Author Topic: SKY or Marlin  (Read 2683 times)

Red_toy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
SKY or Marlin
« on: Aug 05, 2007, 05:22:23 AM »
OK, just found this site and now I want to put a question out there.   I have my tires now (PIT BULL ROCKER 37") and now it is time for the SAS. SKY MFG or Marlin crawler What is preferred? What is better? SKY is cheaper and gets me a couple more parts and pieces but I want to know what everyone thinks.
If the person next to you at the stop light rolls up the windows and locks the doors, support their view of life by snarling at them.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: SKY or Marlin
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2007, 06:02:10 AM »
i think you will find Marlins kit  has  a little more beef  to the components
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Red_toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
Thank you for your opinion. Looking at the 2 kits on line it looks to me as though SKYS might be stronger in design. They also include diff armor and an axle truss for about $150.00 less. Only want to do this once and I want to do it RIGHT the first time. I am sure you know what I mean.
If the person next to you at the stop light rolls up the windows and locks the doors, support their view of life by snarling at them.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:51:48 AM »
skys crossmember is actually a c hannel design and not fully boxed

however, i bet the difference in strength is negligible... i have never seen anyone tear up either one
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »
Fully boxed is stronger than c-channel, that's why Toyota frames hold up better than Jeeps.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2007, 09:11:53 AM »
buy what you want..  they are both great products
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Red_toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »
Thank You, I think I am going with the SKY kit so the entire buildup will be with the same co. Is the faqct that I am using an 81 fron axle going to hurt me in anyway? I just happened to have one laying around and I did not want to try and find one from an 84 or 85 like everyone recomends. I am going to put the birfield elim. kit in it from Sky also.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »
the 81 axle is fine.. they dont bend where the truss is often. they bend out at the knuckles.. dont bother with the birf  kit.. just get some nice upgraded one from marlin or longfield..  other than that yer on the right track.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:30:46 AM »
I agree, they are both a great product.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »
whoa! its ironclad! hqavent seen him in ages.... i would skip the birf eliminator kit, heard too many stories about how they are weaker as they neck down...

i would get bobby long's longfields
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Red_toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2007, 11:24:27 AM »
I want to thank yo guys for the comments. I would have bought the birf. elim. kit and when it broke I would have been psssssd. any other suggestions on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »
get the knuckle ball brace kit.. they are little tabs basicly that you weld onto your axle to help with the balls bending.. they are nice to have. dunno if marlin sells them but i think frontrange offroad does. other than that you are pretty much set
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:00:02 PM »
you will be just fine with that 81 axle, you can buy the armor for it from marlin for pretty cheap.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

werty

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Sep '03
  • i need a martin crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
get the knuckle ball brace kit.. they are little tabs basicly that you weld onto your axle to help with the balls bending.. they are nice to have. dunno if marlin sells them but i think frontrange offroad does. other than that you are pretty much set
Marlins ball kit is what I got. Best price for everything you get with the kit. Only thing you mite run into is the bolts for the shocks mite be a little short. A little grinding to clearance the top gussets for the outer dust shields.

See the D.S. lower gusset thats where Dr Smash did a little fine tuning with a hammer cause of the lower bracing.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
what i did onmy dads 4runner was put on marlins sas kit but i used skys front hanger cause to me it looked stronger
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
i think you will find Marlins kit  has  a little more beef  to the components
i would disagree with that. I have some Marlin and some Sky parts on my truck. I even have some (extra) parts that are exactly the same from both companies. Some Sky parts are beefier than the Marlin and some Marlin parts are beefier than the sky. Both are nice product lines but some are better than others from each company.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
I have heard reports on sky's front cross-member flexing and bending under extreme situations.  I don't like the just slide the crossmember forward till you get the desired spring location.  Marlin has his holes offset so you just flip it around to get what you want!

Sky has some nice stuff.  I like the front hub spacer, and the rear disc brake conversion they got! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

havik

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 737
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »
i have dealt with all the big Toyota offroad manufactures and marlin has never let me down. they have cj. and cj kicks the arse. i have dealt with sky before and their service was not the best.(when i called the shop i had a few questions about some of their parts. the sales man on the phone had no answerers) not acceptable in my book. look at Sky's front shock hoop then look at marlins shock hoop. you cant beat marlins customer service. as for Toyota rock crawling who has made a bigger impact than marlin??? look at marlins shackles then look at Sky's shackles. marlins are plated not going to rust Sky's you have to paint.
in my opinion i would rather spend the extra money on unbeatable customer service and a American company that sets the bar.
got another 85 runner. build coming soon!!

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »
As far as the '81 axle goes, the vented rotors from the kit may not bolt up: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/rotors.htm
Marlin says '81 had the old style bolt pattern while Pirate says that '81 had the new style bolt pattern:
-From Pirates FAQ-
Brake Rotor Swap – Vented Front

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

79-80 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto hub with 6 bolts and the wheel studs are pressed into the hub only. For Land Cruiser vented brake swap you must use 79-80 LC rotors.
81-85 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto the hub with 2 bolts and the wheel studs are prasses through the hub and is pressed into the rotor. For the Land Cruiser vented rotor swap you must use 81+ LC rotors. Uses Toyota 90942-02053, Dorman #610-264 or Napa 641-3126 wheel studs.

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:51:10 PM »
i have dealt with all the big Toyota offroad manufactures and marlin has never let me down. they have cj. and cj kicks the arse. i have dealt with sky before and their service was not the best.(when i called the shop i had a few questions about some of their parts. the sales man on the phone had no answerers) not acceptable in my book. look at Sky's front shock hoop then look at marlins shock hoop. you cant beat marlins customer service. as for Toyota rock crawling who has made a bigger impact than marlin??? look at marlins shackles then look at Sky's shackles. marlins are plated not going to rust Sky's you have to paint.
in my opinion i would rather spend the extra money on unbeatable customer service and a American company that sets the bar.
Sky  ??   or Marlin??

hmm  :think:  whos  forum is this  :dunno:

what forum  is there night or day  with Members  who can help  with whatever  happens??

kinda like THIS GUY  ---> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35740.msg421756#msg421756
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2007, 09:14:42 PM »
get what you want.  it is your truck.  both are good companies with good products.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:48:17 PM »
Only issues I've heard of with sky is just as has been said, front crossmember is weaker.  Some of their stuff is definately beefy and well designed.  Only problem I have with them is the selling of TG parts.  If I buy anything from them and don't know it's theirs I'd have to ask first.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
Only issues I've heard of with sky is just as has been said, front crossmember is weaker.

yeah i dont like the design. im not that good of a driver so i would bend it hitting a rock or something

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Red_toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:19:05 AM »
Sorry I have not been around. I was cutting on the truck all day yesterday. All I have to do now is wait for my parts to come in to rebuild the front axle and I will order a sas kit and see where it goes from there. I also bought everything I need for the rear axle and will be tearing into it this week Gears, seals, Longfields, lockers, you know the drill.
Thanks again for all the comments.