Author Topic: Goin back to school....  (Read 2821 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Goin back to school....
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »
So Matt and I are starting full time classes on Monday :thud: Not only that, we're both workin full time.  Keep yer :crossed: for us!!! :thud:

We're both aiming for our associates' degree, he's thinkin bout business, and I'm pretty sure I'm going into health admin.  We got quite a road ahead of us.....  :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: Goin back to school....
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
cool, good luck!  i'm starting back on monday also, going for my b.s. in geology.  got 7 classes left to finish.  its nice getting school out of the way, i'm just hopeing it pays off.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
cool, good luck!  i'm starting back on monday also, going for my b.s. in geology.  got 7 classes left to finish.  its nice getting school out of the way, i'm just hopeing it pays off.

US TOO!!! We're both going to University of Phoenix.... Online classes.  I'm lookin forward to it :yupyup:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »
i'm taking my first online class ever this quarter.  hopefully its not too hard.  i'm not very computer literate.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:19:29 PM »
good luck, that'll be a busy road for awhile but will be worth it in the end.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »
Right on, that is awesome both of you are going back to school. I took the summer off this year for some much needed rest (first summer or semester I have not had school since the summer prior to my senior year in high school, 2003). Back on schedule though for this semester. I am a little bummed because I am having a hard time keeping up with the bills right now and trying to find a second job. Also with gas prices there is just NO way I am going to be able to commute to Rocklin for a total of 400 miles PER week. Just can't afford it. So I am a little screwed in terms of my primary direction, which is a Masters of Science and then onto a PHD in entomology... someday  :think:

So since my campus up here actually offered Biology for the first time in while, I decided to stay up here. I am also pursuing some business classes because when I was in HS that was my original plan. Figure an extra minor wouldn't hurt, and I can jump right into it since I dont have any general ed prerequisites as I already have those under my belt.

The only thing I want to warn you about with taking online classes is its REALLY EASY TO FORGET ABOUT IT. Do not underestimate how easy it is to forget to log on, or turn an assignment in on time. Especially if you are working full time, two jobs. You can screw yourselves over real fast with online classes. Teachers are also a lot less lenient because a lot of people take online classes, and a lot of those people constantly have an excuse for something, late assignment, missed exams etc. So they don't really give a hoot about your excuses, and its easier for them to shoot you down and tell you tough :pokinit: since you can't give them a sad puppy dog face, or bake them cookies  :gap:

Just take it from me. It sucks to spend a couple months busting ass and then take your A down to a C, or even fail. All because you decided to go on that snow run you knew you shouldnt have gone on. And then your buddy broke down, and it took two days to fix and you were the only one with a working 4x4, so you were the only one that could drive to BFE both days to run parts, tools and food. And you totally forgot that your final research paper (worth half of your final exam score) was due by 5PM that day. And even though it was true, your teacher doesn't buy one word of your heroic snow rescue story and tells you "better luck next time!"  :smack:

Just stay on top of that stuff. What I suggest doing is picking a time, X days a week and pretending like you have a class to be at with a teacher who gets pissed if you don't show up. Then just make a habit of always logging on and doing your work that time on those days. Makes it a lot easier to stay on top of things once you make a habit of always doing your work then. So good luck, and DONT FORGET!!!  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »

The only thing I want to warn you about with taking online classes is its REALLY EASY TO FORGET ABOUT IT. Do not underestimate how easy it is to forget to log on, or turn an assignment in on time. Especially if you are working full time, two jobs. You can screw yourselves over real fast with online classes. Teachers are also a lot less lenient because a lot of people take online classes, and a lot of those people constantly have an excuse for something, late assignment, missed exams etc. So they don't really give a hoot about your excuses, and its easier for them to shoot you down and tell you tough :pokinit: since you can't give them a sad puppy dog face, or bake them cookies  :gap:

Just take it from me. It sucks to spend a couple months busting ass and then take your A down to a C, or even fail. All because you decided to go on that snow run you knew you shouldnt have gone on. And then your buddy broke down, and it took two days to fix and you were the only one with a working 4x4, so you were the only one that could drive to BFE both days to run parts, tools and food. And you totally forgot that your final research paper (worth half of your final exam score) was due by 5PM that day. And even though it was true, your teacher doesn't buy one word of your heroic snow rescue story and tells you "better luck next time!"  :smack:

Just stay on top of that stuff. What I suggest doing is picking a time, X days a week and pretending like you have a class to be at with a teacher who gets pissed if you don't show up. Then just make a habit of always logging on and doing your work that time on those days. Makes it a lot easier to stay on top of things once you make a habit of always doing your work then. So good luck, and DONT FORGET!!!  :biggthumpup:

:werd: and don't assume that because they're online, they're easy classes.  I've had several online classes that actually required more work than normal classes, and vice versa.  :gap: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I've never taken an online class... so any pointers are appreciated.  Matt and I are taking our generals at the same time, so our first about 20 credits will be together - same classes.  So we better be able to keep each other on track :yupyup:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »
Great news!!!

Good luck with your studies. Hope it goes as well as you've planned. Just keep on grinding away at it, you will reach your goals!

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2008, 01:40:35 AM »
Online courses require self-discipline and the ability to interpret the material on your own. If you can do that then you're set.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »
Good luck guys, my youngest daughter has gone back to get her masters in business management and advertising.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »
done with homework 2 nite :thud:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
SO FAR it's not so bad.  We're taking 2 classes, and most of the time the stuff is due on alternate days.  Matt and I are trying to work ahead so that we can have some time with Sierra on Saturday and Sunday.  Unfortunately, there is stuff due 6 days a week instead of 5 :tantrum: but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Time to go walk the mutt  :driving:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
SO FAR it's not so bad.  We're taking 2 classes, and most of the time the stuff is due on alternate days.  Matt and I are trying to work ahead so that we can have some time with Sierra on Saturday and Sunday.  Unfortunately, there is stuff due 6 days a week instead of 5 :tantrum: but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Time to go walk the mutt  :driving:

Nice! Keep it up!

I just got back from Biology. This was my second day and I am NOT impressed whatsoever with my teacher. He is also a high school teacher at the local HS and so he brings his lack of enthusiasm from dealing with ungrateful little POS high schoolers all day with him to class. He is very unorganized and so far ($250 worth of text books are still in the mail from amazon) I am struggling to figure out what I need to know, and what I don't.

There are going to be shitty teachers at any school. But man, after the last 3 semesters of GREAT science teachers I forgot what its like to have a jerk for a teacher again :down:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »
I have one class where my teacher spends 90% of her time telling students what NOT to do on the forum.  Not even related to class, just "don't start a thread", "don't respond to so and so's thread", "don't call me, you have to email me to set up a phone appointment for a time you can call me"... and so on.  She IRKS me.. and she isn't really teaching.  I asked her to help me understand one of my assignments and she gives for the most part yes and no answers.

:ack:

But my other teacher is fantastic - totally friendly and is even conversational. 

Such is life!

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »
i started back to school a couple of weeks ago. im gettting my wleding cert, really enjoying it so far the hardest class is the blueprint reading and thats because im so rusty on the math
good luck everyone

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
i started back to school a couple of weeks ago. im gettting my wleding cert, really enjoying it so far the hardest class is the blueprint reading and thats because im so rusty on the math
good luck everyone

Good luck to you! That's awsome! The blueprint reading was the hardest part for me too, but once you learn all them dang'd symbols you'll get it in no time!

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2008, 05:36:27 AM »
Hey good luck you guys!  It'll be an adventure and I'm sure it WILL pay off!  Everyone is all about that degree these days.  And any degree gives you an edge over someone without one.

I'm the "Web Courseware System Administrator" for our eCampus at the University I work at so I set up our online course shells for faculty and enroll the students into them and provide tech support for it.  46&2 is right, it's easy to forget about your online courses since there usually isn't any specific time that you *have* to log in.  It's so funny...."computer problems" is the new "dog ate my homework" excuse.  LOL.  At our eCampus, when students try that excuse, the faculty check with me and have me check with our Course Management System's helpdesk as well, and if the student hasn't logged an issue with either of us (i.e. did not contact tech support for their "problem") they won't accept it.

Sounds like your one teacher isn't all that comfortable teaching online.  That or she just needs to learn some patience, sheesh!

I'm not sure how much help I can be since I'm not sure what they use there for a CMS, but I'm certainly willing to try.  Good luck!!  :D
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2008, 08:56:05 PM »
so its been a couple of weeks hows everone doing in school?
im doing pretty good, my welds have improved 100fold and i think im doing fairly well in my classes, my only problem is my stick welding class is on mondays and ive only welded in it one day!!!! darn holidays tis ok tho im gonna borrow a buddies stick and run up my electric bill practicing at home
the dogs are happy im not taking vetranarian classes lol

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »
So far so good.... it's kinda frustrating when I can't understand something - either I gotta figure it out, guess, or ask for help and that can take days.

Congrats on the welds!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
good for u goin back to school. i just got accepted into a vascular imaging program. its goin to be nuts. i got 11 units this term with 2 labs. it should be fun 6 terms of school left then off to get a masters in health care management.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »
good for u goin back to school. i just got accepted into a vascular imaging program. its goin to be nuts. i got 11 units this term with 2 labs. it should be fun 6 terms of school left then off to get a masters in health care management.

Awsome! That's great.  Unfortunately, the JC I used to be at says I owe them money (I don't, we have record of them getting our check in 2005), so they won't give me my transcripts.  So, looks like I"m starting from the beginning again. We'll see, I reaalllyyyy don't want to do Algebra III again! I can fight it, but right now it's small beans compared to everything else going on right now.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
Awsome! That's great.  Unfortunately, the JC I used to be at says I owe them money (I don't, we have record of them getting our check in 2005), so they won't give me my transcripts.  So, looks like I"m starting from the beginning again. We'll see, I reaalllyyyy don't want to do Algebra III again! I can fight it, but right now it's small beans compared to everything else going on right now.

If you've got record of the check, then take it in to them!  :thumbs:  It really sucks having to go back and redo parts of school that you really shouldn't have too
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
well after the round up and getting the tow rig and trail rig ready for mcr and work and school, I am carrying A's in my classes. :woohoo: :thud:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
well after the round up and getting the tow rig and trail rig ready for mcr and work and school, I am carrying A's in my classes. :woohoo: :thud:

Nice :thumbs: