Author Topic: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!  (Read 212937 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!
« on: May 23, 2005, 12:38:10 AM »
This Project is featured in our Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread

BigMike's Build Navigation
Pages        Active Date Range
FirstBigMike's Big Project38+July 2004 - April 2005
Second     BigMike's Big Summer Project (currently viewing)    19+May 2005 - Sept 2007
ThirdBigMike's "Return of the Project"12+May 2008+
Picture Gallery Thread

Project Thread Navigation Links:
Page 2 - Preparing my intake for.... something special
Page 5 - Installed TRD Supercharger! Built DIY water injection system
Page 6 - Installed rear Pivot Blocks, leveled front end, Boost gauge
Page 7 - Installed Clinometer, Built new dash plate, mounted boost and water injection pressure gauges, Got Marlin? sticker, Fixed crack in frame, Rear suspension is out performing rear shocks
Page 8 - Ran 2006 TLCA Rubithon, Broke Pivot Block & FROR Crossmember, Installed 14" rear shocks, Installed rear MC bumper,
Page 9 - Ran Red Lake
Page 10 - Installed 37" Pitbull ROCKERs, new front axle with high pinion + e-locker
Page 11 - Oil pan to High Steer clearance issues, installed APEX'i Super AFC
Page 12 - Ripped my frame in half on Dusy/Ershim trail
Page 13 - Ran 2007 Tierra De Sol
Page 14 - Pulled truck from hibernation, Began removing TRD Supercharger
Page 15 - Removed TRD Supercharger
Page 16 - Broke FROR Crossmember again, Replaced stock intake, New valve job & Toyota head gasket

Thread has gone stagnant.

Page 18 - Showed picture examples of all my different Pivot Block setups

New project thread started: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46211.0

05/05/06: My Summer Projects are back on for the Summer of 2006. :thumbs:
-BigMike

08/02/05: I have been forced to cancell this project because I found out today that my school starts this month, not next. Therefore, I no longer have the time nor the resources to do this, and hence I will resume this Project Summer of 2006. -BigMike

Hey guys,

It's summer time and that can only mean one thing, NEW PROJECTS!! :clap: :disturbed:

I have started *some* progress on one of my projects this weekend so I figured I would just begin my Summer Project Thread.. :bananabeer:

So, with no further delay, here is the spoiler you're looking for: Summer Projects Include, but not limited to:
  • On Board Air System.
  • Build + Install Full Body Armor.
  • Finish Rock Lights Underneath Rig.
  • New Suspension with Marlin Crawler Springs. Planning to Inboard the rear springs.
  • Complete Axle Swap to Full Size Toyota Axles: FJ80 front end with HighPinion E-Locker and Tacoma rear with E-locker. 5.29s Naturally.
  • Graduate to 37" Rubbers.
  • Bob the bed.
  • Convert my cab into a 1st Gen Extra Cab.
  • Get a Paint Job.
  • Go Electric Fan with a fan speed controller from http://www.dccontrol.com
  • Supercharge my 3RZ Engine
  • Install a Water/Alcohol Injection System
  • Cut out my front Inner Fender Walls
  • Build some Half-Doors
  • Install my CD player and speakers with alum. diamond plating door panels

So that's the list thus far. As I complete each item I will mark it above and include a link to it's corresponding Reply within this thread.

As you can see I've got many plans ahead of me and alot to do. My goal is to have all of these finished by dirtbag's Birthday Bash in August (http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9387.0), and ultimately, if I can't finish everything, Plan B is to have everything done by MCR4.

As for the Supercharger idea, after playing around with things this past weekend, I've determined that there is insufficient room to have both my on board air system and a blower both on the exhaust side of the engine, so the only alternative would be to use an actual TRD supercharger unit, which is mucho bucko, so I am just going to give up on that entire idea :rivers: I really miss the days of boost so I wanted to relive them. I had planned on using either a Toy SC14 unit or an Eaton M90 unit and run less than 5 psi. The only thing this engine lacks is warp speed power below 2.5k rpm and boost will stretch my torque band to satisfy my late night craves.

So on to the first pictures. Hey I can't start a project with out any pics, RIGHT?
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013, 02:30:05 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Summer Project
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:44:54 AM »
This is the highly sought after Twin V Compressor that I talked about back in my 1st Project thread here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4401.msg59061#msg59061

This compressor was taken off of a 1973 Chrysler Newport boat car. According to legend, this compressor is capable of inflating 35" tires using a small 3 gallon air tank while the compressor is CYCLING on and off. It can actually out compress the inflation of the tire!! :o :eyebrow: Even with such a small reserve tank.

And that's what I've got so far, the compressor and a 3 gallon air tank I found on Ebay for $10 back in November.

Now, the major problem that is keeping this baby from seeing active duty, belt groove. As you can see from my first pic, the Newport used a V-rib belt system whereas my 3RZ uses a Serpentine belt system.

Before I go any farther, look at these pics:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 12:55:58 AM »
The first pic in my above post shows the belt line / relationship that I've got. It is actually a perfect fit. If I were using an upright York compressor, then I doubt it would fit.

Now if you look at my crank pulley, the inner grove operates the water pump and alternator and the outer grove operates the power steering pump.

All I need to do is acquire a Crank Pulley from an A/C equipped 3RZ. This will put a 3rd grove in between of my two, in that missing area there in the middle. That grove operates the AC and that would be perfect for me to use for my Air Compressor, but the problem, as stated earlier, is that I need a serpentine clutch pulley on the Compressor in order to use the serpentine pulley for the AC crank pulley.

So, now I am in search for a serpentine AC Pulley that will fit that shaft pictured above from my twin V compressor.
Once I find a serpentine clutch pulley, all problems are solved. So does anyone know of an AC Clutch pulley that is serpentine and fits a tapered shaft like that?? ?? :crossed: :crossed: :crossed:

If I can not find one, then my only option would be to cut off a V-belt grove from a 22R crank pulley, weld it onto my crank pulley in that middle area, and then take it down to a performance shop that can get the pulley rebalanced. But seriously I don't want to do that, so my search begins and this is where I leave you for now....

As for my Project, sadly, my girlfriend will be leaving to return back home in Japan for at least a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEJW KJ WEKJR WIHF SH WHR LJK#$Y RTI#$JH@$KL%^J#$K^J $ :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :shudder:  :sad2:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :scared:  :sad2:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!!!!!!  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down: Her flight leaves in the first week of July, so I have between then and now to spend every second and every breath with her before she leaves :love:  :love:  :love: , so logically my truck and all of these projects will be placed on the back burner for a while. :dunno:
Plus, if you haven't realized, those axles and suspension are gonna cost me major bucks :smack: so it's going to take me a month or two just to fund these projects. I might even take out a vehicle loan and just pay that off :headscratch:

So don't expect much action from this thread until around mid July or so...  :sleeping: and then all Hell's gonna break loose :burnout: :yesnod:

Cya
BigMike with BigPlans
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:07:27 AM by BigMike »

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »
Awesome man. Keep postin as you go. Good luck.
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 11:46:07 AM »
I am sooo looking forward to that 1st gen extended cab.  Depending on how much trouble it is and what the cost is I will be looking to copy your design for my truck.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 11:50:25 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it, what type of paintjob you looking at?  I like the looks of the one you got now :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 01:17:37 PM »
As for my Project, sadly, my girlfriend will be leaving to return back home in Japan for at least a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEJW KJ WEKJR WIHF SH WHR LJK#$Y RTI#$JH@$KL%^J#$K^J $ :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :shudder:  :sad2:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :scared:  :sad2:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!!!!!!  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down: Her flight leaves in the first week of July, so I have between then and now to spend every second and every breath with her before she leaves :love:  :love:  :love: ,

BigMike with BigPlans

time to whip out a ring mikey! :eyebrow:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:24 PM »
Bummer about the gf Mike. Gives you a good excuse to go and visit Japan though.
Hey on that compressor. My dad and I have been playing with them a bit and we have found that the taper on the shaft is the same as on a York. I have seen a few places you can get a serp. pulley for a York so in theory, it should "bolt" right on. IIRC they are something like $90 new but I thought I heard of one off a Mustang that would work too.
"between projects"

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 10:17:29 PM »
Good news Brendon, yup I confirmed today that York compressors also use a tapered shaft, however I have not tried to actually install a pulley yet.

I wonder what kind of luck I would have if I hit the yard and just started looking around for a serp. American engine. I could just start ripping apart AC clutch pulleys until I found a tapered shaft. :dunno:

Looking forward to seeing it, what type of paintjob you looking at? I like the looks of the one you got now :yupyup:

Yup, same two tone and colors.

And thanks for the support on my girlfriend. We will miss each other immensely.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 10:48:42 PM by BigMike »

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 10:35:51 PM »
Cool on the mods. Too bad on the gf, but a year can go by really fast if you keep yourself busy.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 11:45:13 AM »
Thats a real shame about your gf. I dont know what I would do. Sounds like you plan on keeping busy while she is a way by the looks of that list. Sounds awsome. I really hope that I can atleast have a SAS done by the Roundup in Sept so I can come see your truck in action. Spend as much times as you can with her then when she leaves hitt he truck hard. Go Mike Go! :burnout:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 12:58:21 PM »
steering arms for fj80 axles are kindof goofy(especially where it mounts to the knuckle). have you thought of 30 spline longfields in a wider FROR housing?
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 04:23:31 PM »
Don't worry BigMike...between your truck and posting pictures or your truck for us to look at you will be more than occupied... ;)

Seriously though, tough luck on the Japan deal...maybe she can ship you parts? :dunno:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
This is the highly sought after Twin V Compressor that I talked about back in my 1st Project thread

This compressor was taken off of a 1973 Chrysler Newport boat car. According to legend, this compressor is capable of inflating 35" tires using a small 3 gallon air tank while the compressor is CYCLING on and off. It can actually out compress the inflation of the tire!! :o :eyebrow: Even with such a small reserve tank.

I don't mean this post to jack your thread, just to offer info for everyone on these compressors.  And so:

This compressor is commonly known as a Chrysler RV2 or Airtemp RV2 compressor.  It can be found on fullsize Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth cars, as well as most pickups from 1961 to 1980.  The stock pulley is a 5.5 inch dual-belt unit with 3/8" belt grooves.  Mounting is through the case, usually 3 holes and 9, 12 and 3 o'clock in relation to the shaft. 

Part #s are as follows: 
Compressor: Four Seasons--57059
                  NAPA--252106 @ $199.00
*Note* unit is only available rebuilt and without clutch assy.

New Clutch/coil assy: NAPA--272209 @ $235.00

Reman Clutch/coil assy: Four Seasons--48833
                                 NAPA--262209 @ $165.00

Hope that will help anybody interested. :yupyup:  :thumbs:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 07:31:01 PM »
Hey Mike, if you can find a serp clutch for it, you should probably go with a 5 groove if your motor will allow it. This pump ran 2 v-belts frorm the factory and I'm guessing there's a reason. Seems like there would be a lot of turning force necessary to keep the belts from slipping and to allow the pump to run to it's optimum capacity.
"between projects"

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 06:12:13 PM »
you might of talked about this already, but Y dont u jus use an AC pump, lighter and easyer to install
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »
I want more volume and I want to be original :gap:

Plus I've seen some stock AC setups used for Air Pumps and the ones I've seen have a oiling hose coming out and they constantly have to add oil to it.

Also the up right yorks require some kind of internet oil modification so that it doesnt pump oil into the charging system at higher rpms?

But I took apart a V-compressor that Marlin had that had cylinder wall damage, and it has its own oil pump, sump, crank case, oil ports on the crank and connecting rods, and man its so much more beefy than the upright yorks and the pistons are huge.

So I want to be able to run a compressor at 2000+ rpm without having to worry about it overheating or blowing oil into the air lines. And I think this compressor is just the one I'll need for that.

I havn't done anything to my project, as I mentioned it will be very very slow until July, so jus' sit tight, the progress will begin in about a month :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 06:58:12 PM by BigMike »

camokid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 07:16:01 PM »
I believe that the yourk pulley is tapered close to the same..... i thought about adapting a serpentine pulley from a kenworth york to the chrysler twin cylinder compressor. I have all the components to swap it, just dont need the serpentine clutch now so it is gone.... i may still have the  numbers somewhere...

Jeff
1990 xtra cab on a 84 runner frame, 4.3, 700r4, jeep and ford springs, and the marlin duals

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 07:44:53 PM »
Jeff, if you have the parts I'll buy em off your hands. Otherwise if you could look up the p/n#'s I would greatly appreciate it :beerchug:

Thanks in advance
BigMike

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »
Mike-

Here's a crazy thought: 

What about trying to "hybrid" your crank pulley?  I know the old 3.0 V6 engines used a regular v-belt drive for the AC... Maybe you could take apart the crank pulley from a 3.0 and bolt the one v-groove portion onto your 3RZ?  Dont know if it would fit, but seems like the closest possibility...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

ToyDozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 10:17:16 PM »
Hey BigMike,
The Serpentine pulley part number from Kenworth is #KA1480 Its a 6 groove setup though where if i remember correctly the AC on a 3rz has only 4 grooves. Though I would guess you could probably get away running a 4 groove belt on a 6 groove pulley.. Sure would be better then welding on the v-groove and having it balanced like you were saying..

As for the compressor, its flat out awesome!! There just isn't anything that I've aired up next to that out do the RV2!! Its sweet  and a whole lot more original then the old York thats so common now!

Anyways, this is my setup during its infancy...

Just let me know if you need any info.. I remember when I was in the research phase and coming up empty....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:12:53 PM by ToyDozer »
Jon Stensaa

ToyDozer@ACSAlaska.net
Accelerator : The stomped out hole in the floarboard!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 10:33:39 PM »
YES! That's Awesome! :booya: Thanks for the info!! :bowdown:

ToyDozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 11:04:41 PM »
YES! That's Awesome! :booya: Thanks for the info!! :bowdown:

DOH! Hold the phone!!

That was the wrong part number.. The right number is KA1480
If you go this route take some pictures of what you decide to do in regards to the magnetic coil. I ended up using the RV2 coil and not the kenworth/york coil but I believe the york one is probably stronger. Not sure that it’s absolutely necessary but bigger/stronger is better right??
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:39:48 PM by ToyDozer »
Jon Stensaa

ToyDozer@ACSAlaska.net

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 07:43:43 AM »
Kenworth is #KA1480

DOH! Hold the phone!!

Hey those are the same numbers, so is that the one I need?

ToyDozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 10:18:54 PM »
DOH! Hold the phone!!

If you go this route take some pictures of what you decide to do in regards to the magnetic coil. I ended up using the RV2 coil and not the kenworth/york coil but I believe the york one is probably stronger. Not sure that it’s absolutely necessary but bigger/stronger is better right??

Hey those are the same numbers, so is that the one I need?

Ya I edited the first post I made after I replied with the correct number.
I hate it when I go hunting for info and think I've found just what I need come to find out I should have read further to find all the little corrections..

So just to be absolutely certain the number you need is #KA1480
Sorry about all the confusion.. My bad!

Jon
Jon Stensaa

ToyDozer@ACSAlaska.net

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 2005, 12:45:11 PM »
Summer Projects Include, but not limited to:
  • Convert my cab into a 1st Gen Extra Cab.

Been there done that! (wow, I can finnally say that after two years!!!  :hammerhead: ) Good luck.... :thumbs:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #26 on: Jun 01, 2005, 01:10:37 PM »
I think its a good idea.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2005, 07:47:46 AM »
Hey that guy painted his truck. Looks much better without those checkers on the side

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2005, 07:21:14 AM »
Hey that guy .....

Okay now thats funny!  :laugh:  "That Guy" is me silly... :shake: ... and I liked the checkers!  :moon:

Don't mean to 'jack you post but this is what it looks like now...

And this is what it looked like when I bought it 2 years ago!!!  :smack:

If you do this, GOOD LUCK, its a lot of work! you'll need a lot of these  :beer:

Ks Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Building Lil BBB
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2005, 10:51:51 AM »
Mike you live in Washington right?  You hsould join up WATTORA.  Its not tacomas only her ein Washington!  Looks you your summer is gonna be fun.  Do you got links to the superchargers you are talking about?  I got the 3.0 as well and lookin for more power!
http://roots.zapto.org/~cwo/index.php
Central Washington Offroaders