Author Topic: shocks upside down ?  (Read 4704 times)

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
shocks upside down ?
« on: Sep 19, 2005, 01:11:55 PM »
Hey you guys I just finished my SAS and I was reading where marlin said to run to shocks with the can up and the shaft down ? Has anybody done this and why would you do this ?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: shocks upside down ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2005, 01:47:06 PM »
I run mine in what you'd call upside down only because I have Rancho 9000's and it makes it easier to get to the knob. It does not hurt the shock so I would do what the man says, he knows best. :thumbs:  :yesnod:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2005, 05:04:52 PM »
im guessing with the body up(that is what were saying right?) with each bump your shock is being used and compressing the goods inside. did that make sense? in my mind it did :idea:
Im an OG

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2005, 05:38:55 PM »
Body up = less damage.  Also reduces unsprung weight.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 327
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2005, 05:47:57 PM »
I have heard that the Ranchos should be wounted with the body/can down.   The reasoning was to prevent air bubbles from forming over time.  But I don't know if its true or not. :dunno:   Just something I had heard.
85 Runner

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2005, 06:33:46 PM »
Quote from: Skinny_Pedal
im guessing with the body up(that is what were saying right?) with each bump your shock is being used and compressing the goods inside. did that make sense? in my mind it did

Please tell what you been smoking, what ever it is, works good.  :rofl2:

Regardless of the position up or down on the can compression and rebound remain the same.

Quote from: Ferg
Body up = less damage.  Also reduces unsprung weight.

Well I don't know about damage but the shock is sprung weight and even more so when the can is up.

Quote from: gturismo
I have heard that the Ranchos should be wounted with the body/can down.   The reasoning was to prevent air bubbles from forming over time.  But I don't know if its true or not.    Just something I had heard.

Silly wives tales, Rancho's can be run in any position. If your shock sucks air at any time it's time for a new shock, it would mean they are leaking through the seals. Fluid leaks out, air gets in. Think about it how could the position of the shock make it suck air. It's just like the boot myth, my shocks collected dirt inside the boot instead of keeping it out, of course my boots are toys and never get put on my truck.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2005, 06:56:14 PM »
they do act differently when upside down. they controll the decompression alot better   and slows the tire from droping to fast ( can be bad)  they also can suck air !  when that happens to fix it just turn the shock back over for a while and it will fix its self.. they create air pockets  in the top of the shock insted of breatheing out from the  seal when the shaft goes out.  we have thought we killed 8 rs9000's  but after being off the truck for about a month now we went to warrenty them and they are back to normal !  the air pocket just needed to work its way out.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »
i put my bilstiens body up.i figured the made the sticker right side up for a reason.never had a problem

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2005, 12:06:58 AM »
I prefer the shaft down so mud and water don't settle/ rest on top of the 'body'.  Other than that, I can't see the difference.  After all, with the 26 chrome shocks I have connected to the rear axle alone, who gives a hoot if one or two go bad ???

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2005, 01:42:43 AM »
with the shocks upsde down you will get a small area of freeplay,,undapened movement..not noticable on the rig,,,but if you have the shack upside down,,and wait over night and check it in the morning you will see what I mean..the shaft will move up and down real easy..it goes away after the shock has been cycled but not a big deal from what I've seen..But i could see the valve getting worked over in time..some shocks it does not matter..so do,,some don't..most of the newer name brand off road type shocks I don't think it matters much anymore..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2005, 09:58:31 AM »
Silly wives tales, Rancho's can be run in any position.

If they are twin tube shocks, like Raunchos, then they really need to be mounted body down. Rauncho used to say that you could mount their 9k's either way. They don't say that any more, and THAT is where the confusion came from. Mounted body up puts some of the body mounted valving in the gas and not in the fluid. they don't work so well that way.

With mono-tube shocks, like Bils, SAW's, Fox's, etc. you CAN mount them either body up or body down. In these shocks all of the valving is on the piston.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2005, 02:28:56 PM »
If they are twin tube shocks, like Raunchos, then they really need to be mounted body down. Rauncho used to say that you could mount their 9k's either way. They don't say that any more, and THAT is where the confusion came from. Mounted body up puts some of the body mounted valving in the gas and not in the fluid. they don't work so well that way.

With mono-tube shocks, like Bils, SAW's, Fox's, etc. you CAN mount them either body up or body down. In these shocks all of the valving is on the piston.

:dunno: I have always run my Rancho's body up and have never expericenced any of these issues. From out of the 6 rigs I have had them on I broke only one at the welds other than that one I've taken them on and off the trucks, in fact the pair on the rear of my current truck came off of my Willys and before that they were on my Sammi, they are just as good as the day I bought them. The pair on the front came off a full-size Ramcharger that I owned  and never had any problems running them body up or down. I run my rear body down and my fronts body up only because I lazy and don't want to climb under the front to adjust them.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2005, 10:55:44 PM »
:dunno: I have always run my Rancho's body up and have never expericenced any of these issues. From out of the 6 rigs I have had them on I broke only one at the welds other than that one I've taken them on and off the trucks, in fact the pair on the rear of my current truck came off of my Willys and before that they were on my Sammi, they are just as good as the day I bought them. The pair on the front came off a full-size Ramcharger that I owned  and never had any problems running them body up or down. I run my rear body down and my fronts body up only because I lazy and don't want to climb under the front to adjust them.

this is prolly true,,and I never noticed any differance either,,however when I turned them around thats when I felt the few inches of free travel untill the shock was cycled several times..no problems ever became of it howver..just somthing I noticed..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:14:39 PM »

Well I don't know about damage but the shock is sprung weight and even more so when the can is up.

Well I think it is less "sprung weight" with the body up as it will then be mounted on the body and not the axle, butt being as noone here is running a fomual 1 car it would not matter eather way .

butt I do thijnk that if I were going to run some shocks "up-side down" I cut the dust cover off so it would trap drit.  :yupyup:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
Well I think it is less "sprung weight" with the body up as it will then be mounted on the body and not the axle, butt being as noone here is running a fomual 1 car it would not matter eather way .

butt I do thijnk that if I were going to run some shocks "up-side down" I cut the dust cover off so it would trap drit. :yupyup:

That's the reason I run the shocks the 'wrong' way.  But then again, the right way is my way...

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2005, 06:57:57 PM »
That's the reason I run the shocks the 'wrong' way.  But then again, the right way is my way...

Right you are!  BLF>  :bowdown:   :king:  < SLOYOTA
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

WideOpen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -241
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2005, 02:12:17 AM »
I ran my 9000's can up for a few months, but it just didn't seem ride or handle right. Flipped them around and it made a big difference. Had massive nose dive when braking with the can up on highest setting, now run setting 3 with good ride and almost no nose dive. With the can up it creates a dead spot in the shock before it starts to dampen causing a number of issues. This worked out great on my truck, just do what works best for you. :thumbs:  My buddy and i just installed bilstiens can up on his runner and they ride sweet!
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2005, 02:37:58 AM by WideOpen »

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2005, 02:19:19 AM »
I do have a bone to pick regarding the rear axle weldable lower shock mount....can't have shocks working 100% when your shock binds a widdle bit.... fighting the bushings and all....

Plus, I can't miss what I never had....the shocks current position was their first position... ::)

RunnerRick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2005, 06:20:26 PM »
Procomp 9000 shocks barley work body up you can feel the difference pushing them on the ground.

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2005, 12:21:42 PM »
Procomps (at least the ES3000)  are not designed to be ran can up.  @ first I could not tell the difference, but after some time, it was as if someone removed the shocks all together. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

superstarai

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2005, 06:08:36 PM »
I believe that shocks should be mounted with the silver rod up to the top and the huge body part down, basically i dont belive in mounting it upside down shock but iam not that experienced either. See what works for you or call the manufacuter who makes the shock.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »
Since I run my shocks inverted and there has been some saying it was a no no it's been driving me nuts wondering. Not that I've been having an issue, but you know how it goes the seed was planted and I was thinking about trying them the other way. I always used to think that the shocks on my IFS 4Runner had the cans in the up position and would have been the only way to mount them since the top would have been a shaft mount. Well I'm sitting here looking at one of the few actual pictures I have since I was into video back when I had it and guess what, I'm staring at the front of my old truck with inverted shocks Rancho 9000's from the FACTORY!! If that doesn't settle this question I don't know what does. Here's the pic.......

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:34:42 PM »
And like I said previously, Older 9k's (~5+ y.o.) can be run can up, but the new ones can not. Age of the damper makes a difference.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:43:15 PM »
Since some are saying that they cannot be run can up I decided to check with the pros:

Quote from: Rancho Shocks

Ron,

Yes, you can still mount the RS9000 line in the inverted position.  They
will still function properly, but might seem slightly softer if this is
done.  Both our 5000 series and 9000/9000X series shocks are cellular gas
charged shocks. This means that the gas and the oil are in two different
chambers rather than being mixed together like in free-flowing gas charged.
Since the gas is not in direct contact with the piston, it does not extend
the piston. The cellular gas charged shocks have advantages of both free
flowing gas charged shocks and hydraulic shocks. This is due to the
cellular gas still preventing aeration with the gas charge while also being
able to be mounted in more versatile positions. These shocks are designed
to not extend on its own.

For further questions please feel free to contact the technical assistance
line at 734-384-7804.

Rancho Team-Justin

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:07:55 AM »
www.4crawler.com has a good writeup on the shocks being mounted upside down.... not sure exactly where it is on that site though... there is a plethora of info there
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »
www.4crawler.com has a good writeup on the shocks being mounted upside down.... not sure exactly where it is on that site though... there is a plethora of info there

Yeah but that would just be more banter back and forth like here, not direct information like from the manufacturer of the product.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:53:46 AM »
Here is my  :twocents: with the disclaimer that I am no expert...

I have Rancho 9000 (old 5 position version) installed on my truck.  I have noticed that the valving only changes the compression of the shocks and not the rebound.

:hammerhead:  :hammerhead:  :hammerhead:

Now that I am typing my thoughts out, mounting can up or can down doesn't change compression vs. extension.

Don't you hate it when you prove yourself to be a moron?   :hammer:

I guess it is back to the air bubble question...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
Here is my  :twocents: with the disclaimer that I am no expert...

I have Rancho 9000 (old 5 position version) installed on my truck.  I have noticed that the valving only changes the compression of the shocks and not the rebound.

:hammerhead:  :hammerhead:  :hammerhead:

Now that I am typing my thoughts out, mounting can up or can down doesn't change compression vs. extension.

Don't you hate it when you prove yourself to be a moron?   :hammer:

I guess it is back to the air bubble question...

Next time just don't push Post and everything will be OK!! :rofl2: