Author Topic: Jackstand horror stories? -> pulling out the 3rd...  (Read 2977 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Jackstand horror stories? -> pulling out the 3rd...
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »
I'm going to be swapping out gears in my truck.
This means I'm jacking it up, and pulling the rear axles.  I hear they can offer resistance.

I'm wondering about it - no brakes on front, truck on jack stands - and me yanking on the axles.

Ever hear of someone yanking too hard and pulling the truck off jackstands?
I'm thinking I'll dig a couple of holes for my front tires to make it solid front to back, but what about the side to side action when I'm pulling on the axles?

Have jackstands ever failed?  Cheap ones ever fail?  Any horror stories out there?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
im sure jacks have failed.... but i mean dont get overzealous, if its binding find the cause of the binding... you can tell or should be able to tell if your truck is about to fall....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TexJeff87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Dec '05
  • I wheel in my yard...
    • View Profile
If they don't just come right out then there is something wrong. :nonono: Should take pretty much zero effort. Block the front wheels.... :thumbs:
grease under 'ma nails....
formerly a cherry sas'd 87 runner, now an assortment of dents
35's, lockers, and a canback

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
oh yeah, ive done this... there pretty much is almost no effort involved, they come out pretty easily... jsut unbolt the 4 bolts behind the drum, and tug.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I also had no problem. I don't remember it being a big deal.
Time to go wheelin!

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Excellent news.  Thanks boys.

I don't know where I heard it, but for some reason - in my brain - I had this picture of me pulling like hell on them and having the truck go sideways off the jackstands.

Good to hear.  The bolts on the diff turned easily.  I guess the hardest part will be while sitting underneath it, pulling out the 3rd.  How heavy ya'll think it is - 50 pounds?

Glad I posted this.  Makes me feel less paranoid.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Excellent news.  Thanks boys.

I don't know where I heard it, but for some reason - in my brain - I had this picture of me pulling like hell on them and having the truck go sideways off the jackstands.

Good to hear.  The bolts on the diff turned easily.  I guess the hardest part will be while sitting underneath it, pulling out the 3rd.  How heavy ya'll think it is - 50 pounds?

Glad I posted this.  Makes me feel less paranoid.

63 pounds

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Blaze

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I doubt it mine was on four jackstands when changing to Dana 60's. They are the 6 ton stands right  ????

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
I'm going to be swapping out gears in my truck.
This means I'm jacking it up, and pulling the rear axles.  I hear they can offer resistance.

I'm wondering about it - no brakes on front, truck on jack stands - and me yanking on the axles.

Ever hear of someone yanking too hard and pulling the truck off jackstands?
I'm thinking I'll dig a couple of holes for my front tires to make it solid front to back, but what about the side to side action when I'm pulling on the axles?

Have jackstands ever failed?  Cheap ones ever fail?  Any horror stories out there?
i had one fail, a car fall on me, almost killed me. fractured my skull, bone shareds cut into brain tissue. i was in a coma for 3 weeks. it kicked my ass. i now have an aluminum plate in the back of my head 2x4 inch. also the body seam on the bottom of the car cut me from my left shoulder to my right hip. bad news bears.  long story short, make sure you are working on concrete ar asphalt or something like that, no gravel

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
I had this picture of me pulling like hell on them and having the truck go sideways off the jackstands.
Just put the stands as close as you can to the backing plates leaving enough room to work. You shouldn't have a problem  :thumbs:  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Jesus Christ, Dan!  Oh my lord, I'm sorry to hear of that.
I'll do it on the pavement instead of the gravel I had intended on prior to your post.

Scary chit right there.

The jackstands I have are the crapiest you can buy.  I got 2 of them, along with a jack - for $20 total at Kragen.  One is bent, so I was actually going to have one on and then the jack for the other side.

After reading all this, I'm gonna take another trip to the store and spend $40 on some stands.

Thanks again, fellas.

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
When pulling the axles out. Don't forget to disconnect the brake lines and E-brake....along with the 4 bolts on the back side. they should slide right out with little effort. The third aside from the nuts holding them on. I left the top one on a few threads. I did have to bang on it a few times. It was a virgin third that was on for 27 years. once it was freed up. I removed the last bolt. Takes a little muscle not to drop it. Aside from the jack stands. I place the tires under the truck...one on each side so that if it did fall. I would have a chance to live and not be totally crushed by my Toyota.
Mike

Yota Tony

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Place you tires under the frame rails of the truck so that way if it does fall it will land on the tires and hopefully not crush you.
Anthony

Looking For 82-83 Hilux - Must Be 5spd, able to run and drive, Square headlights and no rust!
82 Build - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31283 - Dead

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i dotn get why everyone says to disconnect the brake lines and the ebrake, i didnt when i did mine, and we swapped out the third member jsut fine

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i dotn get why everyone says to disconnect the brake lines and the ebrake, i didnt when i did mine, and we swapped out the third member jsut fine

It makes it easier.  A lot of people slide the axles all the way out, not taking off the brake lines makes you leave the axle hanging out of the housing.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
I did what everyone said.  I actually had the idea of putting the tires under the rails to begin with(excellent thing to do).

Axles came out easily.  Third required a little body position to ensure a smooth removal and install.

I really don't see how it's possible to NOT disconnect the brake lines.  You gotta pull em out at least a few inches, and those lines don't stretch to both sides out.  ?

Anyway - got it done with no problem.  Now I got 4 wheel drive and it burns rubber with 35s.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
What gears are you running?
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
It makes it easier.  A lot of people slide the axles all the way out, not taking off the brake lines makes you leave the axle hanging out of the housing.

i had the axles with wheels and tires still attached jsut hang for a couple minutes.... no problems.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i had the axles with wheels and tires still attached jsut hang for a couple minutes.... no problems.....

yeah, I figured that.  Its just easier to disconnect them, and some brake lines won't stretch that far (mine won't)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent