Author Topic: Two Stories  (Read 1363 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Two Stories
« on: Aug 16, 2005, 07:18:54 AM »
Story 1
I took my 85 truck into the Toyota dealer last week for an oil change and a transmission service and they lifted the truck with the pinch welds under the cab and damaged them on both sides.  I noticed the damage on Sunday when I washed the truck so I took it back to the dealer yesterday (also purchased wiper blades) and had them take a look so it didn't happen again.  The service manager took a look and never considered that it didn't happen in his shop and said that normally he would sent it out to be repaired.  I told him that due to rust it probably couldn't be repaired so he gave me $200 in service credit.  I was happy with the outcome since my original intent was to simply make sure it didn't happen again or to my Tundra.

Story 1.5
As for the wiper blades, I had a guy from work (who is a mechanic and used to work at several dealers) tell me that the wiper blades from the dealers use better rubber and don't chatter on the glass.  The Toyota parts guy said that there was one brand that had a top model that was nearly the equal.  I just always have fit problems with the aftermarket stuff.

Story 2
I talked to my dad last night in Colorado and two weekends ago he went on a wheeling trip with a group of TJ's, some were Rubicons and some Rubicon Unlimiteds.  He is used to driving a full size fairly stock Chevy Blazer so getting the chance to drive a Rubicon in to Wheeler Lake was a cool treat for him.  He wasn't very impressed with the Jeeps mostly due to lack of ground clearance.  The low gears 4.0/4.10 didn't impress him, but I explained that my 4.70/4.88 combination that he as driven was lower so I wouldn't expect him to be impressed.  I also think that switching from his automatic to the manual took some of the edge off.  He said that it would idle anywhere that it didn't high center.  The owner of the truck he was driving had only had the truck wheeling once and wasn't comfortable driving the Wheeler Lake trail and wanted my dad to drive.  My dad said that it was much easier than when I drove my 85 in with 32" tires and a 3 inch lift, at the time it was one of the more difficult places I took my truck prior to gears and lockers.  Mostly I thought it was cool for him to get to drive a Rubicon until he got tired of it.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
Re: Two Stories
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2005, 01:26:29 PM »
I've used the Bosch wiper blades and not had them chatter until they were pretty tired. I've even used them on a Rain-X'd windshield with no chatter.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2005, 03:55:12 PM »
FWIW,

If you use Toyota wiper blades, the inserts are replaceable.  When the rubber squeege part wears out or tears, you can replace JUST the rubber for around $4ea. from the dealership.  No more fooling with those 2 tiny screws on the old wiper arms!

Just thought I'd pass that along.  In my opinion, that beats the hell outta $12ea. Bosch aftermarket junk anyday!

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2005, 11:18:38 PM »
Anybody seen the new willys version jeep. I seen one already lifted running 35mtr's coulda been 37's though. It looks sweet...for a jeep. I wonder what the drivetrain is. Some stouter axles and the 4.0 would be awsome.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork