Author Topic: Anyone Running a electric fan on there 22re and whats the gains and losses?  (Read 32426 times)

19864runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Mar '11
  • 35s and a lift kit how stuck can you get?
    • View Profile
the Electric fan is made by flex-i lite

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
an electric fan does not gain you any horsepower. IMO it makes more wires and adds more parts, which in turn makes things more unreliable.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I ran both a belt driven and electric on one of my trucks, helped out alot on those hot days on the trail keep things cool under the hood.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
You should add a manual switch to turn it off and on too, so deep water crossings it wont break.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
an electric fan does not gain you any horsepower. IMO it makes more wires and adds more parts, which in turn makes things more unreliable.

Why would you not gain horsepower?  Replacing the
Mechanical fan with an electric would take strain off of the motor.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
you do gain hp with the less drag on the motor lige 2 or 3 hp with the 22re every little bit helps also by removing the mechanical fan your water pump will last longer in theory bc there isnt that drag on the bering any more...if you do remove it make sure when you put washers on the pully they weigh the same or the exact opposite will happen and the pump pully will be un ballanced and cause it to go out

another gain is the fact like jerry said you can shut it off so it doesnt break and spray water everywhere when crossing water or leave it on after you shut the rig off to cool your coolant faster

negatively not much other than the fact you have to worry about the electric componants fgoing out on the trail i carried my mechanical fan with me just in cae saved me peace of mind knowing if it did go bad i would make it home with out overheating :thumbs:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
well the 22r motors run normally colder than most cars, atleast my and my instructors truck do. WOuld be nice to keep it off during winter days

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
well the 22r motors run normally colder than most cars, atleast my and my instructors truck do. WOuld be nice to keep it off during winter days

That's what the clutch the fan attaches to is for!! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
That's what the clutch the fan attaches to is for!!  

fan still spins

also you only gain what you lost in hp due to the drag of the fan

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
It spins do to the internal friction, but it doesnt pull air.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I would buy 2 electric fans, have one as back up, and instead of worrying about having to pay attention to the temperature to turn on the fan manually, just drop the temp sensor in the coolant, so it automatically turns on when needed.  This way you can just enjoy driving, instead of watching the temp.  My buddy did this, and he has been fine on trails.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
I have installed 3 of these fans on 22re engines (2 pick ups & 4runner). You won't notice anything major, but what I did noticed is a slightly smoother idle and slightly smoother acceleration. Also you may see a very small improvement in fuel milage. I didn't check my before & after but in theory it should get better milage. I have been running these fans (flex-o-lite black magic) for 8 years. I have had one fan controller go out, so I do carry a spare, but it is easy to bypass. I have broken 2 fan blades. One was my fault and the other snapped a few blades off when rockcrawling and the body flexed enough to cause the blades to hit the bolt coming off the fan belt tensioner. I cut down the bolt, problem solved. You will not gain any horsepower, but you will free up some horsepower due to less rotating mass and drag on the engine. Wirring the fan is pretty strait forward if you have basic wirring skills, and I do recommend installing a manual override switch for water crossings or when working on the engine.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Simple physics, you alternator is spun by the engine, if you demand more power from it, it creates more drag on the engine. Elec fans are commonly thought to give more hp, but its a fable, please research, hell call nascar and ask them. The only way to gain more power by an elec fan is to run it straight off its on power supply. THERE IS A HUGE THREAD ON PIRATE ABOUT THIS.

They are nice to be able to turn off for water crossing, or to run a pusher to help though. Just they DO NOT give any more power, please before ppl bash what I am saying, research and give facts to support your claim that it adds power, dont just post saying you are a master mechanic of years and years. This is simple physics.

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Spark you are right to a degree . It will not add HP  but what it can do is free up some usable HP     same thing goes for a Header or what ever else  .

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
No, please read he thread, the elctric gurus said it actualy takes MORE to push the elec fan, than the stock clutch. This is not coming from me, its coming from guys that do it for a living, and have degress and years and years f exp.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
All you do is push your alt harder and burn it out quicker. it doesnt free up any HP instead it just puts a much larger load on your entire electrical system which in turn.. guess what ! requires power from your motor ! if you have the ability to run a clutch fan its really the best way with a proper shroud. Electric fans are nice and i will be running one but i have the battery to do so (1300+ CCA and 1700 CA's) but if i didnt i wouldnt think about running one due to that fact.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
I think it depends on the fan and the install, I can definetly tell that i have freed up some usable HP.  I have the ford taurus fan but i think that the diffrence lies in the way you power and run it. I have a DCcontrols moule that runs the fan and it has a slow start so no big drain on the battery or alt.  Before with mechanical fan going up 4lane max was 50 in third now with the efan i can actually keep accelerating on other hills too i notice. so for me the efan has inproved my performance. its way quiter too. I wont go back. total cost for fan was 40.oo and the control was the exspencive part but well worth it.

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
spark is right about the more power you use the more drag from the alt but in my case i feel i gained some.  before when the clutch would engadge going up the 4lane it would really bog the engine. like i said this is in my case and may have more to do with the soft start feature.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Simple Physics, yes. Removing the mechanical fan and fan clutch reduces the amount of rotating mass therefore reducing the amount of power the engine uses to turn, which increases the amount of power going to the rear wheels. The engine doesn't put out any more power just more gets put to the drivetrain. Yes the alternator will have to work a little harder and will use up some of the horsepower that was freed up by removing the mechanical fan, but not all of it. The amount of power freed up by removing the mechanical fan will very by vehicle, also will the power taken up by the alternator. The only way to find out for each vehicle the power gain/loss will be to dyno test before & after install. All vehicles I have added electric fans to I have felt a slight increase in power to the rear wheels, but don't have dyno results to prove it. Like I said before the results will vary by vehicle, but I don't think an alternator powering an electric fan will take up more power than a mechanical fan. Also an electric fan doesn't run all the time, it will cycle on & off with engine temp. When the vehicle is up to speed the fan won't turn on because there is an enough air flow through the radiator to cool the engine. With a mechanical fan it is always turning even if the clutch is not engaged you still have a rotating mass that uses up power. Also the added amps the alternator has to put out won't burn out an alternator any quicker than adding a stereo & some offroad lights so I don't think that is a problem. Battery cranking amps won't have anything to do with the fan because the alternator will be powering the fan. Also I do agree with people doing there research. Anyone can say they are a rocket scientist on the internet. My  :twocents:
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
A fan clutch, if functioning properly, should put almost 0 drag on the motor when it does not need it. At speed on the freeway, the wind is turning it, so that doesnt matter. Please read the thread on PBB, ill try and find a link for you guys. Its a really good read.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Yes, a fan clutch has less drag when not needed, but still has some drag and is rotating mass that the engine has to use some power to turn all the time, where an electric fan when off uses no power and when on uses very little.

Like a supercharger uses some power to turn it, but makes more power overall. An electric fan uses less power overall than a mechanical fan.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Don't knock it tell you've tried it. Swap my electric fan in to your truck and go for a spin and tell me what you think. I think you'll like it.

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
thats what i say, I think that the clutch is just not as acurate and is on more that not on a really hot day going up hill in third with the revs up... i think like i said before its just going to matter on the car and install.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I have two flex-lite fans on my 83, just my  :twocents:, don't care what they say on pbb (not looking to start or get involed in any  :boxing: ) just going from I see on my truck. 1 is auto, 1 is on a switch. the auto 1 hardly ever comes on. hot day at a long light, sure. driving around town normal,  hardly ever. less on=less power draw.
from where ever it's coming from. just my  :twocents: :smooch:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

19864runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Mar '11
  • 35s and a lift kit how stuck can you get?
    • View Profile
got the electric fan installed today but the guy wired it so its on all the time when you turn the key plus has a on and off switch

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Not much of an issue, that s how I wired mine up in my '90 10yrs 13yrs ago, and I haven't had any issues with it set-up that way.  The last time I had it at the dealer, a tech thought that my 3.0 might run too cold with the fan on constantly, but my gauges show that it is only running a little cooler. 

If you expect to do water crossings with it, you could put in a ground interrupt switch under the hood.  This way you can turn it off to cross water, and not have to worry about it being accidentally turned off in the cab.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
got the electric fan installed today but the guy wired it so its on all the time when you turn the key plus has a on and off switch
with it set up like that I think you'd be better off with the stock fan. less power drain. running full time it will always pull power from the alt.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kevin_david_k

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile