Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 720909 times)

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #480 on: Sep 22, 2004, 06:27:48 PM »
Mike-

Post up the part number printed on the mass air sensor you have.  I have several at work in my toolbox...if a number matches up you can HAVE it to try and diag your problem. 

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: Sep 22, 2004, 08:44:16 PM »
hey mike, ihave a question. i thought you couldnt use cross over steering with an ifs truck. from what i understand is,  if the suspension is traveling, then the distance from knuckle to knuckle is changing with the movement. now, how does this work if the lower steering rod is in a fixed length. i was told that the draglink has to follow the same plane as the control arms in a parrallel position. and that the tire rods have to be at a certain angle in-line with the arms. all theoretically speaking of course. but i see that marlin has a kit for cross over for ifs. this is what i wanted to do to clear my oil pan but if this isnt possible. it says the kit is for late 70s to mid 90s or is this just for trucks with sas kits. or am i just an idiot? im confused please advise.

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: Sep 22, 2004, 11:07:02 PM »
im having trouble trying to post pictures

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #483 on: Sep 23, 2004, 05:42:42 AM »
hey mike, ihave a question. i thought you couldnt use cross over steering with an ifs truck. from what i understand is,  if the suspension is traveling, then the distance from knuckle to knuckle is changing with the movement. now, how does this work if the lower steering rod is in a fixed length. i was told that the draglink has to follow the same plane as the control arms in a parrallel position. and that the tire rods have to be at a certain angle in-line with the arms. all theoretically speaking of course. but i see that marlin has a kit for cross over for ifs. this is what i wanted to do to clear my oil pan but if this isnt possible. it says the kit is for late 70s to mid 90s or is this just for trucks with sas kits. or am i just an idiot? im confused please advise.

im guessing thats for sas trucks
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:19:41 AM »
Brandon, what is that 1-1/8" MC off of?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #485 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:44:22 AM »
Mike-

Post up the part number printed on the mass air sensor you have. I have several at work in my toolbox...if a number matches up you can HAVE it to try and diag your problem.

Ryan

RYAN! MY SAINT! :yupyup: Here it is: 22250-75010 Let me know!!
I am going to reopen my Air flow sensor and clean it out again. Im now hoping that while I was test driving it without an airfilter, that some debris got on the sensor and its throwing it off. I'll reply back tonight about it..

hey mike, ihave a question. i thought you couldnt use cross over steering with an ifs truck.

Hey ifssucks, sorry If I've mislead ya. Yeah, you can only use crossover steering on a live axle equiped vehicle..

im having trouble trying to post pictures

In the Post window, below the white area were you type, click the "Additional Options..." link and you can browse your computer for pictures to attach with your post. They need to be smaller than 150kb and only certain file types are allowed, like .jpg .gif .jpeg .bmp .tiff etc....
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: Sep 23, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
I'm having trouble with this too....I tried posting some pics,and it's telling me page cannot be displayed...Does this mean my pics are too big? :eyebrow:...If so,what can I do? :dunno:.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: Sep 23, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »
Mike-

Didn't see your post until just now (7:00)  I'll check that P/N tomorrow and send one your way if I have it.  Ok to ship it to Marlin Crawler attn: you ?

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: Sep 23, 2004, 07:56:06 PM »
mike will you just give me your email address so ican send these pics. they are all like 748 kb so i cant figure out how to post them

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #489 on: Sep 23, 2004, 07:58:36 PM »
go into paint ang open the pic and in the tool bar there is a thing called strch and skew then change the percentages untill you get 150 kb
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: Sep 23, 2004, 08:17:30 PM »
ok it think it will work now

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: Sep 23, 2004, 08:19:12 PM »
1 more

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: Sep 23, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »
i guess that worked.  does everyone like my custom plastic baggy oil pan. i did that so i could at least get it in and figure out the steering linkage around that. ill probably now just add a body lift, raise the motor as much as possible and try to put together a straight axle setup. i acn get a dana 44 for next to nothing and i also has a 92 2wd rear axle with 4.10 gears . i imght just use that fot the rear axle. atleast i acn keep my tacoma tranny and case being that it only has 50,000 miles on it, versus my 22r tranny with 165000. it just sucks that the tcase out put is on the opposite side because i wanted to use t100 arms to make a long travel setup. but thats more work than i really need to do. i have to still make the 3rz fit and get it running. istill have to swap fuel tanks, route the new harness and splice it in with the original as little as i need to. along with the body lift, new motor mounts and probably tranny mounts, make brackets for my new seats, and whatever else comes up along the way. oh well, any help is appreciated.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
i have to still make the 3rz fit and get it running. istill have to swap fuel tanks, route the new harness and splice it in with the original as little as i need to. along with the body lift, new motor mounts and probably tranny mounts, make brackets for my new seats, and whatever else comes up along the way.
I'm on day 81 now. dang has it been that long? sheesh It's been alot of work!! :banana:

Thanks for the pics man, looking good :booya: Dispite the fact that one of your engine mounts does bolt up, to retain the same level placement the engine had in the T100, you're gonna have to chop both factory hilux mounts off and relocate them or make some new ones.. 'cause in your pics, the engine is tilted to one side .... We used a digital leveling meter on top of the intake manifold, the flat area just beyond the throttle body, to find the level point of the truck. Also eye-balling the power steering resivor helped too, checking to see that it's straigt up and not slanted..

You might be suprised as to how much head room is under the hood once its closed. You could have the power steering res. 2 or 3 inches above the height of the radiator and it would still fit with the hood closed. So dont be afraid to mount it as high as possible. Also make sure you get the engine moved back as far as possible so you can have many cooling fan options.

But one note I have with placing the engine up as high as possible is that you know my engine is maybe sitting a bit to low, BUT the space above the bellhousing was very tight!! (before I added the 1" body lift) So thinking back, I think we placed it as high as possible while still having clearance for the trans and t/case. And remember one of the main reasons I went with a small body lift was that my t/case was in direct contact with the tunnel of the cab, so I dont think I could have mounted my engine any higher than I did... But hopefully the 2nd gen cabs have more room to play with-

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:53:39 PM »
Mike-

Didn't see your post until just now (7:00) I'll check that P/N tomorrow and send one your way if I have it. Ok to ship it to Marlin Crawler attn: you ?

Ryan

Ryan I am very interested in trying your sensor (if you have one), and if it solves the problem, then I return some green pieces of paper instead of the sensor! :wink2:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: Sep 24, 2004, 12:06:57 AM »
Well another day at work = another night for my truck-

Thursday,

I cleaned out the air flow sensor one last time but to no prevail. In fact it actually runs worse now, which is good because this had a direct affect on the problem, so Im almost certain its related directly to this sensor. But please read on-

I've actually not said anything about this, because I've been so busy playing around with different cooling fan choices I just figured it would settle down once I found a permanent fan, but my engine never really warms up. The needle only manges to cover up the "C" line; I've only seen it above that point once. And I can easily hold my hand on the hot side rad. hose so I know it wasnt heating up normally, so I ordered a new thermostat on Monday - planning to install it tonight. And my lower rad. hose, from the T100, wasn't gonna cut it because it was getting squashed between the alternator and the frame so I knew I needed to drain the system to replace that hose, so I was going to tackle two birds at the same time tonight..

So I'm working on removing the thermostat housing, and guess what I found in there?

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2004, 12:09:07 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: Sep 24, 2004, 12:25:39 AM »
That's right, NOTHING. The supposedly faulty thermostat was missing in action! :o

Which is terrible news. This now rises questions about the history on this engine. The seller was told that a dealership had installed this 80k-something engine into the 130k-something T100 after the original 3RZ engine had blown up, and then the truck got wrecked and here I am with the engine.. So either some idiot was messing around with his lower mileage engine that the dealer just installed for him and he forgot to include a thermostat or this engine never ever was installed by any Toy dealership and it's likely still the original 130k engine from the T100.. Who knows, Im not all to concerned about this mystery right now, I'll learn more about this engine once I can manage the gas mileage and record it, then I will make opinions about the engine. But hey it runs great so far so of course Im a happy camper :sly:

So I added a thermostat and built a custom lower hose section and clamped on some hose pieces and fixed that, then added some water and fired it up. And whatta ya know! the revs came down, temp went up, and it was sooo quiet at an idle now. What I thought was an idle before was still cold idle (as the stock T100 instrument cluster lacks a tachometer). And reving it now with it warmed up seems more responsive and it seems smoother.

But like an idiot I had removed the stock clutch fan - because I finally found an e-fan that will fit - so I could not test drive the truck with the temp at normal. No fan at all right now. So this weekend my duty is to install the e-fan and set the fan's thermostat, and hook up a 94-95 speed sensor hard wired directly to the computer. Then I am hoping that the computer needs to see NORMAL condition before setting all variables, and my power problem might be solved without having to replace my air sensor. Maybe the computer never came out of some loop mode because it was still waiting for the engine to heat up :dunno: If this is the case it might be able to figure everything out once it warms up and I take it out for a spin. Only time will tell.

But I still want to exchange my air sensor, so reklund5 please keep me informed! :beerchug: I'll need a spare for the trail anyways :yumyum:

Here's a close up of my air sensor, showing the crack atop it, and here's what my engine currently looks like with the new filter installed. Note that it will not be mounted in that spot at all, I'll be moving it all the way to the back of the compartment above the passengers wheel-well to keep it high and dry. A hood scoop is already in progress :psss: :eyebrow:
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2004, 12:32:31 AM by BigMike »

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #497 on: Sep 24, 2004, 05:19:46 AM »
hmm good luck with that. :crossed:
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: Sep 24, 2004, 06:46:57 AM »
looking good mike :thumbs:

haha funny how you dint have a thermo.
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: Sep 24, 2004, 08:12:42 AM »
Cool Mike.....that looks like a giant green alien boob. You'd better keep your dad away, you know how he is about boobs.

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: Sep 24, 2004, 08:30:35 AM »
Hahahah probably never went closed loop and the Cold start injector was proably on and drounding the poor thing in fuel!   :smack: Nothing like driving with the choke on to kill MPG! I bet that fixes it and the AFM may still be ok.

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: Sep 24, 2004, 08:51:52 AM »
mike do you know what that 1-1/8" MC is off of?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: Sep 24, 2004, 09:06:43 AM »
Cool Mike.....that looks like a giant green alien boob. You'd better keep your dad away, you know how he is about boobs.
Any Lady --> :boobs:  :o <-- Marlin  :biggthumpup:

Hahahah probably never went closed loop and the Cold start injector was proably on and drounding the poor thing in fuel! :smack: Nothing like driving with the choke on to kill MPG! I bet that fixes it and the AFM may still be ok.
I hope this is the case. I might get a chance tonight to drive it, I will just slap the stock clutch fan back on really quick and go cruising. Man I hope this solves it :crossed:

mike do you know what that 1-1/8" MC is off of?
Hey raybie, I saw you asking Brandon about this, but I wasnt sure what you are talking about. Master Cylinder? I think so. Reply #218 back on page 8 Brandon linked this pic-

and that's a Master Cylinder from a 89-95 V6 truck I believe..... I think

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: Sep 24, 2004, 09:31:24 AM »
hep, master cylinder was what i was talking bout. huh, i thought the v6 trucks were only an 1" bore.  thanks

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: Sep 24, 2004, 11:54:36 AM »
HEY mike i found an axle to use for sas but what springs should i use. any ideas let me know.

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: Sep 24, 2004, 11:56:07 AM »
 :bufu:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: Sep 24, 2004, 02:38:37 PM »
mike where can i find a rear sump oil pan pickup?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: Sep 24, 2004, 05:53:57 PM »
Try http://www.car-part.com and search for a 95' T100 "Oil Pan" for the 3RZ, you'll get a big list of wrecking yards nation wide who have the oil pan, and most likely they have the pick up tube for sale too. Just give a couple yards a call and ask if they can sell you the pick up tube-

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: Sep 24, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »
Mike-

I checked the 6 MAF's I have in the bottome drawer of my toolbox today, and 4 were for 3.4 V6 trucks/runners and the other two were for celica/corolla motors... :wall:

I checked the part number in your pic and it comes up as the entire AFM assembly for like $550.00 yikes!!  Just the sensor sub-assy is available for around $70, but we didn't have one in stock, or I would have parts-warrantied it and sent it to you.  With the recent findings of the missing thermostat, I'd say to drive it again before exchanging sensors....

Also, do you know anyone who would let you "borrow" one locally for a few minutes....

I fell terrible that I can't help you out on this one...

Ryan