Author Topic: Which first suspension then dual caes  (Read 2415 times)

desrodunes1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
Which first suspension then dual caes
« on: Jun 03, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »
Just picked up an 85 extra cab with a 3" body lift on 33's and with 4:88's and was wondering what the best route  I should take, either the dual t cases first or the lift (63's and RUF). The truck will be a trail, hunting/ minor crawler DD. I figured maybe the suspension lift first then the duals so I would have to only do the drive shafts once, another quest. would be when I do the duals do I just go to a single driveshaft in the rear instead of the split original and bearing one? thx for the help Mike

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Which first suspension then dual caes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
What size tires are your goal?  I'd suggest losing or at least lowering the body lift.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
I say keep your money in the drivetrain...  Suspension will come eventually anyway.  You can do alot to that stock suspension that will make it way better than stock without spending much at all.  You are right that ot would be good to do it all at once to save on the drivelines, but if you can only do one, get the duals.

And yes, single driveshaft.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
When I had my 85 Extended Cab I ran the 4-1/2 inch Super Lift springs with the stock push pull steering (I added an inch of Honda tie rod to the link) and it really performed well.  The front springs worked great and the rears didn't flex at all, but in Moab it climbed like a goat.  I ran 33 inch tires, 4.88 gears and a single 4.70 t-case.  The t-case gears were an amazing difference and duals is very similar with more options and a few more required mods.  A Detroit Truerac also worked great until I upgraded to an Aussie with Longfield front axles and hub gears.  The front end is still in my current 89 SAS 4Runner.

Cranky Crawler has an 84 Long Bed with duals and went to the single drivershaft configuration.  His wheelbase should be the same and it's working well for him.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

desrodunes1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
Getting some good feedback thx guys :biggthumpup:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »
From what you say you are going to do with it save your money on doing duals, do a single case 4.70:1. You'll get the reduction in low you'll need over the 2.28:1's and you won't have to change anything like driveshafts and such. Now with the $ you saved, you can still do a lift too. Then if later on you decide that you would like duals you can always add one in.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
I build suspension products and even I have to say go with the gearing first. Learn to drive it with the gearing first then get the suspension. 
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

desrodunes1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »
thx guys for the info, thinking gonna put dual T cases and get use to it then maybe a rear locker or elocker and maybe a limited slip front. whats the word on tru trac limited slip front?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
thx guys for the info, thinking gonna put dual T cases and get use to it then maybe a rear locker or elocker and maybe a limited slip front. whats the word on tru trac limited slip front?

I had a truetrac in my 85 pickup for several years before I upgraded to an Aussie when I added Longfield front axles.  It worked really well and would work well with a power brake when a front tire was in the air.  The majority of my wheeling was on the slickrock in Moab, but it did great in the Washington dirt as well.  It was far better than a front locker for driving on the street.

I'd suggest putting an Aussie or Detroil locker in the rear.  Unless you're driving it all a lot on slick roads you'll be fine and it'll save some coin and be more bullet proof.  I would probably do an Aussie in the rear if I didn't already have a Detroit.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
You'll regret the limited slip in either front or rear. Use the ARB in front you steering and knuckles will thank you for it.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

desrodunes1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
thx tacorunner I just figure it never hurts to get another opinion