Author Topic: Solid front axle making popping noise when turning?  (Read 9462 times)

93 tonka toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Solid front axle making popping noise when turning?
« on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »
I recently did the solid axle swap on my truck and have got about 1000 miles on it, my question is while turning like into driveway i here and feel this popping from some where in the front end, i checked torque on the leaf plate to axle bolts, and so i am wondering if any of you that have been around these axles might know what it is? I did take my time on the build and used the fish scale trick while doing the build so as far as i know that part is good, i have 5 inch lift springs and long fields and an ARB locker in the front, however i am still not true 4x4 due to not having the front shaft built yet, so obviously i have not had it wheeling yet or the locker engaged yet........ Give me some ideas thanks guys!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:dunno: did you use new bushings ??   take some pictures of the front axle and springs.

it could be the shackles are smacking the body mount when you turn  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
mine does the same thing since i but did my ruf, crossover steering and a long travel front driveshaft, i think it's the tie rod ends flipping over as you turn but i don't know for sure.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
My 80 made that sound when turning  never had an issue, checked everything and couldn't find the cause. Now even though it was an IFS I noticed a similar noise when turning on my 86, come to find out that one of my hubs was not disengaging and my locker was popping open and closed all the time.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
mine pops too when I turn.  hasnt broke yet   :talkingn:
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
mine does the same thing since i but did my ruf, crossover steering and a long travel front driveshaft, i think it's the tie rod ends flipping over as you turn but i don't know for sure.
This is exactly what it is.  Mine popped for a long time.  Imo it has to do with the tie rod adjustment.  I toed mine in a tad more and it stopped it from happening.

93 tonka toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
i will look into the tie rod ends, i guess my biggest fear was something in the hub/spindle, now let me ask this, when the tie rods flip over can you feel the whole truck shift a little, like its giving away some?
so i also thought maybe its the leafs shifting some, but i don't know. i need to tear into it some more.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
ya it does it in a series of 2 or 3 and it kinda clunks and you can feel it in your steering wheel.

motoracer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 319
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
mine did the same thing when i did my sas. could hear it and feel it tru the floorboard. mine was the springs popoing drove me crazy. i put a clamp on the spring near the shackles to keep the spring from sliding  from side to side. it stoped the poping and  it really didnt heart my flex.
pie

93 tonka toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
what kind of spring did you put on it

supermon408

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
im getting the same popping noise but i do not know where its comin from.. I checked everything but cannot figure it out..

supermon408

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
i have a 85 4runner with the stock striaght axle.. I was thinkin it may be the sterring?

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
 check your tie rods, ih they're tweeked or off set.....they pop.
Samething happened to me. Readjusted tie rod ends and stop

93 tonka toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
thanks guys, i have been so busy i haven't had time to peak but i will give you updates if i find something out