Author Topic: Mysterious popping noise when turning / front bumper fab  (Read 10102 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Do you have clamp's on your front leaf springs? If you do is there a small gap between the spring and the clamp? If there is look at it, note the gap then go turn the wheel till it pop's, once it pops go look at the clamp again and see if it is now touching the spring. If you have a clamp and your leaf's shift a bit I am almost willing to bet money that it is that clamp hitting the springs causing the pop. If you have a helper have them turn the wheel while you watch the springs. Hope this helps.

Kevin
By golly I think that is it.  Anyway of fixing this?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

snowplow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Aug '06
  • smoke tires not drugs
    • View Profile
I run all greasable shackle bolts with new poly allpro bushings and I never hear anything. Id try them because as said above some if not all poly is very sticky/chalky. From the porche comment it sounds like it may be your problem. If you have a nice Drillpress or a good machine shop have them drill and tap your bolts because I paid about 75$ for my 12 bolts.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure its the clamp.  There is a worn spot from the spring hitting it when they shift...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
my 85 pu does the same. i'm going to change all the bushings and tell yah what happens.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Today I noticed that on the drivers side the end of the spring with the shackle sometimes hits the frame when compressed...  I'm not sure if there is a way to fix that or not...  Maybe my springs are just finally getting broken in...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
This popping noise is driving me crazy!  Now it also does it going straight.  When the front leaf springs flex.  It seems to be comming from the springs themselves.  From the little brackets that keep them from sliding apart... 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-