Author Topic: Medical Road Trip/Prayer Request Etc...  (Read 21942 times)

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2649
  • Male Posts: 2,662
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Medical Road Trip/Prayer Request Etc...
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
Around 5:45 this morning.
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 451
  • Male Posts: 3,501
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
Hey man I just tried to donate and its giving me an error saying there is a problem with your account? Also I'm going to share this on my club's Facebook and a couple other places to help drum up donations. So get this sorted ASAP so we can get you guys the money you need to get that kiddo healthy again!

So far it seems to be working all right as far as I know but I will check it out.  Might be some internet related problem server blah blah whatever thing.  Thanks for getting it broadcasted I sure appreciate it!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
I just went on and went to donate and got to the payment portion where you enter a card number and all that.  Seems to be working.

Thanks for this really.  You know you should leave in your comments that he has to come wheeling with you guys then he will be obligated to go over there and play all the time :).  I picked up a free 22re we can slap in his 4runner.  I plan to get it in there while he is gone for two weeks to surprise him with a running rig when he gets back...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:25:08 AM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1039
  • Male Posts: 1,257
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.prisonplanet.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
I have a 13 (almost 14) year old son named Kaleb, and we opted out of the vaccines that were required for 7th-8th grade.. so glad we did because he gets migraines now and then and from what you are saying that could have triggered similar so that really hits home. I am praying for your son. Its painful to see little ones suffer :(

Thanks for all the updates.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 957
  • Male Posts: 1,605
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »
I was able to get through at 4:15 am. Maybe all the payment transactions are crashing the system?  :yesnod:
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10683
  • Male Posts: 2,413
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
Just got through to donate finally. I posted on my personal page as well as the club page. Going to share on some local wheeling group pages as well. Hope this helps the donations roll in, brother.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »
Thanks so much guys!

I have never really seen this kind of fund raising before this.  It's pretty sweet because if everybody does a little it provides for peoples needs real fast.  Obviously we would gladly sell off everything we own to get him help, but this makes it so we don't have to sleep under the bridge when we get to the other end of this.

When we get done with this junk I am going to start going on that site every payday and helping somebody somewhere with medical expenses, even if it can only be a little bit.
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »
Scheduled to send Caleb and Kelly down to Texas on June 27!

We are easing him off of the Propranolol our cardio guy had him on and his chest pain is slowly subsiding at the same time.  This has been one of his most alarming symptoms ant it would seem it was actually a side effect of the medication. Funny how nothing normal will work on him.
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jun 10, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
We are all set up for Caleb to go down to Dallas at the end of June.  His condition is pretty much the same but maybe a bit more stabilized.  Some buddies and I will be slapping his Toyota together for him as a surprise for when he gets back.  Here is the thread:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100634.0

Thanks for all the support, financial, housing, got yer backs, pulling for ya's and prayers.

It was great to meet some of the PNW crew when we were in Seattle.  We will be playing with you guys in the future for sure.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 10:08:18 AM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jun 14, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
We are headed down to Butte, MT Thursday at the request of one of our Doctors, the naturopath/doctor guy who has made a little progress in stabilizing Caleb's condition.  The treatment is called UVB/Ozone Therapy.  I don't quite understand how it works but they remove a little blood, do something to it and then it goes back in.  Somehow this boosts the immune system, detoxifies and makes you feel better all at the same time. This is one of those odd things that does damage control after you get spun out from a vaccine.

Feels good to be doing something other than sitting on our heads while we wait to go to Dallas.  That by the way is pretty much in the bag thanks to everyone's support.  We even ended up with free airplane tickets for Mom and Caleb which helped take up the slack.

We brought the horses home this weekend and Caleb got to get on our old guy, Buddy who is something like 28 years old.  He has been Caleb's horse for most of Caleb's life and took great care while he hung out on his back.  My wife sent me pictures to post.

He then apparently made out with his philly, "Baby Cookie".  Whatever makes you happy dude.  Horse lips, ewe.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016, 03:35:07 PM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jun 29, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Wife and boys are down in Dallas.  Caleb started therapy yesterday.  Numbers/readings look favorable and they expect good results.

They say it's hot down there.
Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #71 on: Jun 29, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
That good news. I hope the good new continues to come in.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
So Caleb called me up this morning from Dallas and he was able to take about 5 steps today before getting woozy.  This may not seem like much but he hasn't been able to get upright at all for the last 3 months without loosing consciousness.

So apparently things are working down there.
Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 3814
  • Male Posts: 3,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #73 on: Jul 01, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
So Caleb called me up this morning from Dallas and he was able to take about 5 steps today before getting woozy.  This may not seem like much but he hasn't been able to get upright at all for the last 3 months without loosing consciousness.

So apparently things are working down there.

Good news!

Please tell Caleb that healing thoughts and prayers are still coming his way!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Caleb got back from Dallas Saturday afternoon.  He has WAY more energy.  Still tough for him to get up on his feet but easier than it used to be.  He will continue the therapy for how ever long it takes.  We are told we should expect more improvement at home over time and he should gradually get well enough to function normally.  Maybe weeks, maybe months we don't know.

We go see a few more people in Kalispell on the 25th, 26th for a bit more testing referred from other doctors but I think we are already doing what will make the difference.
Steve McQueen

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Jul 13, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »
Sending prayer your way.. I always enjoyed your pictures and "truck build" updates.
You have an awesome family.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jul 29, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
We had been trying to establish some local neuro, cardio and GI people that aren't hosers and I think we have finally done it.  After the swirly twirly vortex of referrals we ended up being asked by our current primary physician to go see some folks in Kalispell, MT about 5 hours away.  They were able to co-ordinate 3 appointments including some extensive image and diagnostics of Caleb's heart as well as a colonoscopy and endoscopy inside of 2 days. 

Another bonus is that there is a trail over there :).  We scouted it a bit an all took turns driving before coming home yesterday. This qualifies as exercise for Caleb as it works his legs, arms, heart and takes focus.

The cardiologist, who is this chick that must be in here late 20s, even finally put a "Holter Monitor" on him.  We have been trying to get that for months!

The neurologist prescribed some kind of anti-depressant which should, in theory help his constant headaches and may help with his nervous system healing itself.  I am not thrilled about trying a new drug as we have had nothing but bad effects but we will run it a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Anyway nothing turned up bad, his heart looks good structurally, pumps good volume and is ""really squeezy" according to the really young cardiologist.  His guts are a little roughed up from being constipated but nothing to be concerned about.  Neurologist got good response from him in general although his feet are a little numb in spots.  He did not think there was anything to be concerned about there and had hope of a good but very slow recovery of hos nervous system.  There is nothing in his brain or on his spine that would cause any of this.

This is all great but puts us right back to the autonomic nervous system disorder triggered by the meningitis vaccine.  There is no real quicky treatment for this other than what we are doing all ready. Some people recover from this kind of thing and some not so much.  At this point it's up to Caleb staying on task with therapy and God to heal him.  I have a feeling this is going to be like our house where whenever we beat or heads on the wall trying to make things happen, nothing happens, then when we give it to God everything falls into place. I have a tougher time with faith in this situation than with our house project.  I feel like I need to be making something happen but we are doing all we can I guess.

So at this point the therapy we have him on is making good numbers.  His blood pressure now stays stable when he stands up, but he still nearly blacks out after a few seconds.  He is still struggling with his guts not working right and getting plugged up every few weeks.  We have some good days and some bad.

So thank you guys for the help, thoughts and prayers.  Please keep them coming.

I will update more as things happen.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016, 11:07:40 AM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Jul 29, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
OK I've been too busy wallowing in self pity over this stuff with Caleb to see things clearly but as I sit here and think about how this has all played out I have to use the opportunity to brag about my God.  If anybody isn't into this just tune out, I don't mean to offend.  I have no idea why Caleb and the rest of us are going through this thing, but I have seen hardships of all kinds, bend, mold and shape people for purpose.  I have to believe there is a purpose in all this.

Our house project was a huge faith building experience, literally the entire thing from loosing the old house to having basically all the materials dumped on our heads without hardly any money spent.  We wanted to change our lives there in regards to how we handled our finances.  We gave this situation to God and holy %$#!, what a ride that was! Now we are blessed with a paid for home in an ideal setting and a life style that doesn't create hardly any bills.  More importantly we don't have to make choices based solely on our financial burdens and expectations.  You can't serve God and money at the same time and we no longer have to serve money.  This in theory allows us to bless other people more with our time and resources.

I think though that God is not done with us yet.  I have always had a hard time looking at kids with disabilities and people who can't really get around.  I don't know why, I guess as a father you don't want to go there.  It's not that you aren't compassionate, it's just that it's easier not to reach out to people with these kind of problems because you don't want to think about it happening to you and yours. You want to be able to provide for your family and your kids are healthy so you just don't think about all the bad circumstances that other people might be in.  Sometime you even look down on them because they can't do for themselves.  I can tell you that that has sure changed for our family in the recent past.

Anyway what I really want to put out here is in all this trial God has provided through excellent people and weird circumstances total financial provision for this entire thing with Caleb.  When I add it up this year, travel, lodging, the treatment in Dallas and other expenses have been probably around $20K, and this hasn't even touched our household budget!

It's not like we are ever rolling in it, but every mile, meal and anything insurance won't cover has been there when we have needed it.  Not extra, just exactly what we need when we need it.  We needed a place to stay in Seattle and Hellipilot hooked us up with an awesome beach house. It even felt like we had some people over there.  Got to have burgers with him, zippo and that poor jeep guy Drew :).  I was able to check out his 4runner which made me feel all OK about life. This stuff was just huge. 

Second trip to Seattle our church took some kind of special offering for us and it covered the whole thing!

The Dallas trip was provided for by everybody through gofundme and people at church just throwing cash at us.  We even had contacts through friends down there that helped my wife find her way around and get in and out of the airport.  A church in Dallas bought her hotel for the entire two weeks!  It's been really cool seeing the church do what the church is supposed to do.  Pretty humbling too.

Even Caleb's pickup came together easy.  We were blessed with a shop and help, a mystery 22re that happened to run when we needed it to, and what parts he didn't have were sent to us.  This may seem like no big deal but it shows that God "gives us the desires of our hearts". This pickup has been a real blessing to Caleb and has put a bit of adventure back in his life.

Now this week we had to make this trip to Kalispell, MT, not as far but we were tapped out so it might as well have been Louisiana.  A friend of a friend over there that has been praying for Caleb was running a bible camp or something so they weren't going to be at home.  They let us use their incredible house for three days! We were going to be short on funds for the gas and food but at the last minute another friend made good on about $300 worth of hay they owed us so this freed up what we needed to make the trip.

So yes, God is good, all the time.  Even through all this stuff as our hearts are torched, welded and hammered into shape to be more like Him, we are provided for along the way.  I have no doubt that whatever our needs are in the future will be taken care of completely. Now if I can just get my head screwed on enough to realize that God can help my son too.  This has been a little tougher to keep faithful in and I would ask for prayer in this.  My faith is small and I need more.

I only hope we can turn out as well as all the folks who have blessed us, prayed for us and taken care of us during this time.  It will be a real honor if we can ever help people in the same way one day.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016, 03:14:25 PM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jul 29, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »
Good to hear you guys got to do a bit of wheeling! Specially Caleb! How's his truck coming?

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jul 29, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
I still have to do something with the pitman arm and it has no shocks yet but the thing wheels like a masterpiece!  He is really enjoying it.  He is constantly telling me how much cooler it is than my 4runner.  We are going to try to get it on the road so he can wheel other places than the homestead.
Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #80 on: Jul 29, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
"So yes, God is good, all the time.."   :best:

A very moving and uplifing testimonial.  :)

Matthew 7:12 . So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Aug 17, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »
Caleb has had some improvement but still can't stand up without getting all woozy and passing out.  He has more clarity of mind all around and better appetite.  He get's blurred vision quite a bit when his blood pressure wigs out these days.

He has been driving his Toyota more.  He can swim in the creek with the warm weather.  Caleb and his brother have been developing a technique where they hang out in the water and stay still, then when the trout get used to them they catch them by sticking their fingers in their mouths and gills.  Pretty cool.

So after all the testing and treatment so far everyone involved is trying to send him up to Mayo in Rochester.  We couldn't get there last time due to insurance and referral problems but now he is apparently interesting enough that everyone is trying to make this happen.  They do what we have all ready been doing, but more intense and with a lot more diagnostics going on.  He would go over sometime in November.  They are confident they can get him walking again, which would be huge.

So if I can get anyone willing to pray about this if this next trip is God's will that it will be possible and provided for, and for healing in general.  We have no funds for it but that hasn't been a problem so far, so I'm not real worried about that.  It's all just a lot to plan for.

Thanks!

Here is a pic of Caleb and dog "Minnie Pearl" taking a break on the Madison River on our trip last weekend.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2016, 12:05:34 PM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #82 on: Aug 19, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
While walking my little girl Princess this morning, we said a prayer for you, your family, and Caleb.  :)

Gnarls.

Auggydog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Aug 19, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
 ;)Best wishes to your son,wife and I will be praying for him.Wish I lived on your route,would love to help pug with expencesses,and moral support.
Drive slow and safe,

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1420
  • Male Posts: 22,622
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #84 on: Aug 19, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks so much guys!

I have never really seen this kind of fund raising before this.  It's pretty sweet because if everybody does a little it provides for peoples needs real fast.  Obviously we would gladly sell off everything we own to get him help, but this makes it so we don't have to sleep under the bridge when we get to the other end of this.

When we get done with this junk I am going to start going on that site every payday and helping somebody somewhere with medical expenses, even if it can only be a little bit.

I don't think gofundme was around when my dad passed away but the Marlin forum got word and we were blessed with enough to get him buried.   continued prayers for Caleb
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Aug 22, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
A friend handed me an enveloped with $500 in it yesterday. He didn't even know we had another trip coming he just said he felt lead to bless us with it.   We started the Mayo trip jar with it.  I guess the door is creaking open...
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Aug 22, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
If he goes he and my wife will be over in MN for something like 6 weeks starting towards the end of November.  I guess my younger son and I will have some serious firewood, hunting and Toyota building time on our hands.
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »
I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I should. Thankfully your gofundme page is still allowing donations even with it's particular goal being met. Time to start a Mayo fundme. I wish you and your family the best. Take care.

Chris

Thanks Chris!  I should start one up or freshen up that page.  Kind of hard to get started making a plan for another trip.  We are tired...

This week I am tidying up a few things on the 4runner to get it ready for Kelly to drive it over there.  Finding a spare voltage regulator, turning in a shot shock for warrantee.  Making the cig lighter work for cell phone chargers.  It's been pretty good but I want her to have a box of easy spares since I won't be on this trip to help her.
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08:03:59 AM »
OK I was able to just update his Gofundme page and add the additional need...

https://www.gofundme.com/GetCalebUp

Any help spreading the word is greatly appreciated.  Do we have any friendlies in ND, SD or MN on the way from Montana to Mayo?  It's been a great comfort when we travel or especially when I send Kelly on a trip to know we have people out there if she has any problems, vehicular or otherwise :).

We met some of our Marlin crew in Seattle and we found we even had plenty of friends in Texas when they made that trip.
Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #89 on: Aug 26, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »
Haha!  :rofl2: I just saw that you updated your signature.  :clap: