Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392661 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #120 on: Jul 15, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
I've used remflex gaskets several times with great success. I would definitely recommend them when your having trouble getting a seal.  With a new lce header I would and do go with a factory Toyota graphite gasket and save the remflex for a warped header/manifold situation. :twocents:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Jul 15, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
Factory manifold is actually a decent design on the 22re's. I'd buy a header but my future plans include a turbo so I don't see the point. Gnarly, number 4 piston is the one that blew a hole in my block and I'm pretty sure it bent a few valves. WHich of course I didn't check so now I get to pull the head off again. 3rd times the charm they say though!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
Hi k,

No.  You can call me Nate or you can call me kneedownnate, but do not call me k.  Sorry to rant, but this is just lazy or trendy, and I don't need competition in either!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
I've ran both, honestly could not feel a seat of the pants difference.

I've run a nwor tri-y (basically looks to be a thorley) and a generic long tube 4 into 1 for several years each.  The generic had a paper thing flange that leaked like a sieve but had great torque from around 500 rpm up when coupled with my 2.5" tubing - no cat.  I lost the bottom end grunt when I changed to 2.25", but every thread in every forum says 2.5 is too big so I must be wrong...  The nwor is built much, much better, but I've never been able to tune to it decently, though it will rev to the moon.  I partially blame my cam.

I now have the nwor, lce and downey headers and like certain aspects of each.  I feel each are well built and are likely about the same performance-wise, but am going to run the lce to see what difference making only that change will make, if any, though I am going to swap from the crap-tastic weber carb to a 22r carb.  Hopefully the carb change will not affect anything, which it shouldn't being they're within 1 cfm of each other. 

End thread jack  :burnout:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Jul 15, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »
 :twocents:
I also ran the nwof header and was very impressed with the quality and performance.
noticeable difference in power and power band.
They are expensive or I would have one on this truck. It came with a pace setter header. all top end power with the pace setter. poor quality. reminds me of the old cheap headman headers.  :reg:
I also had the lce header on my  two wheel drive 22re truck. It is hard to compare 4x4 vs 4x2 but My lce header was again all top end power. the nwor header had a deffenant advantage at low rpm pull.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #125 on: Jul 16, 2016, 04:41:48 AM »
They have a 50% crush rate, 100% graphite and no re-torque needed

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk 

Yes, Remflex gets great reviews and I only read one bad review.

The fact that it "crushes" may be what causes it to leak... but I have no idea how someone uses the gasket, what gasket sealer they may use, or the condition of the header, the exhaust manifold, so I read posts and statements with some degree of skepticism.  One thing I have learned from being on these public "auto" forums since 1999 is there is a wide range of knowledge, experience, and Bravo Sierra.

Regarding retorquing header nuts.... If you don't check the header on a 22, and keep it properly seated against the exhaust ports, regardless of what gasket you use, it will tend to leak.  All three of my Toy truck with 22s have leaked at the exhaust. 

In my experience there's a tendency, over time, for the studs inside the head to corrode, powder, and spin. The different coefficient of expansion between the alloy head and the hardened steel studs causes this. The self-locking factory nuts cause too much torque on the small number of threads inside the soft head when torquing them.  I've posted this before.... I don't use the stock factory self-locking nuts.

I use a lock washer, hex nut, and hex jam nut.  I use red Loctite on the head threads, and anti-seize on the header threads.

I will check and retorque the nuts after an install 30 minutes after firing the engine. I will check them again around 50 miles and 200 miles.  If they are tight after around 200. I will check them again at around my 3K mile oil change.

That's just my worthless opinion.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2016, 05:08:26 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #126 on: Jul 16, 2016, 05:25:41 AM »
No.  You can call me Nate or you can call me kneedownnate, but do not call me k.  Sorry to rant, but this is just lazy or trendy, and I don't need competition in either!

OK, Nate it is....

Yes, I use just the first letter of the forum name not because I'm lazy or have any need to be "trendy", but just to shorten my keyboard strokes and not spell it wrong.  Textual communications and conceptual semantics is an interesting topic, but I always respect how someone likes to be addressed.

Gnarls.  :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #127 on: Jul 16, 2016, 05:34:34 AM »
Geezz.. I have not read any comments about NWOR or Downey in years!  I didn't even know they still exist.

I like LCE's quality and the 1/2" main flange. DT's quality, or lack of, has always been a point in discussions.

As I mentioned, unless or until I can see a certified dyno test comparing an LCE and a DT header, the difference is mostly speculation and opinion to me.  I have my own experience to go by, but its still just opinion.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #128 on: Jul 16, 2016, 05:42:08 AM »
... WHich of course I didn't check so now I get to pull the head off again. 3rd times the charm they say though!

Mudder, Mudder, Mudder.... shame on you!  I'll give you a little knuckle bump for admitting it here on the forum, but don't let it happen again.  :lipsrsealed:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #129 on: Jul 16, 2016, 06:30:24 AM »
...... though I am going to swap from the crap-tastic weber carb to a 22r carb.  Hopefully the carb change will not affect anything, which it shouldn't being they're within 1 cfm of each other. 

Really? You don't think you will notice any difference between a Weber and Aisin 22R carb?  :conf:

Gnarls. :spin:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #130 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
I've ran both, honestly could not feel a seat of the pants difference.

Hi redneckcustoms13,

I re-read your post.  Are you saying that you could NOT tell any difference between the LCE and DT, or that you could not tell any difference between the LCE & DT and the stock exhaust manifold?

Thanks,

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #131 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
:twocents:
... but My lce header was again all top end power...

This is what I have read about from the guys who have run the LCE header - that is seems to move the HP number up in the RPM range, and that it is weaker on the lower RPM range for torque, compared to the tri-y DT?   

Since I've only run the DT headers on my 2 other 22s, I'll try the LCE header just to get some idea, but with a rebuild, 261C cam profile and OS valves, I will not have anything to compare it to directly.  Once I get the engine broken in, tuned, and replenish my Toy piggy bank, I'm going to take it in to Chuck's Speed Center in Phoenix, and have them chassis dyno it.  If I could easily and with a donation from Doug Thorley, I'd switch the header and run another test with the DT header. 

I am going to call Doug Thorley on Monday am and see if anyone will talk to me about any dyno testing they'v done.

I may still do another dyno test with a different cam since I'll have a really fresh engine.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #132 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
I haven't torqued my header since i installed it 2 years ago, and there's no sign of needing to. I did however use high temp thread locker on the studs and nuts..
If you go with remflex, there's no gasket sealer needed. These gaskets simply mold themselves into all the crevices on the head and header.
I like your idea of a lock washer, nut and jam nut. If i ever have to replace these, I'll probably go that route.

About not torquing the header since install: I've checked it with a torque wrench about a week after, then a month.. but every time, no spinning, just clicking.
$0.02

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #133 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »
I haven't torqued my header since i installed it 2 years ago, and there's no sign of needing to. I did however use high temp thread locker on the studs and nuts..
If you go with remflex, there's no gasket sealer needed. These gaskets simply mold themselves into all the crevices on the head and header.
I like your idea of a lock washer, nut and jam nut. If i ever have to replace these, I'll probably go that route.

About not torquing the header since install: I've checked it with a torque wrench about a week after, then a month.. but every time, no spinning, just clicking.
$0.02

OK, excabswap... you are another great testimonial for Remflex.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #134 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »
Ok I'll quit preachin haha...
But the second you hold a remflex sample in one hand, and the gasket included with the header in the other...
I dunno, ENGNBLDR recommended it when i was at his shop, so there's another advocate.
Ok I'll keep quiet about it now haha

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #135 on: Jul 16, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
Ok I'll quit preachin haha...
But the second you hold a remflex sample in one hand, and the gasket included with the header in the other...
I dunno, ENGNBLDR recommended it when i was at his shop, so there's another advocate.
Ok I'll keep quiet about it now haha

Preaching is a good thing as long as you are preaching from the right Bible.   :biggthumpup:

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching."

~ Mahatma Gandhi

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2016, 10:19:21 AM by Gnarly4X »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Jul 16, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I haven't torqued my header since i installed it 2 years ago, and there's no sign of needing to

Same here, factory toyota gasket, 7-8 years.
RIP KYOTA

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #137 on: Jul 18, 2016, 04:34:00 AM »
Does this get a gasket or some type of sealer?

I believe this is an oil pressure sensor near the oil filter.

I don't see any gaskets in my "Master Kit" that will fit this sensor?  :-\

Any help will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016, 04:39:38 AM by Gnarly4X »

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Jul 18, 2016, 05:33:02 AM »
Does this get a gasket or some type of sealer?

I believe this is an oil pressure sensor near the oil filter.

I don't see any gaskets in my "Master Kit" that will fit this sensor?  :-\

Any help will be appreciated.

I would imagine either an o-ring or metal gasket/washer.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #139 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06:06:40 AM »
I would imagine either an o-ring or metal gasket/washer.

Hi SqWADoosh,

Thanks for your input.

Yeah... I was thinking a copper ring gasket, but I don't have anything in my kit that will fit.  If it's an oil pressure sensor I would think there needs to be a very tight fit.

MY LESSON... is that when I was removing all these sensors and plugs, I should have documented if they had gaskets and what kind, AND photographed or video recorded these parts on the engine!!  I screwed up on that!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06:17:08 AM »
Hi SqWADoosh,

Thanks for your input.

Yeah... I was thinking a copper ring gasket, but I don't have anything in my kit that will fit.  If it's an oil pressure sensor I would think there needs to be a very tight fit.

MY LESSON... is that when I was removing all these sensors and plugs, I should have documented if they had gaskets and what kind, AND photographed or video recorded these parts on the engine!!  I screwed up on that!

After looking at this: http://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-3VZ-OE-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Sender-1985-1992-SR-p/1067005.htm

I don't think it does get any kind of seal/gasket. If it did then they would include it with the gauge just like they do everything else. I also couldn't find anything with a quick google search.

I did find this thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91179.0 BigMike would have mentioned the possibility of a bad o-ring/gasket when troubleshooting for the guy if there was one. You'll notice he did not.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
I have a 22re sitting in the garage, just took a look. I can confirm there is no o ring or metal gasket. IIRC I just used some liquid thread sealant  :thumbs:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06:44:41 AM »
Gnarly, that's your knock sensor. OPS should be below the oil filter mount and it's more of a spade terminal

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #143 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:08:24 AM »
Gnarly, that's your knock sensor. OPS should be below the oil filter mount and it's more of a spade terminal

Hey Mudder.... yes!  The FSM indicates an oil pressure sensor!!  :shake:... after I posted this morning, I was thinking... isn't there a knock sensor???  :suprised:  Yes, the oil pressure sensor is the round black thing, where on my other trucks I installed a fitting, plastic tubing and a manual oil pressure AutoMeter Oil Pressure gauge.

Thanks for clarifying.  One or two of my old 68 brain cells sometimes misfire.   ;)

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #144 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
I have a 22re sitting in the garage, just took a look. I can confirm there is no o ring or metal gasket. IIRC I just used some liquid thread sealant  :thumbs:

Hey ovrarok,

Thanks for checking.  I figured one or more of you DIYers would know.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #145 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:12:48 AM »
After looking at this: http://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-3VZ-OE-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Sender-1985-1992-SR-p/1067005.htm

I don't think it does get any kind of seal/gasket. If it did then they would include it with the gauge just like they do everything else. I also couldn't find anything with a quick google search.

I did find this thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91179.0 BigMike would have mentioned the possibility of a bad o-ring/gasket when troubleshooting for the guy if there was one. You'll notice he did not.

Hey SqWADoosh,

You guys are too awesome!!  :biggthumpup:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #146 on: Jul 23, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
7-23 Update:

I've had a delay on moving forward for the past week.

I'm going to try to have this engine ready to drop into the engine bay by tomorrow.

I will have to install the throttle body after I lay the wiring harness, etc, onto the engine after its sitting on the frame motor mounts.

I want to clean the engine bay up before I drop it in.

Are there any hot tips anyone wants to share before I finish bolting what I can on?

Thanks,

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 12:12:39 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #147 on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »
Do you guys have any comments on the Toyota factory hose clamps?

I'm planning on replacing the factory clamps with the common stainless steel screw type.

But since several of the metal nipple tubes are rusted, I have to be careful not over clamp the hoses and crush them.  :yikes:

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Jul 23, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
I run a mix of both clamps. All I'll say is with the screw type make sure to tighten them down after installing everything! That way if you can't get to it now you can fix it.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #149 on: Jul 23, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
I run a mix of both clamps. All I'll say is with the screw type make sure to tighten them down after installing everything! That way if you can't get to it now you can fix it.

Hi Mudder,

Very good point!

Yes.... I am concerned about being able to get to some of those hose with a screw clamp.  I'm thinking that it will be a good idea to make sure to get the screw clamps with the hex heads so if I had trouble getting to it I could snake a little 1/4" drive flex extension & socket to it.