I had my '83 Volvo 240GLTi smogged here.  Passed the test, but the gas cap I bought 10 minutes earlier failed!!  Now for the funny part.... I pulled out the 1983 original OEM cap to see if it would pass and it did!!  It is just a way to fail people and charge them for another test.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
Actually, a LOT of the newer caps that you get from the local auto store fail.  Chinese made junk, of course.  It's always a good idea to bring your old one, too, just in case.(oh, and have the tech pressure test the cap beforehand - saves tons of angst for both of you)

As for passing, the simple fact is that the cat is 50% of it right there.  I know they say they last a decade or more, but ever since they started using oxygenated gas here in California, I've not had a cat that passes smog for more than 3-4 years.  Swap a cat and presto - works fine.(the idea of keeping a spare to swap in for the test is brilliant, actually).

My last car I replaced one on, a Volvo 240(car after that was a 1967-exempt!), the emissions dropped from not passing to brand new - literally from 200ppm to something like 6.  Two years later, it was at something like 180 - right at the limit. 

I've never had a cat go bad that fast before, but that was the second car in 6 years with it nearly dead at 2, gone by 4.  Only the gas changed.

Of course, oil change and new air filter. New plugs as well - good time to change them.  I actually do mine every year when I register it - 15K, like clockwork - easy habit to get into.  $10 in plugs every year(4 cyl) makes an astounding difference in how it runs as well. 

It's also a good time to change brake pads and so on - 3/4 worn isn't nearly as good as new.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #111 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
I think it would be interesting to try and smog my 22r and see what the emissions were.  i think they would blow the charts through the back of the computer. if i gas it and look at the ass of my muffler, i see the exhaust coming out.  my trucks exhaust smells like some of the UPS trucks around here...kind of weird huh? how fast it is makes up for all the :pokinit: i put into the air  :smack:

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Aug 29, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
I love the smell of my pollutin ass 3-0 pumping out chevron premium/meth fumes...   :yumyum:

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
'94 4Runner

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:02:22 PM »
I wish I had read this post before I took the now labeled " gross polluter " 82' in for rejection. The china oriented man who did the check actually got mad because the CO level was seven times the legal limit :dunno:
It has a fresh 22r in it that I scored when I purchased the truck but the carb seems to be shot and the CAT is 25 years old. WTF needs to be done to pass this BS besides a new CAT..Thanks.. :inthedark:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:47:41 PM »
Get a new cat for sure, run some better gas, change the oil, spark plugs and such.
basically...
do a tune up, put a new cat on and hope for the best.

Bigmike have you heard anything more about cars being marked test only or gross polluter for life??
I thought it was only until you got it to pass!!
If its true thats gonna suck, cause my trucks marked as one and man was it a pain getting it to pass :(

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
'94 4Runner

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Sep 28, 2007, 12:00:26 PM »
 Yeah, I figured a new cat but its kinda weird it failed so hard on CO because I just tuned the thing along with putting new plugs+cap/rotor. The really crappy part is the mixture on the carb cant be tuned. There is no high speed mixture screw as far as I can see. As far as NOx the thing tested in prius range. Maybe float level would help if any carbed guys are out there?...or EFI conversion :  :hammer:
  Goose, as far as the gross polluter tag goes, it may as well be the scarlet letter because it will stay with your vehicle if you fail the first and second test until it's canned. There are also numerous communist oriented consequences that go along with the gross polluter tag such as taking it to a commiefornia run test station and so on.  :yikes:

In my humble opinion, I would rather take my good ol' polluter to a state run facility twice a year and wear a state mandated sticker that said GROSS POLLUTER than drive a  :stopit:hybrid :stopit
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sep 28, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Yeah, I had to take it to the Test Only referee station at Butte College's main campus.
It failed the first time, even though I had recently did a small tuneup.
A new cat, full tune-up, some alcohol in the tank full of 91 octane and some other tricks made a huge difference.
It passed the second time far below the any of the limits.
The CO's were a big problem for me too the first time, but I think the new hot Cat really cleared it up.

So does that still mean i have to go back to the Test Only Ref. in 2 years?

What if i register my truck in a county that only requires smog when you buy/sale a vehicle?
Would I STILL have to go to the Test Only Station every 2 years?
I really hope not, cause I'm trying to avoid the whole hassle again...   :confused:

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
'94 4Runner

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Sep 28, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
My trucks are registered in tuolumne county and we only have to smog when we buy/sell 
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

GreyZuk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sep 29, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
ha ha I also live in Tuolumne and my samurai passed the first time idling at 1200 rpm I never have to smog it again (read RV cam, DT headers, fun time)

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »
Hey that's really great advise. When I was 18 and I just got my MR2 running, I took it down to a random smog shop and the guy said I would have to take it to a test only station. So when I went there, it failed big time and the guy said the cat was wasted. Sure enough, that was the problem, but I had no idea that the 1st smog shop ran it and labeled it a gross polluter. But I dont mind going to test only stations though... But if I had gone there first, this would have never happened.

:twocents:

I was reading this and you say the cat was wasted..  Any EFI motor will pass with a wasted cat if everything else is good..  You can depend on a new cat to band aid some smog issues but like I said if everything is perfect a efi motor will pass no matter what the condtion of the cat is...  Also you say to run high octane fuel..  that is not needed at all and if anything could contribute to a motor not burning as cleanly as possible..  Run the least octane that you can to insure a complete burn of the fuel..  Higher octane is needed to keep detonation at bay. so if you don't have the compression or overall ignition timing to cause detonation dont use high octane... You are correct about retarding the timing, here in Ca you are allowwed +or- 2* of factory spec so go to the 2* - end of the spectrum, the biggest gain here is with the HC..  I have had countless cars that just failed with a high HC condition, retard the timing as much as possible and bang, it passed ..
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007, 02:09:46 PM by Pat »
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..