Author Topic: ideas for fender flares, tire coverage, DD wide offset or tons???  (Read 7548 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Pretty much, tired of not being able to drive my truck to the local trails, dont want to have to load up, tow, park unload, all that junk for just a 10-20 minute drive....

Im looking for the people that have offset, or fullsize axles and DD or have tire coverage... I know each situation is unique, so im pretty much just looking for ideas....I really havent seen many other than people with Exo's

ive done similar before with a buddies sami.... worked ok, didnt look to bad, and was cheap. but the mounting on this rig was easy....not sure if it would work for me

anyway, here is what im dealing with, what yeall got

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
This is what I fab'd for a neighbor's kid.

I attatched a hanger(bolted) to each frame rail, one using round stock and one side using square,

One side of the cross bar has a square section of tube that slides into the quare hanger to prevent the flaps from twisting in the hangers.  The cross bar then slides through the two hangers, and I use a hitch pin to hold the other mudflap/mount onto the bar.  It breaks down and the flaps roll up so it would easily fit into the truck tool box he has for when on the trail.  IIRC, it cost less than $15 in supplies.

Here in CA you are only required to have one not both mudflaps and flares, so he didn't need flares as well to get his fix-it ticket cleared.

If you have clearanced the rear bed sides, and have room to come off the frame, you might be able to do something similar to what I did for my '91 flatbed.

The mudflap hanger just slides out, but you might be able to reverse the hanger(slide it in from the bottom) and use a hitch pin to hold the hanger in place, or a castle nut and pin for extra security.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile

Here in CA you are only required to have one not both mudflaps and flares, so he didn't need flares as well to get his fix-it ticket cleared.

No you have to have adequate coverage to prevent spray to the rear of the vehicle

27600.  No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

not an "either or"  that means by law he would of had to have flares aswell CHP probably let him slide since he's not retarded wide. Ive had enough mudflap/flare tickets to know the law way too well..  Last one i got on my fullwidth truck where i had FULL size semi truck mudflaps on the rear of the vehicle and it was still not enough for the CHP.

I ended up fabbing flares with my flaps like this

which also had garden edging coming out off that too since that also was not enough to cover the tire.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
Check your state laws.  I know that here in Pa, flares cannot be more than 3" wide.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
try fiberglass fender flares. they have a 5inch bulge. or you can convert to a newer style front end (tacoma, tundra)

http://www.hannemannfiberglass.com/custom.asp?id=457567&page=17
Let's put a smile on that face!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Put some flaps on it and you will be OK

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Toby, why don't you just go through the front end, and set it up right.  You said half of the front end is home brewed.  Go hydro assist, and fix the front.  Should be cheaper than doing 1 tons.  I know alot of guys had issues with their front axles for years, and went hydro assist, and it solved the issue.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
cheesy, you been hitn that brew a bit hard bro    :beer:  .... i just want fenders dude, not axle lol...   after my pitman arm is installed, the front end should be tight on the street, the rear might be a bit loose and scary until i get used to it

Not looking for mud flaps, FENDER FLARES ... maybe a bit like ironclads, but..... less um. obtrusive lol  :psss: , or should i say , more removable..

but yea, im just looking for tire coverage.... if i wanted to drive it like it is i would throw some smaller tires with less offset on..

Tillamook, OR

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
In the title of the post you mention "TONS!"  And yes, I'm drinking tonight.  I'm hitting the hard stuff.  Ask your old lady about the pregnant dog and the habitual write up king, and why I got taken into the office today..   :tantrum:  Hell, Amber was on the receiving end of the pregnant dog today too!! 

Ok, your tires aren't sticking out too bad, cause I know a few people with worse in tilly.  And your only going 30ish miles.  And as if those tires are gonna throw a rock!!   :yupyup:   You could put a 3" belting on there and be cool around here.  OR find some old Bushwacker flares. 

Gotta go, my head is starting to sweim.   Oh, the guys at work is giving me a bad time about the flanges on my trruck.   :rofl2:  They are saying it doesn't look right with them on.   :rofl2:  They are just jealous cause they are driving a GEO or some other car!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
lol... i think i will quit my job, come work for "you guys" for a bit until someone really pisses me off, then i will let out all the rage i have assimilated from said job i would be quitting on someone worth it lol...

I could do what Josi did to his FJ but its butt ugly... my fenders are too thrashed for wackers and unless free thats def outa the question lol... 

I think i have an idea, but i have to get the engine out of my garage first so i can pull the truck to the middle and actually get to both sides (and hopefully that hub)

Tillamook, OR

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
No you have to have adequate coverage to prevent spray to the rear of the vehicle.

This requirement is unenforceable since the law doesn't state what amount of spray is acceptable, and if it did, it would then only be enforceable under wet conditions.

27600.  No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

LEO’s aren’t experts in the law, they don’t have any better understanding of the law then the average person does, which is why so many arrests/tickets get dismissed when challenged in court.  Laws are written primarily by lawyers for lawyers who understand how to interpret them from a legal analysis perspective, you can’t read and interpret them the same way you do with general literature.

When interpreting CVC 27600 as it was intended to be interpreted it states the following, all motorized vehicle having 3 or more wheels, any trailer, or semi-trailer is required to have a body that at least covers the tread of the tire.  Any motorized vehicle having 3 or more wheels, trailer, or semi-trailer that does not have a body that at least covers the tread of the tire must then be equipped with fenders, covers, mud flaps, or splash guards.  The purpose of this requirement is to afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle.  The only exemptions to this requirement are vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semi-trailers with an unladen weight of under 1500lbs, and vehicles with an unladen weight of under 1500lbs that were manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971. 

not an "either or"  that means by law he would of had to have flares aswell CHP probably let him slide since he's not retarded wide. Ive had enough mudflap/flare tickets to know the law way too well..  Last one i got on my fullwidth truck where i had FULL size semi truck mudflaps on the rear of the vehicle and it was still not enough for the CHP.

Whomever told you that CVC 27600 was an “and” law was wrong, it is an “or” law when pertaining to tire tread coverage.  The only “and” requirement is in the section defining which vehicles are exempt from the requirements of the statute.  For it to be an “and” law, it would have to state fenders or covers are required on all motor vehicles having 3 or more wheels………, and when fenders or covers do not “afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle”, devices such as fender flares, flaps, splash guards, or a combination of these devices will be required for compliance.  Or, the law would state that no more than “X” amount of inches of tread can be exposed from the side of the body of a vehicle or trailer, and no more than “X” inches of tread can be exposed below the body of the vehicle, before additional coverage is required, such as the Oregon law does.  CVC 27600 does neither of these, therefore it is an “or” requirement code, and not an “and” requirement.

I ended up fabbing flares with my flaps like this

which also had garden edging coming out off that too since that also was not enough to cover the tire.

Nice work on the flares. :biggthumpup:

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hansi530

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 412
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
i wouldnt be too worried about it i drove mine every day for a tear and a half only got pulled over once and never got a ticket
88 custom cab: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88026.new#new
shitlbuffout-A saying among 4x4 and off road enthusiasts. Its said after damage normally cosmetic to minor parts damage has occurred on there rig or vehicle. Shitlbuffout is :pokinit: will buff out as in the :pokinit: being the damage will buff as in painted over cleaned polished or "buffed" out.

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
i wouldnt be too worried about it i drove mine every day for a tear and a half only got pulled over once and never got a ticket

lol.... you dont live round here.... they actually take a tape measure to make sure your mud flaps are not to far from the ground (32" i think)....

Tillamook, OR