Author Topic: 83 22r rejecting oil filters  (Read 11423 times)

RossGo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Re: 83 22r rejecting oil filters
« Reply #90 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
the passages arent in the pan, they are in the block... not something you can remove.....

did you ever use silicone sealant with the old head gasket?
You mean the sealant around the chain hole?
I misread this. He meant remove a plug, not the whole tube
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12375313&postcount=14

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
if a cunk of sealant dropeed down and got sucked up somewhere, yeah, could have decided to plug a hole......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
That is a good theory.
Any way to check everything now that the head is back on?

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
the presssure relief at the pump should not let oil pressure build that high  u have replaced the pump what 3 times now and cleaned the relief valve    im puzzle    did you say why u replaced the head gasket the first time

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
the presssure relief at the pump should not let oil pressure build that high  u have replaced the pump what 3 times now and cleaned the relief valve    im puzzle    did you say why u replaced the head gasket the first time

Yeah. It overheated.
Ran fine after HG tho for a LITTLE bit.
I am gonna pull the relief spring tomorrow and try

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #95 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:09:39 AM »
If you were to leave the oil cap off and run it does it still happen? If it were the HG and you leave the cap off there should be no build up of pressure inside the engine and it would be very visible through the opening. Also one more suggestion PCV valve.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
Hey everyone!
Haven't been on here in a little bit due to school and other things.
On monday, we put the filter on as tight as possible. Blew out
Pulled the relief spring in the oil pump. Blew out
Pulled oil cap. Blew out.
Pulled PCV. Blew out
Looks like bottom end is getting pulled apart to find the problem

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
Hey everyone!
Haven't been on here in a little bit due to school and other things.
On monday, we put the filter on as tight as possible. Blew out
Pulled the relief spring in the oil pump. Blew out
Pulled oil cap. Blew out.
Pulled PCV. Blew out
Looks like bottom end is getting pulled apart to find the problem
get yourself some allen head sockets.  pull the timing cover off and the oil pan.   directly below the oil filter just inside of the oilpan gasket is a allen head plug.  remove that,  also one on the front of the block, remove it.  go to a gun store and buy yourself a 30 caliber rifle bore brush and a 410 shotgun bore brush

use the 30 cal brush first if you can run it all the way thru great if not :yikes: OH SNAP :yikes:  you have GUNKIE JUNKIE

you can also do this to the crank shaft.  btw most machine shops dont remove these plugs when they boil an engine out but i always remove them before i take an engine in.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
well updates???

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
get yourself some allen head sockets.  pull the timing cover off and the oil pan.   directly below the oil filter just inside of the oilpan gasket is a allen head plug.  remove that,  also one on the front of the block, remove it.  go to a gun store and buy yourself a 30 caliber rifle bore brush and a 410 shotgun bore brush

use the 30 cal brush first if you can run it all the way thru great if not :yikes: OH SNAP :yikes:  you have GUNKIE JUNKIE

you can also do this to the crank shaft.  btw most machine shops dont remove these plugs when they boil an engine out but i always remove them before i take an engine in.

That sounds like a good trick Glen.  Lets hope he tries that first before tearing apart the bottom end.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »
Mini update, got the garage all cleaned out, and the truck is in. Nice and warm.
However, the oil galley plugs WILL NOT come out. Even an allen socket on an impact would not turn them. Talked to LCE, and they said they should not be that tight. They recommended an easy out, which also snapped.
Next attempt is welding a nut to the plug itself...

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
IF there is any exposed metal on those gally plugs still.. AND YOU ARE VERY COMFORTABLE with an oxy torch and have one.... pinpoint heat the plug and quench with WAX....

I wish I woulda been here before you did the head, I woulda told you with the head OFF to apply pressure to the outlet hole of the oil filter housing and make sure it came out the oil gally that heads to the head. IF you want to consider it, its risky, but you could pull the front passnger side headbolt and test the same, BUT when DONE you have to make a small tube to suck ALL OIL out of the bolt hole...but it would tell you if the oil is making it through the galley that goes to the head
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #102 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
, BUT when DONE you have to make a small tube to suck ALL OIL out of the bolt hole
good point bog yes if this is not done then that bolt will not tighten right and when the engine heats up it will sspin its self back out causing the gasket to blow in that spot and possibly a warped head or block if its not caught quickly
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
Btw, as an experienced auto machinist and engine assembly tech, all engines that left our shop had a cold valve adjustment, after running you could set your hot adjustment!
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #104 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »
the toyota service manuel and identafix strictly state to adjust warm but i thought about it and agree completly now that there has to be some base to go off of before you start the engine for the first time i guess this is just one tech's opinion over anothers like ive seen tech at my old job do head gaskets sprayed the block down with break clean and put the head on it was back 2 weeks later he didnt clean out th holes and immeaditly put the bolts in trapping the liquid break clean in there
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
I wish I woulda been here before you did the head, I woulda told you with the head OFF to apply pressure to the outlet hole of the oil filter housing and make sure it came out the oil gally that heads to the head
I did this exactly. Air got through, but air is thinner than oil I guess

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
did it seam like easy and open flow? or just a slow trickle? 

I mean, this just downright weird

RossGo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Hard to say. I made an adapter so that the compressor was lodged in and sealed on the filter side, which meant it had one exit. Air would flow unless it was fully blocked I would think.
Regardless, I now have to pull those plugs anyway, so we will see.
It's been a true series of unfortunate events

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
$hitty man
hope you figure it out