Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734755 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #510 on: Sep 25, 2004, 01:04:36 AM »
Well feel terrible no more because much earlier today I got a chance to get the electric fan installed and got it's temp set on the thermostat, reset the computer one last time, and took it out for a spin after warming it up.

AND GUESS WHAT! IT RUNS ALMOST PERFECT NOW! That was the whole problem. Im sure the computer, being that the engine had never warmed up, was still in some open loop waiting to see all conditions normal before proceeding with full fuel mapping, etc.

It pulls really really strong to about upper mid range, I dunno maybe 3500+ rpm and then it kind'a goes flat and levels out. Im sure this is tuning related and not equipment related. It most likely needs some new plugs and wires, some injector cleaning and maybe a dizzy even.. But I STILL want to get a brand new Air flow meter so I can use my current one as a spare in case I need it on the trail someday..

Ryan, what are you talking about warranted? Can you exchange my sensor or something? Kidding right? :drooling: Let me know about this-

So tomorrow after noon I will see about wiring in the speed sensor (which I am still not even sure it needs it) and then I will try to wrap up the conversion on Sunday. I still need to mount the charcoal canister, mount the fuse box down, cover up some wiring, and I want to find some plastic and mount a (+) positive terminal in the engine bay to use as a master hook-up for any accessories I plan to install in the future (since I dont have the battery up there, I have no real place to wire in driving lights/radio/speakers/c.b./etc). So I will try to finish up everything under the hood by the close on Sunday. That would :rockingout:

Then starting next Tuesday I could begin tearing out the ol' '81 interior and get working on that. Then just get a muffler installed, get it smogged, get it painted and reupholstered, and then I'll be about finished with the truck. Then I'll be saving up for the suspension and drivetrain mods that I want to have finished by April or so.. CANT WAIT! :best:

Hey toyhatsu and ifssucks: KEEP WORKING IT MAN AND GET YOUR ENGINES RUNNING!!!! It's so great to be where I am so dont slow down even for a second!!

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2004, 01:08:03 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki