Author Topic: toyota makes noise when turning  (Read 4967 times)

chachilla

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
toyota makes noise when turning
« on: Jun 06, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
I have a 1980 Toyota pickup and it makes noise in 4wd when making any turns going forward. It sounds kinda like a chatter, maybe grinding noise and i only have to turn the wheel a little bit for it to happen when driving. It doesn't make any noise when in 2wd and it doesn't make any noise in 4wd when backing up and turning. I can drive in a straight line fine but as soon as i turn left or right it makes the noise. Its hard to tell were it is coming from cause I'm in the cab and it sounds like it might be some were by the front axel. i also locked one side at a time and drove but no noise. as soon as both lockers are locked then drive off and turn it does it .I put the truck on a lift with all 4 wheels off the ground. locked the hubs and tried to reproduce the sound but it was quiet. i don't have a clue whats going on please help any. Ty

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: toyota makes noise when turning
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
Sounds to me like your Birfield joints are worn out. When was the last time the front end was serviced? Here is a link for servicing the front axle.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleTech/index.shtml
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2008, 09:19:07 PM »
OOPS  :yesnod:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2008, 08:47:38 PM »
The front axel hasnt been serviced at all sence ive owned the truck (2 years) except for the gear oil change and the owner that had the truck before me didnt do any thing to the truck. Thanks for the link. It will help out alot .

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »
could be binding in 4WD on the road when turning....well, it will bind up when turning.
A good rebuild is always nice to sort out any problems that might be their....cracked birf, worn bearings, replace inner seals
If everything checks out...Well now you have a fresh front end. lol
I had a chattering sound...going straight...and could not turn right. I broke the cage in the birf, split the birf and stripped the splines. But that was Rock crawling.

Mike

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »
Nice carnage!

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
How long should it take to rebuild the front end and about how much for the parts to do so? Just trying to figure out if its better for me to try and pay a shop to do it. Which brings me up to my next queston of what is a reasonable price to have a shop do the work....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
How long should it take to rebuild the front end and about how much for the parts to do so? Just trying to figure out if its better for me to try and pay a shop to do it. Which brings me up to my next queston of what is a reasonable price to have a shop do the work....
dude, do it yourself, you only need simple hand tools, and a 54mm socket, but  you can get the 54mm spindle socket at any good  tool place

my first thought was a busted  locker,  but if you never been in it you dont know what it has
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
The 4wd worked fine on the truck 6-8 mounths ago, but i stoped wheeling cuase the tranny was going bad and i didnt have secound gear. I didnt want to make the tranny worse. Now i took the l43 out last week and put the l52 in. I modified the output shaft that comes out the transfer case to bolt it up to the tranny. Every thing went together nicely. I was happy to get the new tranny in. ( first time doing something like that ) So right after that i put the truck into 4wd and it makes that noise which it didnt do even with the bad tranny. I stoped wheeling it cuase of the tranny. The front axel is all 1980 stock and it worked great before. I realy want to rebuild the front axel but am not sure if it is out of my skill level. So ive been researching it online to see exactly what needs to be done to rebuild the front axel...

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
If you can replace that l43 with the new trans, then rebuilding your front axle isnt out of your skill level.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
I rebuilt my axle last summer, and it was the first major thing I did to the drivetrain of my truck (or any truck) besides swapping out motors in it. I am sure you can handle it, as long as you have the FSM to follow. It isn't really hard, it is just messy. It can be done in a day if you have a good work ethic. It took me 3 weeks though due to working outside and it was always raining. About the hardest part is probably setting the bearing drag, but if you have a pull scale it is pretty simple. The rest is just cleaning and painting if you wish to paint stuff. If there is the possibility of a broken birfield, you NEED to pull it apart because that broken birfield can possibly jam into your knuckle bearings and mess with your steering and be VERY dangerous. I reccomend the Marlin rebuild kit w/ wheel bearings (a good idea to replace these while you have it torn apart) and the Marlin heavy duty inner axle seals. It is a high quality kit with high quality bearings and those HD inner axle seals cannot be beat. Also, don't throw ANYTHING out until you are done, because you never know when you might need to check something out or reuse an old part that you thought was garbage. I hope this helps, good luck :thumbs:

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
Word of warning: If you break a Birfield on the trail do not keep driving. Pull off the trail and tear it down. Not only will a broken Birf tear up your axle housing but it can and will lock your steering up even in 2-WD. The broken pieces can jam between the knuckle and the ball, or pieces can get into your trunion bearings and tear them up. If you do not have a spare with you to replace it, take the broken one out along with the axle and put it back together without a Birf or axle it will drive fine. If you have a locker in front you will still have 3-WD as long as you have a locker in the back. There was a few times I had to do that, just becareful and pick the easy lines so you do not blow the other Birf. When I was running stock Birfs, I carried two and a long and short side axle.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
Thanks oops, i didnt know that it could do that and sounds perty scarry if it happens at a high speed. Im glad you filled me in with that info. I think when i get a few bucks together i plan on getting some longfields.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
yes  when i busted my first birf  i could only go to the right and almost straight,  so making a left took  doing like a 20 point turn :nerv:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
on second thought he needs a front driveshaft cv rebuild kit

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
yep, i was told by a 4x4 shop that i need a repair kit for the front drive shaft cv join for about $530 . I said ill pass and now am looking for a drive shaft...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »
cv kit at napa is like $25

they were gonna make $500 profit

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »
i new they wanted to rape me cause of the price. I called two dealer ships for a price quote on just a new drive shaft before i posted any thing and they said at one place was $209 and the other wanted $750 and there about 10 miles apart.

chachilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
by any chance you know the part # to the kit i need?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
no but i pm'ed the guy  that knows,  it might be tomorrow befor he gets it but  hang tight