Author Topic: General Automotive Upgrade Question  (Read 3132 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
General Automotive Upgrade Question
« on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
This is from my co-worker, he watches the board but doesn't have a truck and so doesn't want to logon. I keep telling him it doesn't matter.
Anyhoo, he wants me to ask you cause he says 'those Marlin guys know EVERYTHING' so here goes:

I’m thinking of buying a performance pulley kit which replaces my stock A/C, alternator and drive shaft pulleys with lighter, stronger and slightly larger diameter pulleys.  I was just wondering if there was much gain in doing that.  They’re rather expensive, so I wanted to know before I bought them.  I’m looking for at least 5 – 10 bhp increase… is that wishful thinking?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: General Automotive Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
This is from my co-worker, he watches the board but doesn't have a truck and so doesn't want to logon. I keep telling him it doesn't matter.
Anyhoo, he wants me to ask you cause he says 'those Marlin guys know EVERYTHING' so here goes:

I’m thinking of buying a performance pulley kit which replaces my stock A/C, alternator and drive shaft pulleys with lighter, stronger and slightly larger diameter pulleys.  I was just wondering if there was much gain in doing that.  They’re rather expensive, so I wanted to know before I bought them.  I’m looking for at least 5 – 10 bhp increase… is that wishful thinking?
what kind of vehicle? some it can make somewhat of a difference...some its not worth it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »
IMO, it will give you the power, but you will not notice 5-10hp in a seat-of-the-pants dyno.  if you do that in conjunction with several other mods at the same time,9enough to bring in 30+HP) you will feel a difference.

as DTB said, is does depend on the vehicle.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
this might be useful for measuring performance after the upgrade...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=41

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!"

:rofl2:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »

:rofl:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
It is a 2000--something Toyota something-or-other... does that help?  :disturbed:

I can't find him, give me a sec. .. OK it's a:

2003 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE)

Where is the Mammoth?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
not worth the time and $$
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »
not worth the money,  those motors  are strong,  a good tune up  and  a  cold air intake  might be better

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:49:34 PM »
It is a 2000--something Toyota something-or-other... does that help?  :disturbed:

Priceles!  :rofl2: You should tell that to the guys ar the parts store and look at the puzzled looks on their faces. Oh, man that sounds just like something my wife would say.  :yupyup:

MWM  :smooch:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:04:09 AM »
Priceles!  :rofl2: You should tell that to the guys ar the parts store and look at the puzzled looks on their faces. Oh, man that sounds just like something my wife would say.  :yupyup:

MWM  :smooch:

:rofl:  Thanks Gittin! :smooch:  You should see when I go to try to get parts for the Mammoth and they want to know the model and year, and I have to say 'well, it really doesn't matter' .... and I get this blank stare.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:08:59 AM »
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :smooch:

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
:rofl:  Thanks Gittin! :smooch:  You should see when I go to try to get parts for the Mammoth and they want to know the model and year, and I have to say 'well, it really doesn't matter' .... and I get this blank stare.
:rofl:   yea  i sent mom to get something for mytruck one day  :rofl2:   she called  and i could here  someone laughing,  she asked me  what  year  part  it was i needed  for the JohnnyCash mobile  :shake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
This is funny, I showed my co-worker your answers from my computer. He thought the seat post was a hoot and appreciated all the advise.... this was what he wrote me later:

By the way, for that guy that with the funny seat post, all I have is the full intake, headers and custom cat back exhaust.  I have a stock spoiler which I will not replace with a fancy wing on my FWD car and I don't have fancy graphics or stickers advertising what I have or WISH I had.  I don't have cut springs or air bags or hydraulics; I don't have spinners or bling bling on my car.  And even though I have the exhaust, it still doesn't sound like a mad weed whacker from hell.

Racer, not ricer.  ; )

I replied that he needs to at least get an exhaust spinner...

he thought that was a hoot and sent it to his cousin who replied with this (I just thought this was funny as hell!):

OK so i found the official exhaust tip spinners website.  check this out straight from http://www.shoplaser.com/:

The SPINNER EXHAUST TIP adds a spinner to the end of a car's exhaust pipe. The spinner will rotate in the exhaust stream. At high engine speeds the spring-loaded spinner is also pushed out of the exhaust tip, giving a visual indication of the revving engine. For a variety of cars with electronic fuel injection engine control, the SPINNER EXHAUST TIP has the beneficial effect to eliminate the initial hesitation of the engine under rapid acceleration. Furthermore, the exhaust gases emanating from the tailpipe will be uniformly dispersed into the atmosphere. In some instances the speed of the vehicle will be sufficient to create a negative presence at the outlet of the exhaust tailpipe to assist in the evacuation of the exhaust gases.

:haha:

I can't believe people out there actually believe this stuff.  Eliminate initial engine hesitation?  So ADDING back pressure HELPS engine response?!?!  "Negative Presence"!!!  A smarter man trying to BS customers would have said "negative pressure" but noooo... FEAR THE NEGATIVE PRESENCE that comes with our spinna tip!! 

:rofl2:    :talkingn:  :rofl:    :laugh:    :hahaha: 

FEAR THE NEGATIVE PRESENCE!!!   :cheese: 

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »
and I just have to ask... does the exhaust gases emanating from the tailpipe being uniformly dispersed into the atmosphere reduce your carbon footprint?

Enquiring minds want to know.

:popcorn:

Where is the Mammoth?

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »
 :rofl2:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »
In some states they have roving smog sniffers that just park along side the road and can check your emmissions on the spot as you drive without touching the vehicle. They also can tell if you have a CAT or not, from your ir footprint. That statement about dispersing the exhaust cases uniformly is probably a selling point, not that it would work.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
this whole negative presence thing is a total myth.....

Smart tuners know the importance of 100% backpressure. You've heard of the Y pipe.. the X pipe.. the H pipe.. nothing can touch the O pipe!!! It provides 100% back pressure feedback on ALL engines!! Torque increase and kuneutson valve float brings in much lower revs so you don't hurt your motor! Not CARB Legal. Please specify standard or polished finish. Product shown is dual input O-Pipe with standard finish.

RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2007, 01:41:59 PM »
I want the AWD conversion kit, I wonder if it comes in a six lug pattern, this setup will keep me from bending a front driveshaft.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »

:rofl:

Where is the Mammoth?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
I can't believe people out there actually believe this stuff.  Eliminate initial engine hesitation?  So ADDING back pressure HELPS engine response?!?!  "Negative Presence"!!!  A smarter man trying to BS customers would have said "negative pressure" but noooo... FEAR THE NEGATIVE PRESENCE that comes with our spinna tip!! 

:rofl2:    :talkingn:  :rofl:    :laugh:    :hahaha: 

FEAR THE NEGATIVE PRESENCE!!!   :cheese: 

Whats funny is the other day I was leaving school and this kid had a new model camaro. I thought i was tripping out because every time he accelerated his tailpipe lit up green. i finally got close and realized he had some throttle-linked lights in his exhaust tip that got brighter the more gas he gave it. I was just like....wtf?? :headscratch:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting