Author Topic: Anyone running an electric fan to cool AC?  (Read 5437 times)

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Anyone running an electric fan to cool AC?
« on: Jun 30, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »
85 4runner, converted to new refrigerant. Everything is good to go, had it checked out by a reputable shop. Around town the AC just isn't cutting it.

Is anyone running an electric fan in front of the radiator and the condenser? I was thinking that if around town I could have an electric fan pushing air through the condenser that I'd be able to have much cooler AC.

Anyone know how to mount one up and modify the front grill to fit?

Thanks! Its getting hot out here!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Anyone running an electric fan to cool AC?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Did you change the condenser?

The old style serpentine (R12) condensers aren't efficient enough for R134a (and too restrictive).

You really need a parrallel flow condenser if you've gone to R134a.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

studentwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
Did you change the condenser?

The old style serpentine (R12) condensers aren't efficient enough for R134a (and too restrictive).

You really need a parrallel flow condenser if you've gone to R134a.

No, the condenser is stock. Thats a great idea. Is there a new condenser for R134a that is a direct bolt in? (name, part number, etc??)

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »
I use to use a set up from Flex-lite called the "blackjack". It comes with all of the hardware and sensors. I had it in my 83 toy with a/c. When it worked, it worked great. It pulled plenty of air. The design is flawed a bit. They put the circuit board down in the middle of the main part of the heat being drawn from the radiator. It failed on me 4 times and finally got my money back. If they had relocated the board where it wouldn't over heat it would be great. I don't understand why they wont re-design it. I'd love to have an electric fan back again. I installed the mechanical fan back in for now. I did run across another build thread that the guy is using a 16" slimline puller. It has the sensor and board located anywhere you want. He got it from summit racing. I am still using r-12. It's a few degrees colder and more expensive but I think it's worth it.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

studentwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
I use to use a set up from Flex-lite called the "blackjack". It comes with all of the hardware and sensors. I had it in my 83 toy with a/c. When it worked, it worked great. It pulled plenty of air. The design is flawed a bit. They put the circuit board down in the middle of the main part of the heat being drawn from the radiator. It failed on me 4 times and finally got my money back. If they had relocated the board where it wouldn't over heat it would be great. I don't understand why they wont re-design it. I'd love to have an electric fan back again. I installed the mechanical fan back in for now. I did run across another build thread that the guy is using a 16" slimline puller. It has the sensor and board located anywhere you want. He got it from summit racing. I am still using r-12. It's a few degrees colder and more expensive but I think it's worth it.

I'm going to keep the stock mechanical fan. My idea is to add an electric fan in front of the condenser and behind the grill in order to push air through the condenser while I'm at low speeds around town/in traffic. So I'll have an electric fan to cool the AC and the mechanical to cool the engine.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
you are then going to need to get a huge electrical fan, brecause that will be blocking the airflow of wind force driving through to the mechanical fan.... so it better be able to move enough air do offest it blocking some of the natural pressurized air from driving
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »
you are then going to need to get a huge electrical fan, brecause that will be blocking the airflow of wind force driving through to the mechanical fan.... so it better be able to move enough air do offest it blocking some of the natural pressurized air from driving

I agree.....  My mechanical fan does just fine. I did throw away the aftermarket (autozone) one though. I bought an rv clutch from the dealer and swapped over the fan. Runs cool but, on the freeway at 65-75 mph with the air on with AZ temps up in the 100's it does run a little warm. I may step up to a 3 core radiator http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60 and hope that it brings the temp down just a bit. I like the temp guage to run right down the middle. This whole time the a/c is ice cold. I did bump the idle up solonoid to 1k rpm when in stop and go traffic so that the fan is pulling the air good and plenty.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
run some windshiled squirters  down to the grill  for the time being and give it a shot now and then in town to help shed heat.
i am also doing this and ot works good.

good the hear  im gonna find some r12 im not converting . to many problems.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
No, the condenser is stock. Thats a great idea. Is there a new condenser for R134a that is a direct bolt in? (name, part number, etc??)

I haven't found one.

Last time my AC wasn't working too good, I started to look, but found a can of R12 (which fixed the problem) and quit looking............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

studentwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I'll look into a larger condenser and post if I find anything. As well, I like the idea of running my windshield squirters to spray water on the condesner. I think it is time for a new fan clutch too, mine just seems to just drag but never kick in.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:37:34 PM »
Not necessarily, the 2nd gen 4-Runners(two that I know of) have the same clutch fan and run an electric fan in front of the A/C condenser.

OP.  Make sure to wire up the fan as a pusher and not puller.

If you decide to install a new condenser, have a shop drain the R134, that stuff is toxic, tumors on the baby makers toxic :yikes:.  I originally converted my '90 to R134, but have since gone w/a product called Maxi-cool.  It is a propane based refrigerant and cools almost as well as freon.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

aiza22

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »
I never yet experience running an electric fan in front of the radiator and the condenser? And I never thought that if around town I could have an electric fan pushing air through the condenser that I'd be able to have much cooler AC. I think that is a very weird things.

ater8coats

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since May '06
  • pics soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
propane based???

sounds explosive!!!!

The reason that auto manufactures got rid of R-12 is because it destroyed the ozone layer!!!
I have never heard that R-134a is toxic, but it is highly recommended to have a qualified shop evacuate the system!!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
Propane has long been used as a refrigerant, and was used long before r12 w/o issues.  There also isn't that much actual propane in the cans, and IIRC I only used two of the cans to fill the system.  If it was to leak out during an impact it would be so quick it wouldn't be an issue, and would/should be able to detect it if it leaked into the cab, whereas there isn't a smell w/R134.

The report I read about testicle tumors was in a study done w/rats, so the levels used may be more determinant than simple exposure, but it is hazardous and can be deadly if you inhale the gas.

Actually IIRC R134 is also being discontinued since it also contains ozone depleting properties.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

ater8coats

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since May '06
  • pics soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »
Propane has long been used as a refrigerant, and was used long before r12 w/o issues.  There also isn't that much actual propane in the cans, and IIRC I only used two of the cans to fill the system.  If it was to leak out during an impact it would be so quick it wouldn't be an issue, and would/should be able to detect it if it leaked into the cab, whereas there isn't a smell w/R134.

The report I read about testicle tumors was in a study done w/rats, so the levels used may be more determinant than simple exposure, but it is hazardous and can be deadly if you inhale the gas.

Actually IIRC R134 is also being discontinued since it also contains ozone depleting properties.

:bowdown:

I didn't know that r-134a was being discontinued

coryc85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »
You can get the parallel flow condensers here http://www.ackits.com/c/Parallel/Parallel+Flow+Condensers+-+Aluminum.html

I am just about ready to get my AC running again and I am torn with the same question, do I find a fan for the stock condenser or should I upgrade to the parallel flow?  As someone else mentioned, the 2nd Gen runners have a pusher fan for the ac.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »
That's a nice link. I'm putting it on my favs in case I need it later.