Author Topic: anyone have trouble with there toyota starters?  (Read 2727 times)

4x4Haze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 337
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
anyone have trouble with there toyota starters?
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »
ive had two toyotas and i always seemed to have a problem with the starter cylanoid sticking after it got hot. and now in my crawler after running it for a while and everything warms up if i stall out or turn it off it just wont start until the truck cools down or i bang on it enough where it knocks itself loose, it sucks gettin stuck in a bad spot when the truck dies. so has anyone heard of this or hae any suggestions, all would be appreciated.  :help:  :confused:
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Sounds like you need a heat shield. Thats pretty common, not just for toyotas.

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
ive had two toyotas and i always seemed to have a problem with the starter cylanoid sticking after it got hot. and now in my crawler after running it for a while and everything warms up if i stall out or turn it off it just wont start until the truck cools down or i bang on it enough where it knocks itself loose, it sucks gettin stuck in a bad spot when the truck dies. so has anyone heard of this or hae any suggestions, all would be appreciated.  :help:  :confused:
my truck used to do it all the time  i took the cables off and cleaned them on both ends  so far  it works  everytime

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
never happened  to me :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
had it happen once in a stream, stalled out almost out of the hole, and the water was comming over the tailgate!!! took about 2 minutes to get her started again,luckily i was already halfway out and just mobbed right out of it!!  bout two weeks later the starter was totally gone!! just swapped it out for the 89 and never had anymore trouble!!   :dunno:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
yeah ive gone through 3 starters with this truck so maby ill try a heat shield or something
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Where are you getting the starters from?  Are you getting them from Toyota or are ya getting a rebuild toyota starter from the local parts house?  The general consensus on the board is you don't get them from the parts house!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
yeah ive been gettin rebuilt ones from like kragen and auto zone, ill go to the dealer and see if that works

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
NAPA has some good rebuilds, i've always had good luck with them!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Go buy a rebuild kit from the dealer.  A lot cheaper than a new starter :thumbs:  and its not hard to do
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

x2.

5 bucks and 30 mins (most of which was taking the starter off and replacing which you have to do anyway).  Works perfectly now and no clicking.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
It is fairly common on both Toyota's and Sammi's for this to occur, the cure is to run the ignition wire through an axillary light relay just like you were trying to turn on a light with the ignition switch. Run a wire from the battery to the relay and then to the solenoid, then use the ignition switch as the trigger. You shouldn't have anymore issues.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
      :turtle:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
yeah ive been gettin rebuilt ones from like kragen and auto zone, ill go to the dealer and see if that works
yeah my dad is a mechanic.  if someone brings in an auto zone starter he won't warranty the work, so if it fails he charges to replace them.  when he orders them from napa, they rarely fail, but if they do he will replace them.  i don't buy anything electric from auto zone, warranty or no warranty.  i'd rather pay a little more and not have to do the work twice. :2cents:

NAPA has some good rebuilds, i've always had good luck with them!!
X2
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
i had a buddy of mine take it apart and i think when i drove through water it got in the starter and arched on the cylanoid creating bumps so when it expanded it always got way stuck so he shaved it down a little and it dosent stick anymore!! so well see if that really fixes the problem otherwise ill go to napa.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
otherwise ill go to napa.
please dont
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Derracer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Go buy a rebuild kit from the dealer.  A lot cheaper than a new starter :thumbs:  and its not hard to do
Do you happen to have a part # for that Toyota rebuild kit? :eyebrow:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
You need to know the specifics and preferably have your vin for the dealer to get you the exact right kit.  :psss:  toyota sells reman starters :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
yeah ive gone through 3 starters with this truck so maby ill try a heat shield or something
why heat  shield when exhaust is onthe other side?
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
i havent had a chance to take my truck out and drive it yet to see if ive fixed the problem but if it dosent work ill go get the rebuild kit instead of napa because saving money is the best thing ever!

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've seen the bendix gear stick out and burn up the starter on toyota cars that haven't been in the mud or water.  The usual culprit is the starter relay sticking closed.  Sometimes the solenoid on the starter will just stick for no apparent reason though - on these cars, I still replaced the starter relay.  Better safe, then sorry.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I've seen the bendix gear stick out and burn up the starter on toyota cars that haven't been in the mud or water.  The usual culprit is the starter relay sticking closed.  Sometimes the solenoid on the starter will just stick for no apparent reason though - on these cars, I still replaced the starter relay.  Better safe, then sorry.

Another good reason for a seperate relay to cut the power after starting.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
True, true...
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"