Author Topic: I am new to these EFI TURBO CRAP. questions....  (Read 1967 times)

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
I am new to these EFI TURBO CRAP. questions....
« on: Apr 01, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »
Got some Questions. I have a 86' 22tre with a garret T3 turbo (for a saab), the engine has 110,000 miles on it. It has newer exhaust that goes straight to the back with a glass pack in between. No cat or nothing.

My first question is, in the morning, or when the engine is cold, i start it up and it spits this black water like stuff all over. It drips out of the tail pipe and then when i step on the gas just a little bit, it sprays all over. Sometimes it will even do it when it is warm. Do you know what this stuff is? What it is from? how to stop it?

Next question is where do i buy the arp head bolts or studs everyone talks about? And can i simply pull the valve cover off to install?

another question i have is, where is a good place, or some good things i should look into electronically for this turbo? i have heard of turbo timers, controllers, etc. But i am new to this stuff. I always had the sweet, no hassle, 22r.  :eyebrow:

Thanks  :thumbs:
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I believe what you are seeing is condensation, with carbon mixed in. Engine sounds like it is running rich, could be an o2 sensor, or maybe because you have no cat. The ARP head studs can be purchased at Summit Racing, and to replace them you should do a head gasket, as you are removing all the head bolts. As far as the electronics go not to sure maybe LCE.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
condensation, with carbon mixed in

X2    try putting some better gas in it or an additive and see if it goes away.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
seafoam  my boy

its just carbon,  no  big deal  if the headgasket aint blown  dont worry about the head bolts,
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RAZOR [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
SeaFoam..... I see  :_oops:

I just changed the o2 sensor, still does it. i have been meaning to put on a flowmaster 40 series. Unless i am convinced of something better, Muffler wise. Is it possible a muffler will be the end of it.
Oh and i have been running 87 shell in her.

Thanks  :thumbs:
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well if you are running any more boost then stock(which with the t3 you probably are) I would try a higher octane gas.I would also invest in a wideband o2 sensor and a good A/F ratio gauge and a boost gauge.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
The turbo motors due require running super unleaded gas.  They need the higher octane rating to prevent pinging.  Pinging is bad for turbo motors.  Will destroy the pistons!   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen