Author Topic: Scary Stuff  (Read 12445 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 410
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: Scary Stuff
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »
Hey PF, here in Cali it's not like that at all, the quarantine is voluntary, obvious by the traffic up and down the streets and the numbers of people at the stores. Mind you, the stores do regulate the traffic in the store, but when the lines outside are 50-60 spaces long( I say a space, measured out to 6 foot distances for the "social distancing") and each space has more than one person occupying that space negating the effectiveness of such metering practices. No, we're not giving up our liberties at all, we're too selfish to cooperate for our own good. Stay home, bide your time. Build a few models, take up knitting or just jack off all day, whatever it takes to come out the other end safely.

With that said, I'm typically one that thumbs his nose at anything that threatens health. This covid virus makes ne a little nervous.
Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 4134
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2020, 05:25:00 AM »

With that said, I'm typically one that thumbs his nose at anything that threatens health. This covid virus makes ne a little nervous.

Hey deucie……

Have you ever gotten a flu shot?

As you know, thumbing your nose at anything that threatens your health won’t do didley to keep you from getting sick or worse.

This pandemic may have a silver lining.  Most major causes of death in the US is directly related to DIET.  Why is this important?  Covid-19 kills more people 65 years and older.  The influenza virus kills more people 17 years and younger.

So.... hopefully an awakening will occur in the general populace that will make them look seriously at their diet.

5 years ago, in our local Fry's Market, the space allotted for displaying vegetarian and vegan food wasn’t even 10 feet.  Now it's about 30 feet.  So there must be more demand for healthier, less chemical-laced foods. Of course “organic” labelled foods are now in abundance.

Even the fast-food crapsters are getting in on it... BurgerKing has it's Impossible Burger.  By the way, it doesn't taste bad if the person that cooks the burger knows what they're doing.  McDonald’s Lightlife Burger, and Carl Jr’s Beyond Meat patty.  They "flame-broil" the meat and burnt soy tastes like BBQ'd shait!!

In New York: Covid-19 patients – Median age 63
94% - Had more than 1 disease
53% - Had hypertension
42% - Suffered from obesity
32% - Suffered from diabetes

With exception of a few less common diseases like ALS and MS, ALL of those maladies are directly related to DIET!!

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 892
  • Male Posts: 2,496
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2020, 03:26:47 PM »
IMO, no, the safety of others does not trump my rights or any one other's from running around possibly spreading the virus unknowingly, and the non respirator mask wont protect you from inhaling the virus, and at most just reduce the amount an infected person may expel when talking, but now sneezing or coughing die to the speed at which but not the speed at which both take place nor the amount of viral load each carries. 

As far as following the Gov. Newsom's orders here in CA, I haven't, and wont, and will gladly force the issue when threatened with fine/arrest, would like a nice payout by the State for violating my 1st and 14th Amend. rights. :laugh:  Plenty of small businesses here in NCA have remained open, despite being deemed nonessential, they are just not high traffic businesses.  People were protesting yesterday, even at the State capital, where the new King of CA declared we couldn't, kind of wished the police would have over reacted, this state needs a bloody civil war in the worse way.  Newsom did backtrack some on when the State would be reopened, but by Monday he may change it again.

I do/did feel a bit guilty for not wearing a mask when in a store, not for the other customers, but for the employees, as they are the ones at most risk due to the amount of people they come into contact with, but with them behind plexi-glass now, there is little risk to them.

As for the virus itself, I haven't changed my view on it, thought we over reacted when the death rate was looking too be 5-10%, of those infected, as every time we take a prescription or over the counter drug, we have an FDA accepted chance of dying of 3-5%, and even less now with the looks of it being more about 0.03-0.1% death rate at large, with 60-70% of those who come into contact with it never having any symptoms at all.  What concerned me then and still, was the government's reaction, what were they so afraid of due to what they knew/believed or were seeing with the virus and not telling us, and how State.local govs suspended the Bill of Rights and continue to do so.

The Wuhan virus is now in the community at large, and it can't be waited out, so herd immunity is now the only real way for it to burn itself out, which it will do once it reaches about 70-80% of the herd, which will also result in protecting those most at risk from being exposed to the virus.  Sweden's approach, while it started to look like the wrong approach, while they have an infection/death rate of 12%, based on the studies here in CA, their death rate may only be as high as 0.2%, possibly as low as 0.15%, only about 0.04% higher than ours using the same numbers for likely infected, and they didn't lock down at all.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Wainiha

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 625
  • Male Posts: 971
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
I'm Ok with the masks but not the curfew.  People have to work or some will run out of money for food and bills.  Kauai is still pretty good right now.  Only 16 cases.  They are still letting tourists in though!  STUPID!
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2020, 05:19:49 PM »
I'm Ok with the masks but not the curfew.  People have to work or some will run out of money for food and bills.  Kauai is still pretty good right now.  Only 16 cases.  They are still letting tourists in though!  STUPID!
Shows their hypocrisy, either the virus is an issue or it isn't, can't be an issue requiring curfews be put in place yet not when it comes to tourism. 

Hawaii has only had 16 deaths, which puts their likely death to actual infection rate about 0.05%, about the same as CA's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2020, 06:11:10 AM »
The scary stuff gets more scary....

These so-called expert scientists may not know didley!

I just read this in Arizona's AZ Central Coronavirus Watch...

"Question: How reliable are antibody tests?

Researchers have raised many questions about the accuracy of antibody, or serology, tests.

Dr. Greg Poland, director of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group, said he's concerned about the tests giving false positives. A false positive result could mean a test detected antibodies developed from exposure to other coronaviruses, not COVID-19.

Another issue is that testing positive for the presence of antibodies doesn't mean you have enough antibodies to be immune. Researchers don't know how many antibodies would confer immunity, assuming it does.

The World Health Organization issued a warning saying that antibody tests "need further validation to determine their accuracy and reliability."
"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection," the statement said.:

Gnarls.  :yikes:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

PuertoFrito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Baby Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »

I live underneath the landing trajectory for the airport in San Juan and air traffic sounds about the same. It wasn't until last week they started testing arrivals but I have no idea how they're enforcing quarantine for those that are positive. There are huge communities of puertoriquenos in NY, NJ, and FL. Most likely coming back to be with family/infect them.

People are getting arrested here for surfing (but it's ok to be inside a crowded grocery store) but they wouldn't dare lay hands on a tourist violating the current restrictions.
Could be bad, but it ain't.

PuertoFrito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
Hey PF, here in Cali it's not like that at all, the quarantine is voluntary,

Gotcha, I thought it was more strict there at the beginning, my girlfriends sister is studying in San Diego

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
Gotcha, I thought it was more strict there at the beginning, my girlfriends sister is studying in San Diego
The quarantine hasn't been strictly enforced, but they have arrested surfers and others for violating it, and threatening/citing those deemed mom essemtial business owners who violate it.  With the push by the population to reopen, we will see just how forceful our Gov will want to be.

sirdeuce

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2020, 02:13:03 PM »
The quarantine hasn't been strictly enforced, but they have arrested surfers and others for violating it, and threatening/citing those deemed mom essemtial business owners who violate it.  With the push by the population to reopen, we will see just how forceful our Gov will want to be.

Funny what is considered essential for businesses. I see stores open that, in my opinion, are definitely NOT essential, like comic book, antique, sporting goods, music/musician stores. In my eyes, 'essential' means 'what is necessary to survive'. Things that are for entertainment are not 'essential'. But in this world, with these people, entertainment is more important than food.

sirdeuce

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
Now they're saying, as I've said before, the next viral wave will be worse. People will believe all is clear when they lift the quarantine and go out to "catch up" on all they feel they've lost out on and the virus will still be around celebrating with the rest of them.

There's a town in the U.K. called Mold. Wonder where that name came from?

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
Funny what is considered essential for businesses. I see stores open that, in my opinion, are definitely NOT essential, like comic book, antique, sporting goods, music/musician stores. In my eyes, 'essential' means 'what is necessary to survive'. Things that are for entertainment are not 'essential'. But in this world, with these people, entertainment is more important than food.

Problem is, when your income is tied to providing entertainemnt/music/sporting goods/hair cuts/yardwork/pool cleaning/etc, your business is essentiual for your survival. Also, "Necessary to survive" would exclude autoparts stores, service shops, liquor stores, restaraunts/fast food, hardware stores, UPS/delivery companies, etc., as all you need is food and prescription drugs, so really we only need grocery stores, pharmacies, their delivery systems, and gas stations opened.

Now they're saying, as I've said before, the next viral wave will be worse. People will believe all is clear when they lift the quarantine and go out to "catch up" on all they feel they've lost out on and the virus will still be around celebrating with the rest of them.

The stay-at-home/shutter non essential businesses, wasn't supposed to keep us safe from the virus, it was supposed to slow the spread and prevent the collapse of hospital services, which is what it did.  The shutting down was out of fear that everywhere we would be like like Italy, which only NY/NYC and NJ were/are, most of the rest of the country, even in cities like New Orleans that held Mardi Gras, and States like FL that allowed Spring break, did not have the issues that NY?NJ have had.

In reality, we really don't have a choice but to take the risk of another possible outbreak, the virus is in the population, there is no vaccine for it, and the herd immunity approach is really the only way to get it to burn itself out.  We know who is at most risk of dying from this, most of them have 1 or more health issues that have a higher probablity of killing them than the virus does, for example, the current risk of death for covid is 0.021%(deaths/ttl pop), the risk of death of heart disease which is one of the comorbiditiesw/wuhan is ‬0.15%, or 73 times as much.  Those most at risk need to be overly precautious, the rest of us just need to practice good hygiene and roll the dice, just as we used to do everyday getting out of bed and going about our days before the virus arrived. 

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2020, 05:24:41 AM »
We are getting forked by the virus.... an a-political killing entity.

BUT... we are getting more forked by our government.... a political entity.

Deductive reasoning:  political entities are more dangerous and kill more.

Gnarls.  :gap:

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Now you're starting to get the picture....
hold this. . .

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 23749
  • Male Posts: 2,914
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »
So.... hopefully an awakening will occur in the general populace that will make them look seriously at their diet.

5 years ago, in our local Fry's Market, the space allotted for displaying vegetarian and vegan food wasn’t even 10 feet.  Now it's about 30 feet.  So there must be more demand for healthier, less chemical-laced foods. Of course “organic” labelled foods are now in abundance.

Even the fast-food crapsters are getting in on it... BurgerKing has it's Impossible Burger.  By the way, it doesn't taste bad if the person that cooks the burger knows what they're doing.  McDonald’s Lightlife Burger, and Carl Jr’s Beyond Meat patty.  They "flame-broil" the meat and burnt soy tastes like BBQ'd shait!!

In New York: Covid-19 patients – Median age 63
94% - Had more than 1 disease
53% - Had hypertension
42% - Suffered from obesity
32% - Suffered from diabetes

Vegans and vegetarians suffer from the same above diseases, and a past study has shown that while vegetarians suffer from less heart disease, they just exchanged heart disease for a higher risk of stroke, not to mention suffer from a higher risk of bodily injury for their smugness.:laugh:  Also, trhere is nothing healthy about eating an "Impossible Burger" or any of its vegie predecessors or current counterparts, it, like the Whopper, is nothing more than processed food, and it is processed food, that is the real cause of heart disease, obesity, type II diabetes, diet related hypertension, etc.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2020, 05:19:13 PM »
Check the Southpark episode about impossible meat.
hold this. . .

sirdeuce

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Vegans and vegetarians suffer from the same above diseases, and a past study has shown that while vegetarians suffer from less heart disease, they just exchanged heart disease for a higher risk of stroke, not to mention suffer from a higher risk of bodily injury for their smugness.:laugh:  Also, trhere is nothing healthy about eating an "Impossible Burger" or any of its vegie predecessors or current counterparts, it, like the Whopper, is nothing more than processed food, and it is processed food, that is the real cause of heart disease, obesity, type II diabetes, diet related hypertension, etc.

Carnivore, or vegan, or anything in between is based on habitat and practice. Your genetic code dictates what is needed for your body. Basically, if you want the best diet for you, you need to know what your ancestors main diet was. Not just the last few generations. You need to go back a lot further. For the people that have vast diversity in their DNA it doesn't matter as much, but let's say you are a pure Mongolian, Meat needs to be the mainstay in your diet. A primary ancestry of, say Incan or Mayan would rely on a primarily grain diet, and most East Asian peeps do best with certain grains. European and U.K.  had high fat diets. So really, just going by a high protein or vegetable diet may or may not be advisable.

PuertoFrito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

X2

I can’t contribute to any specific studies but there’s a really cool book called Born to Run that is worth a read even if you don’t partake in physical fitness. However there is a brief story in it that claims one ultra-runners preferred mid race snack is a slice of pizza and soda. A lot of your well being is created in the mind. Not saying it’s healthy, but for that person they perform better with pizza/soda than say a Clif bar
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:44:03 PM by PuertoFrito »

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 23749
  • Male Posts: 2,914
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2020, 07:04:49 PM »
I've never had a fast food burger...
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »

S…

In my old crotchety self, my first reaction to your ignorant post was to rip you a new one.

As far “smugness”…. You are the epidemy of that, and you know it.

I’m familiar with the article that I think you are referring to.  You obviously didn't read it.

Believe whatever you want.  Eat whatever you want.  I don’t care.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:53:43 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
I've never had a fast food burger...

O... you will probably live to be 100 years old.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »
Carnivore, or vegan, or anything in between is based on habitat and practice. Your genetic code dictates what is needed for your body. Basically, if you want the best diet for you, you need to know what your ancestors main diet was. Not just the last few generations. You need to go back a lot further. For the people that have vast diversity in their DNA it doesn't matter as much, but let's say you are a pure Mongolian, Meat needs to be the mainstay in your diet. A primary ancestry of, say Incan or Mayan would rely on a primarily grain diet, and most East Asian peeps do best with certain grains. European and U.K.  had high fat diets. So really, just going by a high protein or vegetable diet may or may not be advisable.

duecie,

I have no idea where you get primary ancestry DNA and diet.

What the fork do you know about genetic code?

To quote Adam Rutherford:

“Genetics is a probabilistic science, and there are no genes “for” anything in particular.”

And what the fork is “habitat and practice”!

Everyone lives and dies the way they want.  It is a personal choice.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

Gnarls.  :beerchug:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2020, 02:16:32 AM »
Your genetic code dictates what is needed for your body. Basically, if you want the best diet for you, you need to know what your ancestors main diet was.

Here deucie… Ponder on this $8Million waste of your taxes.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/matching-dna-to-a-diet-does-not-work/

Gnarls.  :gap:

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2020, 05:06:20 AM »
What the fork do you know about genetic code?

To quote Adam Rutherford:

“Genetics is a probabilistic science, and there are no genes “for” anything in particular.”

Um, yes there are. Let's hear what you know about genetic code :biggthumpup:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
Um, yes there are. Let's hear what you know about genetic code :biggthumpup:

Hey Lewis....

I've done my research and studies.... you'd be better off doing your own.  :blah:

Gnarls  :gap:

PuertoFrito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »
Definitely too many variables to say what’s the “best” diet. “Healthy” people die of heart attacks in their 20’s. My grandpa could probably outwork most 20 year olds but he died from a STEMI two years ago at 77. Ate right, hadn’t touched alcohol in over 40 years, seldom missed a day of work even while “retired”. People will respond differently to the same inputs. Some handle clotting better, the ability to fight infection, others are less able to manage stress :blah: 

Gnarls, If I read correctly that study only lasted 12 months and used extreme examples (overweight). It claims they were compliant but to what extent? Fat consumption down 50-87 grams per day, how was their “normal” daily amount measured? My guess at what an ancestral diet might look like would be what some refer to as Paleo, which would include most of what one of the groups was instructed to reduce  “(eat less oils, fatty meats, full-fat dairy, and nuts)”

Wainiha

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 625
  • Male Posts: 971
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2020, 01:28:35 AM »
Eat good food, drink lots of water.  Oh and drink lots of whiskey.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2020, 04:31:58 AM »
Eat good food, drink lots of water.  Oh and drink lots of whiskey.

Geezzz…… I miss my Jim Beam and Sprite!!!  :sad2:

Gnarls.  :beerchug: