Author Topic: 84 4Runner Buildup - Last minute summer mods  (Read 309547 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Big thanks to my brother and Jeff (CuBuff4Runner) for the help on Saturday.  We got quite a bit done and finally got to mount all 4 tires and actually take it for a drive.

Sorry for the pictures, I had to turn the lightening way up to see the contrast between the tires and trucks. 

Side by side with CuBuff4Runner's 96 4Runner (SAS'ed on 36" Iroks)

Lower down to see the tire size difference

Side shot of the show truck minus the tail gate. lower quarter panel, and turn signal :D

There are quite a few differences in our trucks even though they sit almost as tall as each other.  Notice the rear shackle height difference (frame on the 84 stays high where the 96 dips down after the wheel)

Headlights are almost the same height but the top of the cab is higher on the 84 by a couple of inches.

13" of clearance under the front diff on the 84 :D

Waggy D44 vs Toyota axle width.  D44 wins.

Nice collection of colors on this side

Driver's side inner 16 ga.tub.  It's fully welded.  Just needs some seal seal and Hurculiner on it to make it water-proof inside.

I still have some welding on this side.  We really wanted to get it out for a test drive so I'll finish up the welding at a later day.

Driver's side inner.  I think the new tubs came out really well.  They are strong also.  I could stand on them on the inside and no flex at all.

CuBuff's new beadlock wheels.  He's got such a badass 3rd Gen!

He's really to rock this summer!!

Driving impressions - I knew it was going to be slow.  Let's put it this way, I wasn't let down :D   It's pretty slow.  I don't think I'll ever use 5th gear.  4th gear was pretty much just holding speed, no accleration at all in 4th.  3rd gear and 4K rpm (I'm guessing) was around 55 mph.  The truck drove great with these tires (not even balanced yet).  Ride was nice and smooth and the brakes seemed to slow it down good enough. 

I'm still glad I chose the 40's rather than 35-37's.  I would have still just as much work making them fit in the rear quarterpanel. 

Next up, seam seal and undercoat / hurculine the rear tubs and trim the front fenders.  I also need to work on my hydro assist mounts and fab up some new bumpstops.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!