Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734759 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #450 on: Sep 19, 2004, 11:14:48 PM »
Mike, did you get anything done last night on your rig?

Ok guys, OK GUYS, OK GUYS!!!!!! I FINALLY TOOK HER OUT FOR A SPIN! AND LET ME TELL YA THIS ENGINE HAS A SERIOUS POWER BAND!

I plugged away all weekend, wasted almost 2 hrs messing around with electric fans before giving up for now and put the stocker back on despite clearance issues, got the rest of the 1" body mount for the cab fabed and installed, got some longer bolts for the bed and bolted it down, notched the stock crossmember to fit some temporary u-bolts and got it mounted, installed the rear drive line, cleaned out the bed and cab, got the seats back in, wired the T100's ignition wires direct into the 81's ignition cylinder - no more hot wiring, converted over to a 85-95 EFI throttle cable courtesy of freds40 (THANKS!!!), hooked up the powersteering pump and filled it and the cooler up with some fluid, bleeded the clutch - got it working, also found some air in my brake line at the driver rear drum - so now my brakes are ready for some use, discovered that all tires were about 10psi low - aired them up, vacuumed out the interior and tucked away the wires as best I could for now, installed both trans and tcase shift handles and boots, fired it up, pushed the clutch in, engaged the trans, and away I went.

It was dark by the time I got it out of the shop under its own power, so I really couldn't use the streets as the 81' is not wired at all = no brake, head, parking, license plate, dash, or blinker lights. Sure I could have driven it just down the block and back, but I was tired and still needed to clean up my weekend mess, so I just called it a night.

Our shop features ample room to drive around in the parking lot, so I was able to get her up to the top of 2nd gear, however I dont know the speed since my speedo isn't hooked up yet. Also, the one thing that I have not done yet is hooked up the speedsensor for the ECU, but I STILL did not get a check engine light. Oh, Did I tell you guys? My check engine light went away after the 2nd day of "test starts" I dont know what it was, but the computer doesn't see any errors at the moment. Even driving around through 1st and 2nd didnt throw any codes, so that's great news.

So as I was saying, I got it up to the top of 2nd gear and MAN THIS ENGINE KICKS BUTT!! It feels like a 22R-E in 2low, but with the momentum of 2high! Sure my truck is still stock, stock gearing + tires, but GEEZE IT FEELS SO LIGHT AND SO QUICK. Even when you bog it in 2nd, it just pulls right up to a high rev not letting anything hold it back. I really feel that this is the equivalent to the Turbo 22R-TE, but without the waiting for the boost and with the free rev'n of a 16 valve engine. And I mentioned that I struggled getting an electric fan installed. Yup, right now I cant see how im gonna do it, but IM GONNA. I REALLY REALLY want to use an electric fan. The stock clutch fan is Loud, annoying, and it makes a noticeable difference with the revs at an idle, SERIOUSLY, I can really tell a difference with the clutch fan off and then back on. So this engine will only have more giddy-up once I take that dang fan off.

So about pics, SORRY, no pics or movies for today. I was too excited and motivated to get this thing going by night fall that I forgot all about the camera. But I dont care so sucks to be you hahahahahahahaha

Ok, Check back tomorrow for some pics and some movies! LATER, :sleepy:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2004, 11:17:08 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki