Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734751 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #510 on: Oct 02, 2004, 10:30:36 AM »
I went with the FROR cross member and skid plate thinking it would be easier to install than Marlin's...don't know but it is in.
Man you are a copy cat :yupyup: I've already talked to Brian over at Front Range and he made me one, then I ran out of money + wasn't exactly ready for it since I'm waiting to install it until I get the tripple cases in, so I had to pass it up. I should call him and get another one made since the last one took a couple of weeks.

Our crossmember (also like Budbuilts and Sky) is pretty darn heavy and they all use the stock factory Toyota mounts that themselves are a good 3-4" thick + the 3/8" crossmember = alot of lost ground clearance. So I've always liked Front Range's ever since I first saw it at our first annual Round-Up back in 2001. I've always thought "If I ever get a truck it's gonna get Brian's crossmember" but Im a bit concerned about using it at the back of THREE cases. I hope all of the bolts hold together because that's going to be ALOT of stress on everything.

Quote from: toyhatsu
I am going to end up with about a 24" rear drive shaft but a looong front drive shaft.
Yup, same here, but with tripple. My co-worker Tim (TURBO) has already measured his setup with a Turbo 22R-TE with R151F + tripple cases in an '83 shortbed frame which is the same dimensions as mine, and his front drive line is about 4 or 5" longer than the rear. And this is pretty interesting because once I relocated my axles, if I can somehow try to keep the difference in my two drivelines down to within 3" or so, then if I ever waste a rear driveline, I can just throw the front on right on the back and drive home :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

There isn't room to mount the cultch master cylinder so the plan is to run the clutch cable to the passenger fender and fab up a bracket and lever to actuate the master cyinder and run a line to the slave.
Dude that's alot of work. Are you sure you can't somehow notch the frame and make it fit??

Any more progress and pics?
I'll be working on it this afternoon and all day tomorrow. My goal by Sunday night is having a completely functioning interior.

Oh, I forgot to tell everyone. I am not going to do the 89-95 interior swap yet. I think it will wait until next summer. Sorry WT, I wanted it so bad and now its just going to sit around. If you need it back that's cool, otherwise I would like to hang on to it, so we can still do some business. I'll be calling you this afternoon to talk about it-

Yeah I just figured that if I just keep the stock interior for now then I could get it smogged and finished within two weeks and start driving the damn thing. Otherwise it will take me another 2 or 3 weeks just to get it converted since my only real time is on the weekends, then I'll still have to complete some small engine details, so its like I'll be out another month and I really just want to start using this truck. I like the 1st gen interiors, so I'll still be happy. And I guess it will be more of a sleeper too.. Anyways.............

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki