Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 716713 times)

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #450 on: Sep 16, 2004, 09:03:15 PM »
Brandon could you explain to me what porpuse that piece of wood serves for? ....is it the Body lift, drivetrain lift, or just a biodegradable skid plate?

JK
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #451 on: Sep 16, 2004, 10:09:33 PM »
adds horsepower ;)
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: Sep 16, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »
uhm :headscratch: ...wheres the luber store

:laugh:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #453 on: Sep 17, 2004, 12:31:12 AM »
Hey Brandon, the problem with your setup compared to the newer Toys is that Ford doesnt use a 4-wire 4-pluse pattern for the speed sensor. Marlin told me that he already check on that but its only for a more simple system..
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:40:58 AM »
it's actually an american thread I guess, they say you can put american thread on either but you can't put metric on either. Whatever - it threaded on just fine. Does the job and got be through smog etc. I like the calibrated gear in there, I just go in and recalibrate once I get lower diff gears. I just can't decide how low to go in the diffs since I cruise at 80mph on the highway with no OD so I can't go too low..

Sorry for walking over your thread here ;)
http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators/calculatorsind.html

That has some gear calculators stuff. If you have a tach you can figure it out for speed. Ignore the 5th/OD number you will get on the auto mated version. It's bassed on a .75 OD gear.  Use the other calculator. The Toy 5 speed is a .85 OD.4th gear will be 1:1.  So plug those numbers in and it will figure you engine RPM.
 3k would be a good RPM for 5th at 80.  Let you use it without lugging. Give you a good ratio for taking off from a stop.
 My motor seems happy at 3k. I'm turing 3200 at near 80. Everything is still stock. It holds its own without having to down shift on the hills.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #455 on: Sep 17, 2004, 07:23:20 AM »
I don't lug at 1k, and I can peel out in second gear  :gap:

I'll play with the calculator - thanks. I'm thinking like 5.38 since I think that is a shared D60/D44 ratio. My 4.10 really is not bad, no problems, but if I am going to replace the spool I might as well go a bit lower  8)
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2004, 07:25:22 AM by Brandon »
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Sep 17, 2004, 08:27:39 AM »
Hey Mike how come that gauge is only goin up to 10psi?

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Sep 17, 2004, 08:39:18 AM »
i finally got the set in the truck. i had to remove the oil pan to clear the draglink. the brackets between the motor mount and the block seem to be a little wider than the 22r bracket so ill have to fabricate new ones. plus if i dont drop the motor down a little the hood wont close. i could just leave it off and call it cowl induction!  :thumbs: anyway its going slowly but surely. pretty soon ill post some pics

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: Sep 17, 2004, 10:31:53 AM »
:dunno: I found it on the net a long time ago, and was going through some pics on my computer for a new avatar and just put it up. I wish I had taken a vid like that of my boost gauge going past 17psi, that would be cool!

Hey ifssucks, sounds great man!! Get that thing in!! :_order:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: Sep 17, 2004, 12:54:43 PM »
Mike, did you get anything done last night on your rig?
Got mine back on the road, can't wait to do some wheelin.

At least you got to see how much boost you were pushin. I haven't touched the 2 in 8 or 10 months. Kinda just wish someone would buy it from me. I've lost interest in doing anything to it.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #460 on: Sep 18, 2004, 06:32:41 PM »
:dunno: I found it on the net a long time ago, and was going through some pics on my computer for a new avatar and just put it up. I wish I had taken a vid like that of my boost gauge going past 17psi, that would be cool!

17psi  :beerchug:  my last over the road truck had a "500 detroit' but it was turned up past 600 i think :driving:  it would spin that waste gate turbo to 40psi  at full throttle on a hard run,  :flamer:  like leaving SanDiego going east it sounded like a jet  :driving:  you get some odd looks running up those grades passing cars,  in a 280" wheelbase Kenworth pulling a 48' reefer trailer   :yupyup:

i blew a air to air hose clamp once i thought someone had stuffed a 12 gauge in my ear and shot it off it was so loud

i bet 17psi in a MR2 would be awesome
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #461 on: Sep 19, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »
17psi  :beerchug:  my last over the road truck had a "500 detroit' but it was turned up past 600 i think :driving:  it would spin that waste gate turbo to 40psi  at full throttle on a hard run,  :flamer:  like leaving SanDiego going east it sounded like a jet  :driving:  you get some odd looks running up those grades passing cars,  in a 280" wheelbase Kenworth pulling a 48' reefer trailer   :yupyup:

i blew a air to air hose clamp once i thought someone had stuffed a 12 gauge in my ear and shot it off it was so loud

i bet 17psi in a MR2 would be awesome

:drool:....awesome
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2004, 10:50:30 PM by BigMike »
Im an OG

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Sep 19, 2004, 11:14:48 PM »
Mike, did you get anything done last night on your rig?

Ok guys, OK GUYS, OK GUYS!!!!!! I FINALLY TOOK HER OUT FOR A SPIN! AND LET ME TELL YA THIS ENGINE HAS A SERIOUS POWER BAND!

I plugged away all weekend, wasted almost 2 hrs messing around with electric fans before giving up for now and put the stocker back on despite clearance issues, got the rest of the 1" body mount for the cab fabed and installed, got some longer bolts for the bed and bolted it down, notched the stock crossmember to fit some temporary u-bolts and got it mounted, installed the rear drive line, cleaned out the bed and cab, got the seats back in, wired the T100's ignition wires direct into the 81's ignition cylinder - no more hot wiring, converted over to a 85-95 EFI throttle cable courtesy of freds40 (THANKS!!!), hooked up the powersteering pump and filled it and the cooler up with some fluid, bleeded the clutch - got it working, also found some air in my brake line at the driver rear drum - so now my brakes are ready for some use, discovered that all tires were about 10psi low - aired them up, vacuumed out the interior and tucked away the wires as best I could for now, installed both trans and tcase shift handles and boots, fired it up, pushed the clutch in, engaged the trans, and away I went.

It was dark by the time I got it out of the shop under its own power, so I really couldn't use the streets as the 81' is not wired at all = no brake, head, parking, license plate, dash, or blinker lights. Sure I could have driven it just down the block and back, but I was tired and still needed to clean up my weekend mess, so I just called it a night.

Our shop features ample room to drive around in the parking lot, so I was able to get her up to the top of 2nd gear, however I dont know the speed since my speedo isn't hooked up yet. Also, the one thing that I have not done yet is hooked up the speedsensor for the ECU, but I STILL did not get a check engine light. Oh, Did I tell you guys? My check engine light went away after the 2nd day of "test starts" I dont know what it was, but the computer doesn't see any errors at the moment. Even driving around through 1st and 2nd didnt throw any codes, so that's great news.

So as I was saying, I got it up to the top of 2nd gear and MAN THIS ENGINE KICKS BUTT!! It feels like a 22R-E in 2low, but with the momentum of 2high! Sure my truck is still stock, stock gearing + tires, but GEEZE IT FEELS SO LIGHT AND SO QUICK. Even when you bog it in 2nd, it just pulls right up to a high rev not letting anything hold it back. I really feel that this is the equivalent to the Turbo 22R-TE, but without the waiting for the boost and with the free rev'n of a 16 valve engine. And I mentioned that I struggled getting an electric fan installed. Yup, right now I cant see how im gonna do it, but IM GONNA. I REALLY REALLY want to use an electric fan. The stock clutch fan is Loud, annoying, and it makes a noticeable difference with the revs at an idle, SERIOUSLY, I can really tell a difference with the clutch fan off and then back on. So this engine will only have more giddy-up once I take that dang fan off.

So about pics, SORRY, no pics or movies for today. I was too excited and motivated to get this thing going by night fall that I forgot all about the camera. But I dont care so sucks to be you hahahahahahahaha

Ok, Check back tomorrow for some pics and some movies! LATER, :sleepy:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2004, 11:17:08 PM by BigMike »

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: Sep 20, 2004, 01:14:30 AM »
Good for you BigMike
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Sep 20, 2004, 01:53:09 AM »
 :thumbs: good job mike i'll have to see you drive it tomarow at  :turtle:'s shop.  man i'm tyerd ok umm the computer just went fuzzy, ok i can see now  hey here's to you mike :boobs:

now i've just got to get o'l yeller going

so to the loyal  :turtle: bbs readers, some time in the distant future you will see a compleated 1983 22RTEC on thease here pages

:thumbs: good job agin mike :thumbs: see you in 6 hours
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Sep 20, 2004, 08:49:43 AM »
so to the loyal  :turtle: bbs readers, some time in the distant future you will see a compleated 1983 22RTEC on thease here pages

Save us the suspense and start a project on SLOWPOKE already!

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: Sep 20, 2004, 04:21:48 PM »
so to the loyal :turtle: bbs readers, some time in the distant future you will see a compleated 1983 22RTEC on thease here pages

Save us the suspense and start a project on SLOWPOKE already!

What Mike said there, TurboTim :thpst:
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2004, 04:24:15 PM by CruzrDave »
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Sep 20, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »

converted over to a 85-95 EFI throttle cable courtesy of freds40 (THANKS!!!),

:clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap:    :best: Thank you Thank you!!!!!    Good to hear you finally cruised it Mike. Just a few more mods and you'll be wheelin now!  :thumbs:
"between projects"

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: Sep 20, 2004, 07:04:29 PM »
Right on Mike!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear it's goin.
But second gear in "your" parking lot? Must have been the business' on the other side of the building, eh?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Sep 20, 2004, 10:37:51 PM »
:clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap:    :best: Thank you Thank you!!!!!    Good to hear you finally cruised it Mike. Just a few more mods and you'll be wheelin now!  :thumbs:
Hey man, could have gotten it going so quick this weekend if it wasnt for you :bayer:

But second gear in "your" parking lot? Must have been the business' on the other side of the building, eh?
Right'oh! I would have taken it down the canal ditch bank except for the following reasons:
- It was night and I didnt have any lights. No lights + next to canal in the dark + unpredictable truck since it was first time = bad idea.
- I dont have any shocks in the rear since relocating the mount for the larger gas tank, so I didnt know how much it would bounce around. Bouncing + no lights + next to canal = even worse idea
- Im still nervous about my front diff to oil pan clearance, so one thing I didnt want to do last night was damage the oil pan and possibly my project!!

I will try to get the speedsenser installed tomorrow on my lunch break, otherwise I wont have time for the rig until Thurs night.

Cya :sleepy:
BigMike

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Sep 21, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »
So about pics, SORRY, no pics or movies for today. I was too excited and motivated so I figured that I would scream like a girl and was too shy about this to make a movie. :cheer:

Ok, Check back tomorrow for some pics and some movies! LATER, :sleepy:

BigMike

What he really tought. :yupyup: :thpst:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #471 on: Sep 21, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »
hey mike can you post some pics of that fuel tank swap,   :dunno:  ive been thinking about maybe a tank from a celica or something were the spare is now :headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Sep 21, 2004, 10:48:10 PM »
hey mike, what year did you tank come from. the one i got is a 92 2wd. that should ve ok right. i set the motor in but the 3rz mounts seem to be a little wider than the 22r. its close but doesnt slide on all the way. ill probably put on a body lift because i dont think the hood is going to close without it.

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Sep 21, 2004, 10:49:53 PM »
also i just got my new computer tonoght and my digital camera so once i figure out how to work it ill post some pics :thumbs:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Sep 22, 2004, 06:07:41 AM »
The tank came from my 90 2x x-cab. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Sep 22, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »
The tank came from my 90 2x x-cab.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: WHITE_TRASH

Hey WT, so what are we doing about the parts ? PM me-

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Sep 22, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »
Well I've been driving the truck around ALOT now but its still has one problem that im trying to hunt down. It has really great power until you get into either the top of 2nd or anywhere in 3rd gear + faster. It cuts out of bogs down at higher speeds, like 25mph+.

My ideas are that its either a Speedsensor issue, fuel filter issue, or air flow meter issue. Ive checked the book over 100 times and my T100 never came with an external speed sensor. The speedsensor is in the T100 dash, and since Im not going to use that, I will have to hard wire a t/case electric speedsensor directly to the two terminals on the computer. But I really dont think this could cause this great of a problem, also I have not gotten a check engine code ever since the first time I started it, so the computer doesnt even seem to notice its missing..

So I replaced the fuel filter, which was plugged up pretty bad, and the new one did make a difference, but its still not good yet.

So lastly Im all but positive its the air box. See, I will use either a cone or a HKS look-alike air filter so I never put the stock air box on. So the air flow meter (hot wire type) is exposed just behind a screen to prevent large objects from entering the intake. And the reason Im sure this is the problem is because at an idle, if I open the hood and blow at - not even into - the air meter, it will surge and sometimes die, it's that sensative. And since there is no air filter on yet, once the truck picks up speed, alot of air movement is occuring in there and im sure its messing with the computer via the hot wire. Once I get an air filter on it, that will prevent stray gusts of wind from reaching the sensor and the problem should be solved. So today I am going to look around for a cheap filter adapter, or tomorrow night I will make my own.

So I will reply my results on the air filter tomorrow night-

Off to class, cya!
BigMike

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: Sep 22, 2004, 01:24:08 PM »
Well you had problems with that sensor before didn't you? I'm inclinded to think maybe it has a problem with the sensor or possibly the wiring adding some resitance.

Seems to me that once the cone is on it's still going to be pulling in air from the same place once the RPM'S are up. I cant really see how at high RPMS that air moving around in the engine compartment would overcome when it's tying to suck 300cfm in that little hole. I could see that  being the problem at low rpms where it doesn't have that soret of air flow going through it.. Then there is things like the ARB snorkles and it would create a ram air effect and not heard any complaints about it.  I been wrong about stuff before so I guess we will see. Easy enough to tell once that filters on. Hope it works for sake of a easy fix.

My bet is still the speed sensor. Extended RPMs with load but showing zero MPH might make it mad.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #478 on: Sep 22, 2004, 01:38:59 PM »
just slap on a pice of pvc tubibg over the end and see if the truble goes away.  :dunno:

about "10 long sould do it.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Sep 22, 2004, 06:03:25 PM »
hey mike, what year did you tank come from. the one i got is a 92 2wd. that should ve ok right. i set the motor in but the 3rz mounts seem to be a little wider than the 22r. its close but doesnt slide on all the way. ill probably put on a body lift because i dont think the hood is going to close without it.
Hey ifssucks,
The T100 does have wider mounts, and yes it almost lined up for me too, but had to make new mounts. Concerning your height, actually do try to keep it up high. We kept mine low, and now with the 1" body lift, there is a lot of space above my engine, like 3+ inches at the closet distance, and my diff is wwaayy close right now, so as I am test driving it Im being careful for now..

Thanks for the suggestions Grim and BLF, but today I purchased an Air Filter and modified an adapter designed for a Nissan 300ZX, and got a filter on. The problem is now about 70% fixed, but definately not contained. I drove it around the block now for the first time, as apposed to just down and back up the street. Im still pretty nervous about the cops since the rig is 1) not registered 2) not in my name 3) I've no pink slip 4) its not insured, let alone the infractions of no brake lights, no muffler, ohhhhhhh the list goes on and on, but I dont care 'cause Ive gotta drive it !! :eyebrow:

So back to the problem, now that I've got an air filter on, and its a really nice air filter I might add, I'll take some pics as soon as I can, it definately does better at all speeds, but if you quickly floor it, it almost back fires and it really hesitates. Im still NOT getting a check engine light so the speed sensor issue is still a mystery, so now I am blaming it on the AFM. Grim is, I already had trouble with it in the begining, and it has a good sized crack right on the top of the sensor, so I think it got damaged pretty bad during the wreck of the donar vehicle. So I've checked www.car-part.com and I can get them for just under $50 which is a good deal, but the risk of buying it and swaping them out only to find out that it wasnt the problem......  :headscratch: that's a real gamble.

Im not sure about my plans this weekend, and I dont know if I will have time to get a speedsensor wired in tomorrow night, but I will try that before I chuck up 50 bills..

Knocking em down as they come-
BigMike