Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 729621 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #390 on: Sep 10, 2004, 12:37:30 AM »
Hey guys, WWWWWWWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you've read in my previous post, My 3RZ is Alive. Two months and 5 days later, it runs.

The trouble with my Opening Circuit Relay became a potentially humongus disaster as I found out tonight that NO EFI circuits were operating. I checked every ground and I was perplexed. Totally bamboozled.

Then I used the KISS discipline (keep it simple stupid) and looked for something obvious and I noticed that there were two missing plugs in the engine compartment's fuse box. I thought 'Holy Crap' Im missing part of the wiring harness!!!! @#&@#*&#$*&$%(@* My only option was to check all of the plugs that I did have for a matching plug, and found them in the interior! I somehow carried some engine bay wires into the cabin and didnt realize it.

So once I plugged those in, boom! everything lit up and all systems were powered. Awesome :best:

So I put in 5 gal of 76's finest and attempted the first crank with fuel. It cranked and cranked and then it fired up (!!!!!!) but then quickly died. I then cranked it again and it wouldnt start. After messing around a bit, I tried it again, and it fired up again, but then died just as it tried to idle. So I thought I had something wrong with the idle circuit or something, but I remembered that Marlin had this same problem with a 5V-FE engine we put in a Landcruiser, and he found out that the Air Flow meter had debris on the sensor wire and it was messing everything up. So without any hesitation, I promptly called Marlin, tore the Air Flow ECM apart, and sure enough it was very dirty. After I cleaned it, I :crossed: and fired it up, and just like that, it fired right up like a champ. Idled very smoothly, reved really nice, and I could notice the computer learning the parameters as each time I popped WOT it got quicker and more responsive. I was so happy. :disturbed:

The above video is just some footage of me starting it up and rev'n it. The resolution is rather small (like 240x120 or something) but the audio is ok. Also my camera is notorious for not providing enough light in movie mode, so the shots of the interior hot wiring are very dark, but please have a look anyways :thumbs:

Well, I've got to finish some Physics homework due tomorrow, I've not studied, its 12:38am, it's dark, and im wearing sunglasses. Hit It!

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2004, 12:46:20 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki