Author Topic: 85 4runner basic build and 3rz swap  (Read 10766 times)

85sr54runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
85 4runner basic build and 3rz swap
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
figured id start a build thread on my 85 sr5 4runner ive been building and wheeling the past couple years. what got me into wheeling was building the solid axle and swapping that in my tahoe plus i build the 9.5 14 bolt geared and locked that too.

then i realized that it was too big for what i wanted and my dads had a couple first gen pickups so i decided on a toyota 4runner. found an all stock 1985 sr5 power windows antenna 31 high way tires and rust too!
having trouble getting the pictures off of my phone but heres how it currently sits. illl get more of a pic log once i find them

85 sr5 3rz swap, w56, dual 2.28 cases, ruff, high steer, s10 springs, bilsteins, 37 master crafts,5.29 with lock rights and high pinon front, slip on taco rotors, chromoly front shafts, bunch o tubes, mastercraft nomad seats

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 85 4runner basic build and 3rz swap
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
from the start she was a cute little thing!

then came 33x10.5 with no lift. you can also see the trail gear rea bumper super legit

found some sliders for 75 bucks on c list ment for a pickup but used em anyways. out of order but ill skip the install of the "rough " country c list lift i put on it

getting serious with the 91 pickup rear geared and locked 4.88 and open front install

front bumper you can see too here

got some more tube added and went wheeling at raush creek up in pa. single case open front stock push pull steering  :o

got stuck on everything . first real hard wheeling but was a blast! and the aftermathh

wheeled some more then time to get more serious. time for the basics... ya knof ruff high steer longer springs blah blahh

happy with the end result

so... i moved on to putting one of these together

85 sr5 3rz swap, w56, dual 2.28 cases, ruff, high steer, s10 springs, bilsteins, 37 master crafts,5.29 with lock rights and high pinon front, slip on taco rotors, chromoly front shafts, bunch o tubes, mastercraft nomad seats

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »
Awwww yeah you are doing it right bro. 85 love coming hard from me right now.  :love: Come to the west coast and lets go wheeling  :driving:

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »
painted it up all snazzy and called her good!

now the problem of the front shaft came about... ran out of money after the rear cv got built so we got creative ( aka cheap... 40$ later)

final product. the seamed tube i got was a lot more work getting it to work. i had to grind a slit in the smaller side
making room for the 14" bilsteins

old versus new

after scratching my head and numerous drawing it all works

gotta protect the diff after bashing it all last summer
after i got it back driveable

so i got bored of the 33s and wanted to be different....

went back to raush again with some buddies a lot more fun dual cases and better meats!

sadly that was the last trip on motor #2 i put in it. lost all power and later found it dropped a valve and all the main bearings were trashed haha but hey i had like 200 bucks in it after i scraped the rest of its donor

looks fast dont it...

used to look mint( that was the atk motor in truck when i origanlly bought it and redid the exchaust and everything

ran some 35s at one trip and oakridge va

put them on my 8" wides the later sold them

camping trip at potts later on

on the way out to my buddies land after a toys for tots event the headgasket blew on the 3rd on i paid 150 and a hp e locker for

so me being me a downward spiral of event happend. i sold my 34s. i bought 37s, seems smart right? then i found a 3rz swap set up but motor had to be rebuild for 450. i was glad be cause it had everything i mean everything all wires cluster evap ac alt starter etc. exhaust pipe jsut no tacoma lol. it had to be bored over becuase cyl4 had water in it so its .030" over now and i should have it back in a week or two. cost me a pretty peny. trying to save some cash i read and read a lot on the wiring and think i got it all right.

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:42:09 PM »
Awwww yeah you are doing it right bro. 85 love coming hard from me right now.  :love: Come to the west coast and lets go wheeling  :driving:

believe me if i could ship it somehow id love to! so many awsome trucks built out there. love your build lots of inspiration. its taken me over 2.5 years to where its at now

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:47:11 PM »
It is definitely a journey. I just hit 2 years myself. We are lucky in that our trucks are factory straight so it is a little easier in some aspects. What is next? I recommend trimming out that rust in your fenders before it spreads. It will kill 2 birds with one stone. You will eliminate the cancer of the rust and also be able to clear bigger tires.

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
It is definitely a journey. I just hit 2 years myself. We are lucky in that our trucks are factory straight so it is a little easier in some aspects. What is next? I recommend trimming out that rust in your fenders before it spreads. It will kill 2 birds with one stone. You will eliminate the cancer of the rust and also be able to clear bigger tires.

ive thought about cutting it all out or fiberglass bed sides but i love rubbing trees lol. next is just get the swap done and re gear this hp i scored from the pick and pull and already have a locker in it. maybe hydro assist at some point and 4x cage. oh i also have mastercraft nomad seats to mount too

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
Seek out the 3rz knowledge thread and LiveOak for any questions/problems that arise. You are on THE forum for 3rz swap so you got that going for you. I'm more or less useless when it comes to 3RZ swap tech as I had a shop do mine because I couldn't have my truck down for that long. I have picked up knowledge for sure but best to go to the guys who actually did the swap themselves. LiveOak is the best I've seen so far.

Fiberglass came onto my radar as well. I decided against it for the same reason. Our trails up here are full of trail rash and they would get torn up. I decided to trim my factory metal instead and then add tube from my sliders to my bumpers. I think it is the proper decision.

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »
i spent probably a month looking a builds wiring diagrams everything! my brain hurt.

swapped 4wd light and reverse plugs on 3rz harness

t100 oil pan new bling.

making room for my relay and fuse box im going to build i started to remove the wire loom and hide unnecessary plugs
before

and after. all wires and just hidden up in fender

also very happy to have the dash all back togerther after damaging the heater core. i fixed some po speaker wires and ran the wire for my starter relay. obd2 plug and the wire out to the old injector resistor plug

how it currenly sits..

the plan is to power wash everything this weekend and try and finish the lspv delete. not show is i swaped to ifs hubs with v6 brake calipers and slip on rotors. io used awd matrix rear studs and swapped in the dual diaphram booster and laster master as well. im getting very axious about my motor and want to start figuring the mounts and ordering the rest of the parts ( clutch, exhaust ignition parts etc)

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »
Seek out the 3rz knowledge thread and LiveOak for any questions/problems that arise. You are on THE forum for 3rz swap so you got that going for you. I'm more or less useless when it comes to 3RZ swap tech as I had a shop do mine because I couldn't have my truck down for that long. I have picked up knowledge for sure but best to go to the guys who actually did the swap themselves. LiveOak is the best I've seen so far.

Fiberglass came onto my radar as well. I decided against it for the same reason. Our trails up here are full of trail rash and they would get torn up. I decided to trim my factory metal instead and then add tube from my sliders to my bumpers. I think it is the proper decision.

yeah i read through that and think i have it figured out. time will tell when its time to start it haha. ive thought about that option but i just like the simple look of less tube the better around the body. how did you seal up the quartes after you cut them?

im also undecided about the intake how i want to do it. i see a lot run an open element but idk how i feel about that. ive thought about getting the taco air box and a snorkel set up but i know id just break it off on a tree haha

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:01:28 AM »
Sick build man! Dig that front bumper ! 85 sr5 is where it's at
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2016, 04:28:38 AM »
Seam sealer that you can pick up at napa will seal up the rear after trimming.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 08:05:29 AM by SqWADoosh »

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
ill keep that in mind! are most of yall moving battery to drivers side with the 3rz swap? trying to decide how i want to do that and the battery cables.stock it runs from alt to fuse box then to battery any issues running battery to starter, fuse box, and alternator all separate and fused? trying to run the least amount of cables and cleanly. more pics to come later maybe of underhood cleaning

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
No, most of us eliminate the stock air intake and run a cone filter. There is no need to move your battery. This will leave a great spot for a second battery where the stock 22re air box was.

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
will do then. planing to upgrade the alt and starter wires i know im going to make a new starter power but should i keep the stock alt wire in place and add the new wire in parallel stock way to the fuse box or just run alt to battery and then battery to fuse box on passenger fender

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
will do then. planing to upgrade the alt and starter wires i know im going to make a new starter power but should i keep the stock alt wire in place and add the new wire in parallel stock way to the fuse box or just run alt to battery and then battery to fuse box on passenger fender

I'm running all those wires stock so I can't speak to what you are asking about. Haven't had a need to do any of those things.

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
Looking good man. Nice score on the 3RZ ready to roll.  Just noticed you went up to Raush were abouts are you at. Maryland or V.A.

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »
i live in richmond va! hope ill get out to wheel this summer but who knows haha have a list of stuff to do.

big note got the motor back from engine builder friday night and its almost all ready to figure out the motor mounts! ordered all of the rest of the little parts i need besides the clutch parts. going to get the mounts done then order the clutch stuff next pay check and hope to have it running sometime in march.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
damn dude, dig your build
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2016, 09:04:27 AM »
damn dude, dig your build

Thanks man!

ive made a lot of progress just not posted in the last week or two. motors in along with new clutch parts. I just orderd the parts to finish my fuel lines, starter cable, relay/ fuse panel, new convertor, misc hoses and belts needed and air filter parts. The plan is to try and start it this weekend. fingers crossed! :shades:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
First fire video?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

85sr54runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
trying to get it running now. i have no spark. fuel pressure i have and it turns over but no spark :( i have power at coil and distributor. looking up how to test those two components now. anything else i should check i may have missed?