Author Topic: Brake Upgrade Question  (Read 2707 times)

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Brake Upgrade Question
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »
Are there any brake upgrades for the front bakes on an 85 solid front axle truck ?, i know about swaping over to the vented rotors and v6 calipers, but are there any 4 piston calipers off another car/truck that would be a direct bolt on for my stock 2 piston calipers ?. ive already swapped in a duel diaphram booster off an 89 truck and that made a noticable difference, so im just trying to find out if there is anything else i can do short of spending money i don`t have on the new rotors and calipers.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:30:29 PM »
aren't the v6 calipers 4 piston?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/calipers.htm

V6 IFS front brake calipers. 4 piston, originally found on 1988-1995 V6 trucks. These are the perfect calipers for upgrading the brakes on 1979-1985 front solid axles.

Note: Calipers may require the use of wheel spacers when used on 79-85 solid front axles.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

myyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:11:53 AM »
Can you use the V6 calipers on a solid axle truck with out swapping over to vented rotors ?.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »
Can you use the V6 calipers on a solid axle truck with out swapping over to vented rotors ?.
Even if you could why wouldn't you want the vented rotors? They aren't that expensive and it's worth the effort of installing them.
aren't the v6 calipers 4 piston?
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/calipers.htm

V6 IFS front brake calipers. 4 piston, originally found on 1988-1995 V6 trucks. These are the perfect calipers for upgrading the brakes on 1979-1985 front solid axles.

Note: Calipers may require the use of wheel spacers when used on 79-85 solid front axles.
All the calipers from the solid axles and IFS were 4 piston calipers. The difference with the V6 calipers is all four pistons are large pistons where as the 4cyl pistons are 2 large and 2 smaller pistons. and the reason for possibly needing wheel spacers with the V6 calipers is that those calipers have large cooling fins on them which can hit the wheel when bolted on. Some wheels vary in design and may or may not bolt up without wheel spacers. As far as which rotors to buy...if you're using your solid axle hubs you'll want rotors from an '81 land cruiser. it all bolts up and the only thing I did to mine was grind the backing plate a little (about 1/16")to clear the caliper to get it to bolt on. That's it!

PetaSux

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »
How do these calipers and rotors fit with wider ifs style hub bodies?  On an 85 4wd.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »
How do these calipers and rotors fit with wider ifs style hub bodies?  On an 85 4wd.
If you were to use the IFS hubs the difference in the hubs (solid axle vs. IFS) is that the IFS hub wheel mounting flange is further outboard than the Solid axle unit. Also with that the rotor is moved out as well and then you can't bolt on the caliper to the solid axle knuckle assembly with the rotor further out. However, there is a spacer available from Skyy mfg (and possibly others) for the rotor to realign further inboard for the caliper to fit. It's not cheap though  :down:. You can achieve the same results for a lot less money by buying the FJ rotors and wheel spacers than to buy the rotor spacer set up  :clap:. Or.. you can make your own rotor spacer as some people here have done  :flamer:. You may have to do a search on it to get that info as I have not done that mod. The hubs are interchangeable with the exception of the wheel seals on the back of the hub (use the solid axle seal in the IFS hub when installing on a solid axle knuckle). Bearings and lockout hubs fit either, but you need to use the lockout hubs that are for the axle you're using since the shaft splines are different between the two types. Have fun doing your upgrade, I know I did  :gap:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
(use the solid axle seal in the IFS hub when installing on a solid axle knuckle).

Eggggseelent.

In all my research, I never caught that little bit of info.  I found out the hard way.  :D

So I just thought I'd quote it.  :O

Oh, here.  Read though this.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515697

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »
Eggggseelent.

In all my research, I never caught that little bit of info.  I found out the hard way.  :D

So I just thought I'd quote it.  :O

Oh, here.  Read though this.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515697

Also good info thanks!   :beerchug: